Subscribe Today

To rebuild or not to rebuild? That is the question.......

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby Rman500 » October 19th, 2001, 2:22 am

Hey there, I'm new here and was hoping you guy's could help me out a little bit. I have been running dirt bikes and quad's for a good portion of my life and old bomber snowmobiles but bought my first modern sled last fall. A '96 Polaris Ultra SP 680 triple. I put about 1500 miles on it last year and am quite pleased with it. My question is how long do snowmobile engines usually last. Right now I own a Honda TRX250R and Suzuki LT500R quadracer and I am used to rebuilding them every year or two. My Ultra has 3,700 miles on it and I hope to put another thousand or two on it this winter. It is bone stock and runs real strong, I just don't want to get stranded out on the trail somewhere. What should I do to be safe, but at the same time not waste money? Should I rebuild it just for kicks? Should I maybe hone the jugs and re-ring it? Should I also maybe replace the reeds and crank bearings and seals and things like that. I am quite knowledgable on two-stroke engines, so rebuilding it is not a big issue, but I have other things that I could spend the money on if it is not really necessary. Should I just ride it? All thoughts and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
'88 Quadzilla 500, Turf Tamers, Paul Turner pipe/siliencer DG Kromlite nerfs.........nuff said.
'87 TRX250R, Ported and Polished, FMF Fatty pipe/siliencer, DG bumper, grab bar, Tag handlebars, Rikens, Turf Tamers, etc. 2 oldies but goodies!
Rman500

Postby ArcticEd » October 19th, 2001, 3:19 am

Rman, Summer toys wear topends primarily because of their enviroment, Thats being DIRT.....Sleds seldom injest much Dust and dirt, And as a result, They don't wear Pistons, Rings, and Cylinder Boes at an accelerated rate. You should be good to go with just some off-season Maintenance
[img][url=http://s2.photobucket.com/user/ArcticEd/media/Bunny.jpg.html]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/ArcticEd/Bunny.jpg[/img]

Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the embarrassing by-product of horsepower.

F/O FUR
ArcticEd

Postby PolarisIndy » October 19th, 2001, 6:11 am

I agree with Ed. I'd just check the compression in all 3 cyl. and if they are okay, go have fun!! Unless you are hearing funny noises from the crankcase or something. Also I don't believe that sled has reeds, isn't it just a punched out XLT motor? I think the first Polaris case reed motors where in the 6 and 700 twins.
PolarisIndy

Postby Rman500 » October 19th, 2001, 10:42 am

Well thanks guys! I was thinking it should probably be good to go but wanted some other opinions too. No it doesn't have the case reed induction but all two-strokes have some types of reeds or another. Thanks again guys, appreciate the advice!
'88 Quadzilla 500, Turf Tamers, Paul Turner pipe/siliencer DG Kromlite nerfs.........nuff said.
'87 TRX250R, Ported and Polished, FMF Fatty pipe/siliencer, DG bumper, grab bar, Tag handlebars, Rikens, Turf Tamers, etc. 2 oldies but goodies!
Rman500

Postby indyized » October 19th, 2001, 10:48 am

Don't mean to start something, but that sled does not have reeds and neither do all two strokes. Those motors use piston porting the post from polarisindy is correct it is a punched out xlt.
indyized

Postby Snotcicles » October 19th, 2001, 11:45 am

your right indyized. I remember way back to the early '70s when Yamaha introduced reeds on their 2-strokes, that was a big deal then. Rman500, keep an eye on plug color and check compression, but don't rebuild just to rebuild it. Hey I used to have a Quadzilla too!
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Snotcicles

Postby Rman500 » October 19th, 2001, 12:02 pm

Well then, on the reed issue, all I have to say is "MY BAD"! Every two stroke that I have ever torn apart has had reeds, but I'm sure you guy's are right! I just assumed that my snowmobile engine was just like my quad engine X 3 and thought that it probably had the reeds at the bottom of the cylinder like some of the dirt bikes that I have had in the past. Maybe I have more to learn about these engines than I thought. They can't be much different though. Thanks for the info though fellas. Talk to yall later.
Rman500

Postby michahicks » October 20th, 2001, 3:31 am

Hmmmm. I was thinking that my 96 Ultra 700 was the same engine as the one in my 98 700 XCR (both are 680's). I KNOW the XCR has reeds because I just went and double checked. The Ultra is at another location, but I'm 99% sure it does too. Are there 2 different 680's?
1997 38' HR Endeavor, 275 Cat, Freightliner
2003 CR-V Toad, Blue Ox, Ready Brake
michahicks

Postby Rman500 » October 20th, 2001, 4:46 am

Ok. I finally got around to checking the compression on my Ultra, which I have been meaning to do for quite awhile now. It has about 130 lbs. in each cylinder. Which for a 226cc cylinder sounds about right to me. Back to the reed issue once again, michahicks got me wondering, so I went and looked on Dennis Kirks website and they offer reed spacers and Boyesen reeds for the Ultra's...................? So..... must be they do have reeds! I have of course never had the motor apart to say for sure, but unless Dennis Kirks website has made a mistake, the Ultra must have reeds. Am I wrong? Also I was wondering if anyone knows of a website where you can look throught the microfische parts finder for Polaris sleds. I know of a handfull of sites that offer the microfische parts diagram for my 250R but couldn't find any for my sled. If anyone knows of one we could settle this issue for sure, plus I would just like to see it, so if you know of one let me know. Thanks!
Rman500

Postby indyized » October 20th, 2001, 9:25 am

Yup, I believed Polaris changed for 98. The previous motors are without reeds
indyized

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum