Subscribe Today

problems on a 88 indy trail

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby locator441 » February 1st, 2009, 9:06 am

I have a 88 polaris indy trail with a 488 fan cooled engine. I put a hole in the piston. well I changed it out and put it back together and now it dose not want to run right. it is slow as hell it use to run 90 to 95 before the piston went out now it will only do 50 and it takes awhile to get up there. any help would be great
locator441

Postby Turn Five Racing » February 2nd, 2009, 12:43 am

Did you ever figure out why you burnt down? Are you sure that the cylinder is ok, could be your compression is low. Usually a hole in the piston is a sign of to much heat. Are your carbs clean? A plugged jet will cause this issue.
Turn Five Racing

Postby ROTALARIS » February 14th, 2009, 1:52 am

did ya install the piston the correct way? The ring pins should be facing the intake .LOOK DOWN THE SPARK PLUG HOLE W/ A LITE THERE SHOULD BE a arrow on top of piston facing exhaust
Rot.
READY-SET-SNOW! 2 many sleds not enough time!
ROTALARIS

Postby Norsk » February 14th, 2009, 6:08 am

Did you check your carb boots for cracks?
Did you clean out the crankcase or check for damage inside?
Seals?
It sounds like your problem is still there, soon to be more damage if not already.

Was this the first ride of the season this happened? What maintenance was done before?
Norsk

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum