Subscribe Today

my poor yamaha

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

my poor yamaha

Postby fishsled » August 6th, 2001, 7:27 am

Hello, After Re-building the top and bottom end on my 87 570cc, my sled runs poorly, it has good compression, but starts hard and has very little throttle response, it also backfires some...Where could I have gone wrong?? any advise would be helpfull, Thanks!!
fishsled

my poor yamaha

Postby Nunavut » August 6th, 2001, 7:36 am

time to face the music man, the beast is on its last legs. I'd think about signing a DNR(do not resuscitate) form and put it to rest.

Second Place is just a nice way of saying you are the first loser
Nunavut

my poor yamaha

Postby pearson » August 6th, 2001, 9:24 am

I had a 88 Exciter that ran perfect from day 1 and never broke down. The only problem I had was the floats got stuck every once and a while. Maybe rebuild both carbs and try again. If not, get a gun and put that thing to rest, 14 years old it's probably on it's last leg.
pearson

my poor yamaha

Postby pearson » August 6th, 2001, 9:25 am

There's no such thing as a poor Yamaha!!!!!!
pearson

my poor yamaha

Postby Schultz » August 6th, 2001, 10:22 am

First off, I know nothing about that particular sled, but here's my $.02:

My first reaction would be to check the carbs/carb (don't know if it has one or two). Plugged jet, or something maybe. I also assume you put a new plug in and that it is getting good spark. It's getting plenty of air right? I've had mouse nests in my airbox before, causes problems ;) Also same thing on the exhuast ;) No other simple things off the top of my head. Did it run before you rebuilt it?
Schultz

my poor yamaha

Postby vmaxjohn » August 7th, 2001, 8:51 am

Double check that the choke plungers aren't stuck in their bores. These are the first thing to stick from gummy goo, especially when storing. Next, make sure timing is right on, you may have gotten it off, but if you only did the top end, you'd think it should be fine. Make sure the exhuast is on properly, no leaks around the gaskets. Also, remember that it's dang hot out, and your sled will run very rich, and that Yamaha's are sensitive to over choking, they'll burp and fart just like you would after a guys weekend of pizza and beer! Good luck!
sneaky guy
vmaxjohn

my poor yamaha

Postby indyized » August 7th, 2001, 9:17 am

I gotta agree with vmaxjohn. check the timing if you removed the stator, also it is warm and that will have an effect.
indyized

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum