Subscribe Today

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

Postby whitedust » February 8th, 2007, 11:35 am

Don't know what to say regarding ring issue and 3000 miles. Hard call. The rings are flaking now and with every stroke of the engine but the cylinders are treated and very hard. Thinking it through some of that residue will be sucked into the crankcase and could cause big problems. Yep I would do the ring job and ride the sled like I stole it.
whitedust

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

Postby vwbuggyman » February 11th, 2007, 6:54 am

I picked it up on Friday evening and hauled it the couple miles to my lake house. It hadn't been run since I rode it last weekend and it started on the first pull and settled to a nice idle of about 800.

Had time to put about 100 miles on it this weekend. No complaints about performance. The only slight quirk I noticed that was right around 4500-5000 RPM(roughly 20mph) the engine is very, very jumpy and kinda sounds like one cylinder is missing. It doesn't like to go that speed. The slightest feather on the flipper and it shoots up 500 RPM and runs silk smooth again. A little slower, silk smooth. Just that one range it doesn't like. It's not really a problem since 20mph is too slow for a cruise speed and too fast for the one-sled-wide trails around here. My Sea-Doo does this as well, I assume it was probably a RPM range that was never used during the break-in.

I'm not sure if I'll bother with the rings. I won't be racing it, I won't be doing any "hard" riding, like I said mostly trails with a lake run here and there. If performance issues crop up I'll know what the problem is, but I just can't bring myself to haul it to the shop when there's nothing wrong with it.
vwbuggyman

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

Postby Jpak 7p » February 11th, 2007, 8:39 am

I believe the ring problem was a Doo recall. My guess is the problem has already been taken care of. If the sled has 3000 miles, I wouldn't worry about it too much. IF it was a problem, you or the previous owner would have seen decreased performance.
Jpak 7p

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

Postby arcticcat1224 » February 16th, 2007, 6:17 am

Good find man,

Hopefully you will get a few thousand great problem free miles out of her.

Mitch
arcticcat1224

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

Postby KneeDeepInSnow » February 19th, 2007, 1:50 pm

[quote=vwbuggyman]

I'm not sure if I'll bother with the rings.[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/KDX250/russian_roulette.gif[/IMG][/quote]

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/KDX250/popc1.gif[/IMG]

its only a matter of time man...I'd say get'r done. Sure not all of them went down, but if it does and scuffs a jug you can burn that $400 you saved.
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/KDX250/SDbrbr.jpg[/IMG]
[b][i][blue]DAYS GET SHORTER, SNOW GETS DEEPER, LIFE GETS BETTER[/blue][/i][/b]
KneeDeepInSnow

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

Postby MM700 » February 20th, 2007, 1:15 am

Get it done....take it to your local doo dealer asap...that is exactly how my 03 600 Ho acted before the left ring went, and took out the cylinder too..thankfully I had an excellent doo dealer...they covered everything...and gave me a new left cylinder and new pistons and rings on both sides..not a lick of trouble since...sled runs great...get it done..it may not cost you a thing if it hasn't been done...I too believe it was a recall.
MM700

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

Postby whitedust » February 20th, 2007, 4:01 am

I tried to tell him about rings before he bought the sled. Chances are he has an engine that needs rings... buggy thought not. I was same way about doo 800 crank seals now have new engine & $2K lighter in wallet. No longer think it won't happen to me when odds are against it.
whitedust

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

Postby MM700 » February 21st, 2007, 1:24 am

Whitedust...the rings/piston thing is exactly why I'm looking at four strokes...these guys talk about how the doo sdi sleds get the mileage of a four stroke with less weight...that's nice and all..but I don't want to be rebuilding engines, cleaning powervalves, and the worst job (if you keep your sled clean and maintained)..is scrubing that soot off the yellow belly pan.....I won't miss any of that stuff...hopefully by next year this time...a little extra weight is worth it to me...I ain't banging ditches or jumping stuff anymore, anyways.
MM700

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

Postby whitedust » February 21st, 2007, 4:01 am

Only banging I do is unplowed ungroomed fire roads in the deep. I'll miss hopping a little air over small jumps but not getting younger either. Still not sure Attak GT or Apex GT? Doo SDI markets great gas milage, low oil use but so what when cranks and rings burn down. 2s will never out last 4s engines and 4s will expand to more sleds.
whitedust

'03 MXZ 600 H.O

Postby MM700 » February 21st, 2007, 4:14 am

[quote=whitedust]Only banging I do is unplowed ungroomed fire roads in the deep. I'll miss hopping a little air over small jumps but not getting younger either. Still not sure Attak GT or Apex GT? Doo SDI markets great gas milage, low oil use but so what when cranks and rings burn down. 2s will never out last 4s engines and 4s will expand to more sleds.[/quote]

forget the apex or attack wait until sunday evening..the 08's will be released...new FX(..rumored 130 HP efi motor)...and 50 lbs lighter than the current nytro.
MM700

PreviousNext

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum