Subscribe Today

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

Postby vwbuggyman » February 3rd, 2007, 11:56 am

I'm finally looking to upgrade from my old '96 Formula-S. That little 380 motor has been great, but I just need something with a little more oomph to it. Having to go WOT just to maintain 20mph up some hills gets me down big time.

Almost on cue, a pair of MXZ's goes on sale a few miles down the street. A 99 380, and an '03 600 HO. The 380 sold virtually the same day, I wasn't interested in that anyway(I was looking to UPgrade).

I'm hoping to keep my old 380 as a "backup" sled, or to let friends ride. The owner is asking $3700 for the HO, it's in great shape. Only has 1300 miles on it, the only slight issue is that the kill switch is a little "sticky", as in you gotta really smash it down to kill the motor. Or just pull the DESS plug out. It has dually carbides, other than that it's completely stock. I test-rode it and did not notice any problems or irregularities. Immaculate shape. No seat rips, tears, scratches, dents, nothing. Tracking was straight as an arrow. He followed maintenance exactly, fogging the motor, changing the coolant, ect. Used only Amsoil HP Injector oil in it(what I use anyway).It has the electronic RER reverse system as well.

I thought this seemed like a pretty decent deal. I was looking at a used Yammy Warrior, but it sold before I got a chance to inquire. I checked out the new Phazers, but I decided I really didn't need a new machine, and I read that they have a decent share of problems(something about clogged heat exchangers). The guy also has a double trailer with only about 500 miles on it. He asked $900 for it alone, but said he'd sell me the HO and the trailer for $4300. That way I can haul both the HO and my old 380 at the same time. My current utility trailer is only big enough for one machine, so I'll probably sell that to make up some of the money.

What do you guys think? To me it sounds like a great deal, but I can never be sure if a sled has inherent problems to its model year or other miscellaneous things.

Also, he claimed he got it to 105 on the local lake. I thought this seemed a little high(my BS detector blipped), but that's coming from my sled's top speed of 57.
vwbuggyman

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

Postby FreezurBurnt » February 3rd, 2007, 12:22 pm

it quite possible to hit 105 with the 600HO

Is it the REV or ZX

They had both in 03 with 600HO
[b]ride Chelmsford,Northern Ont. area[/b]

[img]http://www.s-seriesforum.com/forum/images/smilies/bowdown.gif[/img][img]https://www.snowgoer.com/SharedContent/cfb/memberphotos/3793/rig/my%20truck%20driver%20side%20neg.jpg[/img]
[green][b][i]01 ZR 600 early release[/b][/i][/green]
FreezurBurnt

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

Postby vwbuggyman » February 3rd, 2007, 12:27 pm

It's the REV platform.

I'll probably go WOT with it just to see how fast it goes, with my trusty GPS along, but the trails around here really don't permit(condition wise, not by law) speeds of more than 30 or so.

SO it really will go 100+? I was under the apparently false impression that only those 1000's or highly modded machines would in reality pass 100. That's what I get for riding a 380 for years I suppose.
vwbuggyman

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

Postby U.P. Skidoo » February 3rd, 2007, 2:00 pm

Find out if he had the rings replaced.....03 600's had ring issues...You might be in for a repair bill down the road....
[img]http://www.freepichosting.com/Thumbs/421591018/1/600/450.jpg[/img][img]http://www.freepichosting.com/Thumbs/421591018/0/200/136.jpg[/img]
U.P. Skidoo

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

Postby vwbuggyman » February 3rd, 2007, 2:34 pm

What do you mean by "bad" rings? Did they leak, wear fast, what? How long would it generally take for these rings to go "bad"? The sled has about 1200 miles on it and the owner -says- he's never had any problems with it. I hesitate to think he's yanking me, since when I first called he openly admitted there was a minor clutch problem with the 380 that would need a repair(before he knew which sled I was interested in).

I'll ask him about it in the morning in any case.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but it "idled down" quite a bit. As in you would be riding, then release the throttle. It would drop down to about 1k RPM according to the tach. Then about 15 seconds later it suddenly drops down to about 700. I asked, and he said it did this since it was new. I figured it was just the MPEM dropping the idle to save fuel or reduce heat produced when the machine isn't moving. Once at 700, the idle is rock solid. I did pull the rope slowly to do a rough compression test, and both "lopes" felt even. I don't know if it had been pre-warmed, but on the first good pull it fired right up.

I don't plan to do any vast amount of riding, nor any mountain or "stressful" riding on the machine. Mostly trail, with some lake runs. I average around 300 miles a year(less the last few years), not a lot by anyone's standards.

He bought it in the 03-04 season. The last time it was used was the 04-05 season, he said it didn't get used at all last year.

Unless I spot some big time red flags, I think I'm going to go for this. I get a virtually new sled plus a thrice-used trailer for less than the cheapest new sled on the market.

Thanks for the input.
vwbuggyman

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

Postby whitedust » February 4th, 2007, 3:47 am

Doo rings in 2003 were a problem and I'm sure this guy knows it everbody knows it. You would have to replace rings to updated material to be sure the engine stays running good. Deduct for ring job then make offer.
whitedust

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

Postby culvert » February 4th, 2007, 4:43 am

I had 4000 miles on my 03 RevX 600 H.O. and mine ran great I wish I would have never sold it, it would have been a great spare sled.
[img]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w13/ericmarquardt/Picture806small.jpg[/img]
Fear the Culvert
culvert

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

Postby FreezurBurnt » February 4th, 2007, 11:32 am

do yourself a favor, clean the carbs and clutches
[b]ride Chelmsford,Northern Ont. area[/b]

[img]http://www.s-seriesforum.com/forum/images/smilies/bowdown.gif[/img][img]https://www.snowgoer.com/SharedContent/cfb/memberphotos/3793/rig/my%20truck%20driver%20side%20neg.jpg[/img]
[green][b][i]01 ZR 600 early release[/b][/i][/green]
FreezurBurnt

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

Postby arcticcat1224 » February 6th, 2007, 11:04 am

[quote=vwbuggyman]It's the REV platform.

I'll probably go WOT with it just to see how fast it goes, with my trusty GPS along, but the trails around here really don't permit(condition wise, not by law) speeds of more than 30 or so.

SO it really will go 100+? I was under the apparently false impression that only those 1000's or highly modded machines would in reality pass 100. That's what I get for riding a 380 for years I suppose.[/quote]

I did 103 on the local air strip with my MXZX 600 H.O.
Bought it with 253 miles. Got it to 690 last year and this year im at about 1300.

At about 3000 is when the non updated rings go.
The teflon coating would wear off and cause it to start very hard,
low compersiona and low power.

When you go to look at it make sure the headlight brackeds arent broken.
Bogey wheels arent cracked.
dosent leak oil out of the oil cap.
Check the chain case dip stick, lots of metal shavings?

Do all of this and if any of them are there deduct from the price.
If he wont give in. Walk off thier easy to find as long as it isant a MXZX not just the standard MXZ
arcticcat1224

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

Postby vwbuggyman » February 8th, 2007, 9:56 am

I checked it over. Like I said, the machine was in practically mint shape. Nothing broken, cracked, the chaincase was fresh and clean. None of the track wheels had any visible defects or damage. Engine compartment was spotless.

I offered him $3300 for the machine under the premise of never paying the original asking price. He agreed and said he'd toss in the helmet as well. He had heard of the ring issue, but said that he didn't plan on riding it often(even less than planned due to poor conditions the last few years) so didn't bother replacing them. That's probably why he instantly agreed to $400 less than the asking price. It currently has 1100 something miles, and I doubt I'll hit 3k with this machine. I'll have something else by then.
vwbuggyman

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum