Subscribe Today

Rate Yamaha Mono RA or GT Shock Rear Suspensions

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby whitedust » January 27th, 2007, 11:07 am

Yamaha Mono Shock rear suspension RA or GT good suspensions in the 121 Vector and Apex? I had some saddle time on 2005 RX1 with RA Mono Shock and felt it was about even with my 2003 Ski-doo MXZ ZX 800 SC3 with variable rate shocks. If I'm shelling out $12,000 bucks for a new Apex with extras I want a better ride. How do you rate the RA or GT 121 suspensions compared to what?
whitedust

Postby MM700 » January 29th, 2007, 1:04 am

I rode the RA...not the GT.... it's a much cushier ride than my sc 10-3..but I have an x package which can be rather stiff for most folks....I loved the weight transfer...much better than my rev...I think the Ra can be set-up to ride more like an adreline ski-doo...but it is not a stiff snow cross type suspension...so I don't think it's a great ditch banging suspension...but it is a smooth riding rear with good weight transfer and lots of adjustability...I would rate it as an excellent trail suspension....one of the best out there..just don't expect it to be a ditch banger...it's more of a soft cushy ride...more like an m-10....I like it better than the sc-10-3...but again depends how you ride...if your gonna pound ditches...it may not be for you.
MM700

Postby kenlacy » January 29th, 2007, 5:34 am

You can pound ditches with it if you put the stiffer spring in. Not with an 05 though - if you put a stiffer spring in the 05's your just gonna break soemthing else. The 06's and after had over 50 changes to beef them up. If that 05 felt like a Doo SC3, then the mono you rode was setup like horsechit.
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Postby xcsp » February 1st, 2007, 12:41 am

Only dislike I have with the monoshock on the 121" Apex is the track can come in contact with the rear end of the shock-some have had it worse than others-actual gouging of the rubber.

With this contact comes wear on the INSIDE of the track! Yamaha unfortunately doesn't have much to say on this problem. Doesn't matter if you have studs or not!
xcsp

Postby whitedust » February 1st, 2007, 3:00 am

GT or RA 121 monoshock have rear shock rubbing track problem or both? Stiffer spring help problem?
whitedust

Postby kenlacy » February 1st, 2007, 3:55 am

Both have the problem - no a stiffer spring wont help that. I believe in 07 they began putting on a guard so the track wouldn't hit the shock. Also, some guys worry the yamaha fix may cause some drag so there is also this out on the market - scroll to the bottom of the page after you click on the link
[url]http://www.ulmerracing.com/Acc.htm[/url]

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Postby whitedust » February 1st, 2007, 4:28 am

Looks like additional bearings to worry about. I would stud up the center too. and don't like hiting anything with studs ...went thru that with Formula 3 years ago. 136 track does not have this problem?
whitedust

Postby xcsp » February 1st, 2007, 6:01 am

NO changes from Yamaha for '07 suspension. The Attak sleds have some guides on either side of the shock mount, but none on the 121" sleds that I'm aware of.

I've never had a sled have wear on the inside of the track!! Until now.

The Ulmer track rub kit as mentioned by Kenlacy is an alternative, but Yamaha should come up with a real update!!! That and get rid of the "plastic" bushings in the suspension mounting crossshafts-expensive to replace and damage easily. Haven't seen the other manufacturers use them.
xcsp

Postby kenlacy » February 1st, 2007, 6:58 am

Yamahas real solution are the white nylon guides on both sides of the shock mount. They do their job well, just some people feel they might give a little resistance so the next step was bearings.

Your right - it is just the Attack or longer track Monos that have them - Not sure why they didn't put them on all the models.

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Postby AH-64 » February 1st, 2007, 7:37 am

You Yamaha guy's are the best!!! They keep building junk and you guy's keep buying every year hoping it will get better. I wish I had customers that would allow me to to do sub-par work and yet keep coming back shelling out that hard earned money.
AH-64

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum