Subscribe Today

Ski Doo 07 "Boy are they missing the boat"

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby Ovals Forever » March 4th, 2006, 4:32 am

This is off SkiDoTalk.com, where they are telling about there new sleds-

"For the four stroke crowd, Ski-Doo offers the 4-TEC V-800. Derived from the acclaimed Outlander 800H.O. EFI, the 4-TEC V-800 offers that great 4-stroke torque, fuel economy [25 U.S. m.p.g./10.6 km/L], and longevity. This electronic fuel injected engine ensures optimum performance in all conditions and produces 65HP. The V-800 is available in the Legend, Expedition, and Skandic models"

I believe they are going to make the same mistake Polaris made, they are going to stay with what they have one to many years and a big blue train is going to run them into the ground.

They aren't taking the four stroke thing serious and it is going to kill them.
Ovals Forever

Postby Bash » March 4th, 2006, 7:49 am

Take a look at their tech page (Doo). They say 2>4. If they are so convinced of this why bother with a 4? I'm confused. It's hard to beat a motor that makes power on every other stroke (vs. every 4th stroke) BUT how much longer can oil burning power plants survive when EPA restrictions keep getting tighter? The ultimate question is this: Will 2 strokes be able to survive future restrictions? Probably only with low or no ash oils (some kind of miracle synthetic or something). How much will that schit cost?

I think the technology (2 stroke) could adapt. However, what is more cost effective to manufacture AND operate? With Yamaha devoted to 4 strokes and everyone else favoring 2 stokes it should be interesting to watch this unfold.

Hopefully there will actually be snow in the future.
"New technology is the DEVIL!"

-- With your help I have come to realize that my grandfather's 66' Rupp is "good enough". Yep, rider forward designs are ridiculous. Thanks, you've saved me 7 grand! WEEEEEE! --
Bash

Postby Bar It! » March 4th, 2006, 4:51 pm

Thought we'd see an E-TEC engine for '07. Figured they would "clean sheet" the 800, 1000 or both for this. Guess not.....
Give us this day our daily braaaaaaaap!
Bar It!

Postby whitedust » March 5th, 2006, 6:30 am

Ski-doo must be trying to commit suicide by 2 stoke. What a boring 2007 line up. Yamaha has to be loving this as doo owners that want 4 strokes will be jumping ship in huge numbers. Come on BRP wake up and join the 4 stroke revolution.
whitedust

Postby *RABID » March 5th, 2006, 10:06 am

They have...
Yamaha took factory available technology (sport bike motor) and transformed it...
Factory available to BRP is ATV engines...
*RABID

Postby Ovals Forever » March 5th, 2006, 10:58 am

Yea Doo took a 400 atv engine that is a good engine but Yamaha used a 1000cc motorcycle engine, there is no comparison.
Yamaha has been fine tuning these crotch rocket engines for close to 30 years now.
When it comes to 4 strokes Doo don't have a prayer and they know it, that is why they keep blowing up there 2 strokes.
I just seen a out board comerical today where Bombardier was bad mouthing 4 strokes, in the comerical they say something about when your high maintance 4 stroke is in the shop the two strokes are out on the lake.
Any one else seen this?
Them dumb F-----s
Ovals Forever

Postby whitedust » March 5th, 2006, 11:12 am

What I saw this season is a frozen crank on my 2003 Doo 800 with less than 4,000 miles. I installed a new short block at the tune of $2,200. I also saw 4 other ski doo sleds in my dealers shop also with blown cranks due to bad factory sealed crank bearings. Doo knows these factory crank sealed bearings are bad but sorry out of warranty. I say and other consumers say OK you are correct out of warranty but next time I will purchase a sled that does not have these 2 stoke engine problems and hello Yamaha 4 srtoke.
whitedust

Postby Ovals Forever » March 5th, 2006, 12:43 pm

At one time I used to think Rotax engines were almost bullet proof and I think the Rotery valve 583, 670 were but these new engines the way it sounds to me are time bombs.
Why would anyone pay $8000.00 to $12000.00 for a sled when in 3000 to 4000 miles you have to stick $2000.00 into it.
You might as well take your $100.00 bills and put them on your toilet paper roll and use them to wipe your -ss. lol
Ovals Forever

Postby ice_racer_440 » March 5th, 2006, 1:36 pm

I dont think they are missing the boat. They have technology that you havent heard of I guess. They make 4 strokes (motorcycle and fourwheeler) I guess they feel the time isnt right yet. There sitting pretty good yet far as EPA goes. They aint sweating yet. There #1 in the market all they need to do is improve what they got. When the time comes (Early release 07 possibly) 08 darn likely.
ice_racer_440

Postby whitedust » March 5th, 2006, 1:42 pm

Yep my next new sled will be a 150HP+ 4 stroke and probably @ $12K or more. But at least I won't have to worry about frozen cranks and such as I did with 2 strokes. Back to the thread I do believe Ski-doo is in trouble sticking with 2 strokes and I would not purchase one without a 5 year free warranty. The only hope BRP has for the future is lower prices on 2 strokes or offer 5 year bumper to bumper free warrantees. Why spend $12K on a 2 stroke that you know will not be as reliable as a 4 stroke? I just do not see the technically informed buyer purchasing a 2 stroke any longer and the new leader will be Yamaha.
whitedust

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum