Subscribe Today

Rate Yamaha Mono RA or GT Shock Rear Suspensions

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby mach1mikeM1M » February 1st, 2007, 7:48 am

Icehole is that you?:B
mach1mikeM1M

Postby MM700 » February 1st, 2007, 8:58 am

[quote=AH-64]You Yamaha guy's are the best!!! They keep building junk and you guy's keep buying every year hoping it will get better. I wish I had customers that would allow me to to do sub-par work and yet keep coming back shelling out that hard earned money.[/quote]

Let me guess ???? You ride a cat???....lol
MM700

Postby whitedust » February 1st, 2007, 11:43 am

Yep we are the best and buy the best! Were the plastic bushings in the suspension mounting crossshafts supposed to eliminate grease zerks? Good idea gone bad? Why nylon guides in 136 and not 121?
whitedust

Postby AH-64 » February 1st, 2007, 11:51 am

Nope been running Doo's for the last 10 years. Before that SS-440. I liked the 440 but love the skidoos. Still have an '81 SS-440. Just have to go with what runs & rides the best.
AH-64

Postby xcsp » February 2nd, 2007, 12:41 am

[quote=whitedust]Yep we are the best and buy the best! Were the plastic bushings in the suspension mounting crossshafts supposed to eliminate grease zerks? Good idea gone bad? Why nylon guides in 136 and not 121?[/quote]

The plastic bushings could have been a way to avoid grease zerks, but Yamaha has added grease zerks now so why keep the bushings?

Why no guides on the 121" is a good question.

Looking on Yamaha's site, the rear pivot arm on an Apex and an Attak look to be the same except for the Attak's plastic guides, and that the cross-shaft tube is wider as the track-carry wheels mount differently-on an Apex, the hweels are mounted directly at the end of the shaft.

Wonder if the Attak rear pivot arm could be modified to fit an Apex??
xcsp

Postby apexman » February 8th, 2007, 2:18 pm

have a 2006 apex rtx and the mono shock works and rides as good as any sled out on the market ,tightend the rear shock spring up two notches and you can go as fast as you want to go.
apexman

Postby 4StrokenGT » February 8th, 2007, 4:33 pm

Hey guy's , I have a 06gt and i have had some problems . when i bought the sled , first thing i did was put the 6.5 (fat boy spring)on the rear , one day out at Starvation lake on BEAT trails i somehow cut the electric line to the shock , when that happens shock resets to the very middle postion , your display does not work , but the shock resets to the middle . well i continued to hammer through the trails and blew the shock out . took it to my dealer, they fixed it , i rode it ..60 miles down the trail in christmas i notice im pulling some awsome hole shots and the skis were coming off the ground , thought it was cool . well after a buddys pulls up and say's "holy#*$&, your hooking up!!!" i decide i better check out where my tranfer is set . the transfer rod was broke in two pieces , but wedged together in a v shape and the point of the v is digging into my track ..OUCH!!! took it back to the dealer , they fixed it , i picked it up , pulled the shock , sent it out to be revalved , put it back in . and now i have not had a problem at all for over 500 miles , so im hope were good to go .i am a big guy , i go 300 in gear . but that thing was a joke until i got the shock revalved. it would bottom out if you hiy anything over 40mph. i do ride the hard , but i have always ridden my yamahas hard , thats why i continue to buy yamaha, they seem to be the ones that make it home every time , even with the problems i have had , i have not missed a mile of riding with my buddys ( because of sled problems)even with the blow shock i raced it in a drag cross event . and with the transfer bar , i just pulled it off and then rode it 400 miles like that , with the 13mm sway bar , it was fine , and really kind of fun , pulling the skis two foot off the ground at 60mph will bring a smile to your face !!! sorry to be so long winded on my first post . just wanted to give ya a heads up , if your going to ride it hard , get that shock revalved , also get the 6.5 (fat boy spring ) i also really really like the (pioneer)13mm sway bar , took ALL of the body roll out of the sled , feels like the viper and the sx (on rails).I also use the ullmer shock rub kit , thing works like a charm , simple and it works , i went with the Ullmer spark plug kit and top gear.my A$$ dyno says hell yes , but who knows ...i am spanking EVERYTHING until 90-100 then the big iron go bye bye .

well now you have my novel . sorry bout that . i just like talking sleds .
[b]06APEXGT[/b]
4StrokenGT

Previous

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum