Subscribe Today

NH renegade

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

NH renegade

Postby mikeNH » October 15th, 2001, 2:37 pm

I've heard Spectro is great. I am switching to it this year after using regular stuff last year. 4 of my riding buddies used it all last year and when the sleds were torn apart for pre-season check ups the valves on all 4 were clean as a whistle.

Seeing that first hand convinced me...
mikeNH

NH renegade

Postby NH_Renegade » October 16th, 2001, 2:26 pm

Valves are my least concern. I am more concerned about motor longevity.
[i]NH_Renegade[/i] :C
NH_Renegade

NH renegade

Postby mikeNH » October 17th, 2001, 11:06 am

Help me out then...

Wouldn't clean valves indicate clean and efficient operation?

My local dealer will only put Spectro in their sleds.

We all did about 2500 miles last winter with no issues.
mikeNH

NH renegade

Postby zr » October 17th, 2001, 2:56 pm

Well,well, look who I found here! MikeNH how are ya? Talking about the Spectro are ya? Worked pretty good for us didn't it?
zr

NH renegade

Postby mikeNH » October 18th, 2001, 12:15 am

Yes it did. Convinced me. Especially after what Steve said about it.
mikeNH

NH renegade

Postby BLADEGUY » October 18th, 2001, 5:38 am

I put almost 5000 on my Grand Touring 600 using the Ski Doo synthetic oil. I don't know how my valves look, but my engine still runs great! Too bad the stuff stinks so bad.
I want to ride every day, all day, as fast as I can.
BLADEGUY

NH renegade

Postby NH_Renegade » October 18th, 2001, 10:22 am

mikeNH, If that is not the oldest sales trick in the book, then I don't know what is.....

Oh wait, lemme answer this phone call.....yes, you say you love your Ford F150? You say you drive all the way from Boston to buy it here in NH? Well, gee thanks, but I really gotta go, I have a customer waiting for me. Glad you liked your Ford. CLICK!

*This Message was edited on 18-Oct-01 03:40 PM by NH_Renegade*
[i]NH_Renegade[/i] :C
NH_Renegade

NH renegade

Postby indyized » October 18th, 2001, 11:37 am

Don't know about the rest of you but I can't see why you would spend the extra $'s on oil. I have run standard Castro Injector oil for years. It's inexpensive and never had any motor problems. I used five cases of quarts last season at $ 2.90 a quart. Sure beats paying upwards of $ 5.00 to $7.00. As far as smoke & stink. The only smoke from my sleds are on initial start up. 300 yards from camp I slam the throttle and the smoke is gone.
indyized

NH renegade

Postby zr » October 18th, 2001, 1:55 pm

OK NH Renegade, no need to be a wise guy. I ran Spectro all year. Steve happens to be the head mechanic where we both buy our sleds. I have purchased a sled every 1 to 2 years from this dealer for the past 10 years. Yes, I believe him! I saw my engine apart as he went over it for free, (yes I did say for free!) and it was spotless, no carbon build up anywhere. Every other sled that ran another oil was no where as clean as the Spectro sleds. This dealer happens to be one of the largest around, so they must be doing something right. Is this enough for me to run and buy the oil, well yes it is, as I know my sled will always run w/o any issues, ie plug fouling, if you now what that means. By the way, yes clean valves can mean the engine is running correctly. By the way, if the Ford dealer in NH had better deal, I think the majority of people come and buy in NH, in fact they probably do!
zr

NH renegade

Postby mikeNH » October 19th, 2001, 2:23 pm

Not sure where this thread took a wrong turn...

NH renegade, you asked about oil and I gave you my opinion based on what I have seen personally. If you choose to look at other factors, so be it.

Just letting you know what I've seen and heard.

By the way, I used the regular Bombardier stuff last year and didn't have any problems other than the valves. If switching to Spectro will give me optimum performance that's what I'll do.

You asked the question originally. Sorry if you didn't like the response.
mikeNH

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum