Subscribe Today

pre-mix

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

pre-mix

Postby MxZx440 » October 27th, 2001, 1:47 am

OK on my gas cap it say I should mix the oil to the gas 33 to 1 Well I bought some Klotz oil and on the back it says that 33:1 is like 17oz. to 5gal.Thats 34oz. to 10 gallons of gas.Does that seem like to much to any body else?Does any one else have a MXZx440L/C? How much should I mix with gas? Sorry for asking so many questions first snowmobile that I ever had to pre-mix.
Thanx,
Adam
Its all fun and games till someone gets hurt=Then its hillarious!!!
MxZx440

pre-mix

Postby tnt8000 » October 27th, 2001, 7:23 am

adam i hope you made sure that your mxzx doesn't run 104 octane race fuel.... cus if its does that you have to mix that stuff with your oil... if it doesn't that i would just run what u think!
2 sleds
30 000km combined
thats a hell of alot of real world riding!
tnt8000

pre-mix

Postby RyMachZ » October 27th, 2001, 8:46 am

Adam, better have lots of $$$$$$ for oil with them sleds.
RyMachZ

pre-mix

Postby speednut » October 27th, 2001, 1:03 pm

What year is this sled? I have a 98' and a 99', machines the same as yours. Both of my caps say to mix at 40:1. What kind of gas you run should be irrelivent as a two stroke engine has its own specific oil requirements requardless of the quality of fuel.

I run 1000' speed runs as well as 1/4 mile asphalt and these machines are jetted down quit a bit. If you think about it when you jet down a machine that has the oil premixed you are effectively leaning out the amount of oil your engine receives as well. so to speak.

My point is if you are just trail riding with the stock jets i beleive that you would have no problem what so ever with jumping up to 40:1. I also beleive that the factory adjusted the mix ratio to 33:1 becouse these machines are quite often jetted down when raced but the engine still requires an (x) amount of oil.
therefor the richer mixture. Now if the jetting is a little on the fat side then the mixture can then be dropped down to say 40:1 and maybe even 50:1

hope this helps you.

p.s. dont plan on passing any gas stations. these machines are strong and can run with much bigger iron but the price is that they get horrible mileage, 7-10mpg at best.

speednut

chrislan@spacestar.net
speednut

pre-mix

Postby speednut » October 27th, 2001, 1:03 pm

What year is this sled? I have a 98' and a 99', machines the same as yours. Both of my caps say to mix at 40:1. What kind of gas you run should be irrelivent as a two stroke engine has its own specific oil requirements requardless of the quality of fuel.

I run 1000' speed runs as well as 1/4 mile asphalt and these machines are jetted down quit a bit. If you think about it when you jet down a machine that has the oil premixed you are effectively leaning out the amount of oil your engine receives as well. so to speak.

My point is if you are just trail riding with the stock jets i beleive that you would have no problem what so ever with jumping up to 40:1. I also beleive that the factory adjusted the mix ratio to 33:1 becouse these machines are quite often jetted down when raced but the engine still requires an (x) amount of oil.
therefor the richer mixture. Now if the jetting is a little on the fat side then the mixture can then be dropped down to say 40:1 and maybe even 50:1

hope this helps you.

p.s. dont plan on passing any gas stations. these machines are strong and can run with much bigger iron but the price is that they get horrible mileage, 7-10mpg at best.

speednut

chrislan@spacestar.net
speednut

pre-mix

Postby ice_racer_440 » October 27th, 2001, 2:19 pm

hey mxzx 440 i have a 2001 that says 33:1 and i run it 40:1 there aint nothing wrong with that
ice_racer_440

pre-mix

Postby MxZx440 » October 28th, 2001, 3:10 am

Cool guys thanks for the advice.The gas cap says recomended fuel be 91 octane.I will be trail riding the sled also,so I should mix 40:1 you say.I bought 4 gallons of oil when I bought the machine and I have plenty of 5 gal.gas cans so I'm pretty prepared for the pre-mix trail scene.7-10 m.p.g thats not as good as I hoped it would be.I will probly sno-cross it locally(no big venues)and hopefully grass drag it next year.the snowmobile wont see a trail but probly twice this year, mostly just rode around the country where I live.Well thanks guys for the advice guys anything else you think I should know about this sled feel free to let me know.
Thanks,
Adam
MxZx440

pre-mix

Postby MxZx440 » October 28th, 2001, 3:12 am

No the gas cap says to run 91 I'll probably run 93 octane.
MxZx440
MxZx440

pre-mix

Postby MxZx440 » October 28th, 2001, 3:16 am

It is a 2000 My gas says 33:1 how much of a difference would it make if I mixed it at 40:1 would it just make it a little more rich?
Thanx,
Adam
MxZx440

pre-mix

Postby snodrifter » November 9th, 2001, 12:45 pm

Hope you have better luck with KLOTZ oil than I did. The sled is a real bear to get started when its 10 to 20 below zero. You'd think its a 4 cycle for as stiff as it gets. I'd also question how well it really does lubricate when it is that cold or colder
snodrifter

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum