Subscribe Today

gutting air box

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

gutting air box

Postby indy500 » November 6th, 2001, 7:15 am

i got teh air box off my 98 indy 500 and theres a bog piece of foam and a palstic peice would removing one ot these or both give me any performnace, i need to be able to pass my buddies 550 super sport
98 indy 500,
indy500

gutting air box

Postby kenlacy » November 6th, 2001, 7:19 am

Best thing to do - when he is not looking, just pop open his airbox and partially close off his carb holes with some duct tape. Just cover a little of each one (not much at all). When you beat him, tell him you modded your sled so he doesn't think there is something wrong with his.
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

gutting air box

Postby indy500 » November 6th, 2001, 7:21 am

no its not like that, im pretty sure i can beat him any way, air cooled vs my liquid, i still want more power
98 indy 500,
indy500

gutting air box

Postby swago » November 6th, 2001, 8:52 am

Your 500 is around 80hp. If you gut your air box you will end up leaning out the fuel/air ratio and will probably end up poping a piston.Not the desired effect. Not to mention you will be sucking in snow wich will freeze up a carb and once again lean out the cylinder and boom!! your buddy will be towing you home with a rope and thats no fun.
the best you can do is spend 100$ and put a clutch kit (Helix, spring, slippery buttons) from SLP or pipe it.
swago

gutting air box

Postby snowthrower » November 6th, 2001, 3:40 pm

Gutting your air box will actually make it slower not to mention louder to boot. I myself thought that the better the flow the more hp even after jetting correctly. I did alot of research from articles and people on there thoughts about this. The reason it dont work is because it is designed to suck in cold air from the outside not to mention the airbox is developed for maximun pulse resenation. What that is that as the piston goes up and down the airbox resenates and the flow is much better. I have a 01 xcsp 500 and was thinking of doing the same I was even going to remove just the airhorns in the box but those are designed like an air box port in a speaker box. The manufactures did alot of testing on airboxes technology the box just insnt something that keeps the snow out. They resenate and cause the air to flow much better. I would just leave them in cause if you dont on a long ride youll be sucking in hot air which robs hp. I hope this helps
snowthrower

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum