Subscribe Today

Modular Helmets

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Modular Helmets

Postby MX-ZAHOLIC » November 26th, 2001, 7:32 pm

I have a Ski-Doo modular and I think that it's awesome. No fog whatsoever and plenty comfortable. The Ski-Doo helmets are made by Lazer, who sells them without the Ski-Doo nameas well. Plus they're far cheaper than paying for the Ski-Doo name. Either way you look at it, the modulars are the way to go!!
[b][purple]SNOW'S ALL GONE, TIME TO GO FISHIN'![/b][/purple]

[b][blue]WEATHER IN FORT FRANCES[/b][/blue]
[img]http://www.theweathernetwork.com/inter/weathercentre/weatherbutton/images/can/KINL.gif[/img]
MX-ZAHOLIC

Modular Helmets

Postby CheeseSledder » November 27th, 2001, 12:37 am

I wear glasses so I am somewhat biased. I tried a HJC CL-11, could'nt keep it from fogging with No-Fog mask, etc. Went to a Sno Cross style helmet, pain in the @ss with glasses. Bought a SkiDoo modular last year - end of fogging, the internal sun visor is fantastic. Only problem so far is that one of the facemask snaps broke. You don't have to buy the whole face mask, you can buy the the plastic part with the snap and change it for $2. I bought 4 for spares, and love the helmet.
[blue]Yup, I seen dem Ely boys smokin crack over dere in da Bdubber, an one of em was whackin it. [/blue]:B
CheeseSledder

Modular Helmets

Postby Burky » November 27th, 2001, 12:07 pm

I can't let the "Modular's Suck" uninformed comment go past. Any full face type of helmet has to withstand the same chinbar impact in testing, whether it's a modular design or solid chinbar. They are not going to fall apart into "hundreds" of pieces. Just not going to happen. Can someone hit a tree or something hard enough to damage the helmet? Of course they can. Helmets help, but riding or being stupid and wearing a helmet won't make much difference. These helmets are tested to DOT standard, which is different from Snell testing. DOT tests for one large impact, while Snell tests for one large and several smaller impacts. But the difference in the helmets is primarily in the lining material, and how it absorbs the initial impact or multiple smaller impacts. The shells are built the same. A snowmobile impact is likely to be a one hit impact rather than a multiple bounce down the street and off the guardrails. The Snell rating is probably a little bit better, but it's primarily designed for auto racing.
If you are in the ditch, upside down, and the sled's on top of you, you are doing something wrong.....
Burky

Modular Helmets

Postby ridethis » November 27th, 2001, 2:07 pm

I have a skidoo modular helmet and I think it was worth every cent. It never fogged up the only problem I had was if it was extremely cold the air exhaust holes would start to freeze shut but only when riding very hard and in very cold weather.
ridethis

Modular Helmets

Postby Yetii » November 27th, 2001, 2:46 pm

I got a black HJC Symax helmet with an electric visor this year (its a cheaper alternative to the Modular helmet). It feels pretty good and should keep me warm and safe. It is surprising how good the visibilty this helmet has. I also use an MX style helmet, but I look forward to the warmth of the Symax. I will post how well this helmet performs once the snow hits.
Yetii

Modular Helmets

Postby icepicker62 » November 28th, 2001, 7:12 am

I have a ski-doo modular, and love it! I used to always fog up, even with an electric shield, now I can see again!

*This Message was edited on 28-Nov-01 12:14 PM by icepicker62*
icepicker62

Modular Helmets

Postby straycat » November 28th, 2001, 8:52 am

Personally I wouldn't strap a modular to my head! With my luck the latch would fail and I'd be eating bark!
But my 2 cents, NOLAN makes the best modular. I have seen both helmets side buy side and the Nolan is much beter quality. All the latches are reinforced with STAINLESS steel, and the locking mech. Is much stronger. They also have a fog schield that just clips to the scheild that is replacealbe. (so you don't need to replace both)
The other advantage to it is that when in the up possition the face part stays closer to the top part meaning lower center of gravity.
check out the NOLAN! best modular on the market!
Till the speed overcomes the fear of death!

Long live the cat!
straycat

Modular Helmets

Postby XCR600 » November 29th, 2001, 4:02 am

I love my ski-doo modular helmet, it NEVER fogs period. Very comfortable and i love not having to take it off to chat on the trail. The two issues i have are:

A) The mask snaps break. My friends works at a dealer and they called ski-doo to check if there was a warranty. Ski-doo ended up shipping the dealer a FREE box of snaps, problem solved.

B) The air passages will ice up as said above. I never had them close but i did have a good amount of build-up a few times. Nothing to worry about.
Where's the snow?
XCR600

Modular Helmets

Postby kim182girl » January 7th, 2002, 4:47 am

i don't think that it is worth the money because won of my good friends just got killed wearing one of those helmets. the helmet didn't even stay on it came off and his helmet was latched, so i'm just saying that make sure you get a good helemt if you do get one because i would give anything to have my friend matty back.
kim182girl

Modular Helmets

Postby kim182girl » January 7th, 2002, 5:02 am

the thing is if the helmet is so awesome then why would it come off of my friend when he hit the winshield of his snowmobile, and then he ended up hitting the tree without his helmet causing his death. i just don't understand. i know my friends case his one of a few and everyone always thinks oh this will never happen to me but that's what matty thought before too, and now he is gone.
kim182girl

PreviousNext

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum