Subscribe Today

carb jets

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

carb jets

Postby fishsled » August 9th, 2001, 12:30 am

Thank you for your help with my 87 570cc yamaha,
after I cleared the jets out, it now runs\starts like a champ!!
What is the rule on jet sizes as far as altitude?
do you need smaller jets the higher you go?
Who sells them mail order?
Thanks for the help
fishsled

carb jets

Postby Schultz » August 9th, 2001, 2:03 am

Hey cool, glad we could help.

As far as jets go. The higher you go the less air there is so it will run richer. You need to lean it out (smaller). Best thing to do is to find a service manual for your old sled and it will have a chart telling you what Main, Pilot, and needle jet to run. You also have to take into consideration the temp. The colder it is the leaner it will run. If you can't find a manual for the sled, call a Yamaha dealer they should have the shop manual and should be happy to tell you which jets to run over the phone.

Only mail order place I've ever used is Dennis Kirk www.denniskirk.com . They have jets and jet carriers, wrenches and such. But my local dealer is usually about the same price and I have them the same day.

CS...

*This Message was edited on 09-Aug-01 07:04 AM by schultz*
Schultz

carb jets

Postby toydoc » August 9th, 2001, 2:07 am

Yes, higher you go- smaller the jet.
www.benderracing.com
www.hiperf.com
I use and like both ( fast, good service )
I think yamaha had a update for the 570 carbs in 87...may be more than one.
If I remember right, they came with Mic. butterfly carbs.... then updated to Mic. 38mm round slides with power jets,..... then updated to plug power jets,... then the last update was ExciterII needles,.. that fixed the (sometimes) engine burn downs... I think I got it right, that was a long time ago.
Ski-rope,2 skis,Turbo...can I pull you around the yard????
toydoc

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum