Subscribe Today

Anti-theft ideas

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Anti-theft ideas

Postby Luv2sled » October 2nd, 2001, 4:16 am

UUHHHHHHH>.....NO
Life is like a crap sandwich, the more bread you have the less crap you have to eat.
Luv2sled

Anti-theft ideas

Postby Ropepuller » October 2nd, 2001, 4:59 am

Or so you think. I've done it twice, my RM 250, fired it up with shut off closed, had enough fuel in carb to get nice and warm (no cold siezure) and melted exhaust side off piston when it leaned out at slightly higher than idle rpm. Did it again to my 440 Sno-Twister when it just plain ran out of fuel (free-air) at low R's also. Both of course are carbed and pre-mix which could contribute to the ash tray making.
[b]When in doubt.....whip it out[/b]
Ropepuller

Anti-theft ideas

Postby Luv2sled » October 2nd, 2001, 5:37 am

Ropepuller,

If I turn my fuel shut off valve to the off position (the valve is located between the fuel tank and the carbs) and let the gas burn out of the carbs (well, not really burn but you know what I mean) and the sled dies because it is out of gas, are you trying to tell me that I can start it back up? I don't think so. The only fuel that might remaind is in the carb bowl and that won't start the engine...no way, no how.

There are thousands of sleds every year that run out of gas for whatever reason and don't burn down.
Life is like a crap sandwich, the more bread you have the less crap you have to eat.
Luv2sled

Anti-theft ideas

Postby Ropepuller » October 2nd, 2001, 7:34 am

I was merely trying to point out that it is possible to scuff a piston from running a 2-stroke out of fuel. Probable, maybe not, possible yes, even at low rpm. I just don't like taking the chance of running them out of fuel and feel there is a much safer sled disabler like installing a hidden ignition switch. Now that I think back to the low speed piston failures I experienced I recall I was using Yamalube in both instances. lol, just had to throw that one in. Over and out bud.
Ropepuller

Anti-theft ideas

Postby Luv2sled » October 3rd, 2001, 6:04 am

Ropepuller,

Don't use Yamalube so not sure what you mean.
Luv2sled

Anti-theft ideas

Postby Ropepuller » October 3rd, 2001, 7:11 am

Thought you were a Yammi guy...just trying to rile you up. I've used it for years in everything with good results (w/ exception to above mentioned problems). Have started using Klotz in a few things as of late.
Ropepuller

Anti-theft ideas

Postby indyized » October 3rd, 2001, 9:41 am

How do you burn a piston when running out of fuel? If the gas runs dry the motor stops running and their is no more fire. I don't believe itis the spark plug that burns the piston it is the generated heat from the friction etc?
indyized

Anti-theft ideas

Postby Ropepuller » October 3rd, 2001, 10:59 am

What happens if you put itty bitty jets in your carb? You lean out the fuel mixture and create a hotter combustion, usually resulting in piston damage. The same thing happens when you run it out of fuel. It's still running but getting sporadic fuel, leaning itself out before it runs out completly. Usually damage only occurs at higher speeds and is associated with high compression,performace pipes or cheap ass pistons. I'm done on this subject. Ya all think what you want..........poperuller
Ropepuller

Anti-theft ideas

Postby Luv2sled » October 3rd, 2001, 2:20 pm

Well, I usualy brag about my Yammies, but never about my cats. Anyway, I use only Injex in all my sleds.
Luv2sled

Anti-theft ideas

Postby kungfutu » October 4th, 2001, 2:22 am

You can get some good distance if you shut off the valve and not drain the carbs. I done it a couple times after working on the sled.
kungfutu

PreviousNext

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum