Subscribe Today

Modular Helmets

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Modular Helmets

Postby Tantrum » January 7th, 2002, 5:10 am

Kim,
Very sorry to hear about your friend.
Helmets are only a piece of the equation. They are there to help out in a bad situation and do save lives. In extreme situations, and todays sleds are extremely fast, there is nothing that is going to save you at speed. I ride street bikes and if you drop a street bike going over fourty and live your just flat out lucky. We ride between 110 and 155mph for extended periods and I know my helmet is not going to do me any good if fate catches up to me, but I always put it on.
Tantrum

Modular Helmets

Postby calkai » January 7th, 2002, 5:43 am

I have a HJC and think its great and beats anything else. 239.00 retail, got might for $189 on sale.
carl
calkai

Modular Helmets

Postby thekrust » January 7th, 2002, 7:56 pm

If the chin strap is not done up proper you may as well not be wearing a helmet at all. I bug all of my friends all the time and some still insist on not doin up the strap. The ones that have crashed and lost thier helmets in the incident figured it out pretty quick. I have never seen any helmet come off if the strap is done up.
Ride on!
thekrust

Modular Helmets

Postby thekrust » January 7th, 2002, 8:07 pm

I ride exclusively in the coastal mountains of BC alot of deep deep snow coming over the windshield all day long, I've tried it all,, MX style with goggles, HJC with heated visor(ok but constant battle with broken wires) The Ski-doo modular is the answer, comfort and visibility. You nay-sayers may not agree but when riding in the mountains I would rather have the visibilty to avoid the collision than the helmet to survive one. Not that a DOT rating on a sled helmet is a bad thing anyway.
Ride on!
thekrust

Modular Helmets

Postby Bump-Star » January 8th, 2002, 2:31 am

I have not experienced anything that beats the doo modular in the cold. No fogging, the sun shield is great. I also wear a MX style helmet. Lighter, better field of vision, more ventalation. If u choose a fully enclosed..choose the doo.
Bump-Star

Modular Helmets

Postby BigBlueEdge » January 9th, 2002, 12:29 am

If you like the Doo modular but don't think it's worth the $350-400 price, consider getting the Lazer Blizzard. Lazer makes the Doo helmet and their Blizzard model is almost identical. No sun shade, and they don't look quite as 'jet-fighter' as the Doo, but they're actually a generation ahead of the Doo. They use a supposedly better breathmask and have a better quick-release. I've got one and think it's great, but I just got it this season, so time will tell. Anyway, they can be had for about $210 if ordered on-line, so they are a very good value.
BigBlueEdge

Modular Helmets

Postby aes » January 12th, 2002, 6:36 am

I saw your posting........
Have you used this helmet yet?
I wanted a modular helmet and can't decide what to get. Should I just stop being cheap and spend the $400 on the Ski Doo one or is this Zeus one good enough?
Let me know,
Thanks!
aes

Modular Helmets

Postby aes » January 12th, 2002, 6:52 am

Can I ask where you got your helmet?
Do you like it?
What do you think about the lesser expensive helmets like Zeus?
aes

Modular Helmets

Postby aes » January 12th, 2002, 6:54 am

Have you tried your helmet yet?
Do you like it?
Can I ask where you got it?
Thanks.....
aes

Modular Helmets

Postby Roperider » January 13th, 2002, 2:27 pm

I have a polaris modular and it has it's pro's and cons. It doesn't fog up, but the breathe deflector is a pain in the *ss to undo and snap back up. I don't really care for the sun sheild either cause if your riding in powder and some gets up there and it will it's impossible to wipe it off. also seems to kind of distort things. Thats just my two cents.
Kendrick volz
Roperider

PreviousNext

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum