Subscribe Today

Battery Drain on '98 EXT EFI??

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby Mainecat » September 17th, 2001, 10:30 pm

I would guess it is electric start as the 98 EFI's were batteryless. Pull the back of the keyswitch (plug) off and if after a couple days the battery does NOT go dead you have a short in your keyswitch. I have had this happen on a Pantera.
Mainecat

Postby Mainecat » September 26th, 2001, 12:09 am

Trace all the wires you have a short somewhere. Make sure the battery leads are not rubbing. Are you sure your sled is batteryless. I know the 97 ZR's are but I am not sure the ext's were. When you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump running? If you do its NOT batteryless.
Mainecat

Postby Mainecat » September 26th, 2001, 10:33 pm

The flashing codes mean something. I am not sure what each means. In the shop manual for the sled (if you can find one) it tells what each code means. If you hear the pump shut off its not a short in the pump. If it keeps running the pressure regulator or another sensor is gone and needs to be replaced. You really need the manual for that sled. Maybe a dealer can help by just answering your questions. You could just pull a fuse one at a time until you locate the problem circuit. Let me know how you make out. You dont have the batteryless system.
Mainecat

Postby Boondocker » September 27th, 2001, 6:03 am

There are one or two relays in that system (little blue box) that plug into the harness. They are located right by the ECU, it is probably hung up or sticking open. Unplug one at a time if two; and see if the problem cures itself. There is also a inline fuse there too; being that you here the pump run it's not a short or the fuse would blow. The fuel regulator is mechanical; that is not your problem. You might want to load test the battery too, but I would bet it's a hung relay or it could be the voltage regulator you could unplug it too. Regulator should be mounted above foot hold below ECU & battery. There is no short; if you have a short it burns up wiring or fuses.

*This Message was edited on 27-Sep-01 11:12 AM by Boondocker*

*This Message was edited on 27-Sep-01 11:14 AM by Boondocker*
Boondocking?
"Going Beyond the Point of Ridiculous!"

I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night!
Boondocker

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum