Subscribe Today

which reeds are better?

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

which reeds are better?

Postby chevykickass » November 24th, 2001, 11:15 am

I have been reading a lot how reeds can help an engine, but I was wondering which reeds are better. Which reed give you the best bang for your buck. I have been looking at the V force 2, Boyesen (the rad valve and the power reeds), and carbon tech. Also wanted to know if anyone knows anything about PSI's new reed system. I will be installing them in a 2000 powder special 600 efi.
chevykickass

which reeds are better?

Postby X-Team » November 24th, 2001, 12:04 pm

I don't know too much about efi, but I have heard your not supposed to modify the machine if you have efi...So that would mean no reeds? wouldn't it?
Ski-doo... I Like Snow...
X-Team

which reeds are better?

Postby FueliesRock » November 25th, 2001, 3:42 am

If you are going to get reeds, get the V-force 2, the whole cage it different to allow more air flow. I have a 2000 500 efi, and I put them on, and I like them, I also know a couple of guys that use them too. I noticed a little more low end power right away, because I needed to raise my engagement rpms, and it helped some, but I still had to raise the engagement more, as I added a paddle track, and the new traction needed more get go power. You will definatly notice them more if you get some kind of a pipe. I put a silencer on for this year, one from snostuff, no snow, so I can't tell if that helped much or not, they say they don't help power that much, but it sounds awesome in my shop. The only bad thing about getting pipes is you have to spend more money on a chip for the efi, but the reeds and silencer you don't need a chip. Hope this helps
FueliesRock

which reeds are better?

Postby do_the_doo » November 25th, 2001, 6:40 am

dont buy v-force unless u want to waste a s**t load of money. they are the biggest waste of money. if u buy any type of reed buy the boyesen. they are cheap and all u have to do is screw them into your stock reed cages. the thing thats wrong with the v-force is that the screws that hold the petals in come loose and let the petals fall into the engine. theres some damage to your engine and some wasted money on garbage reeds. this has actually happened to me and i tried to get a refund but moto tassanari (makers of the v-force) said that it didnt have anything to do with their product and said that i had to deal with it. so i would go with the boyesen or any other ones that screw into the stock reed cages. late
do_the_doo

which reeds are better?

Postby catmandoo2002000 » November 25th, 2001, 4:24 pm

I agree the v-force suck i had the same problem i sucked a pedal in the cylinder lucky no damage just a bunch of head aches of why my machine did not run right.i would try the boyssen reeds you want something that is dependable.couple friends had the same problem that is how i found out.the cages are sitting in my tool box.i will give them to you you just have to spend $50.00 more dollars to get the replacement pedals.they fit 99 zr 600 twin.
If it's not a cat it must be a dog
catmandoo2002000

which reeds are better?

Postby carlm » November 25th, 2001, 7:31 pm

theres a new reed out this year by "wolf pack performance"it's a carbon fiber reed that goes into your existing reed cages.they clam 3-10 sled lengths in a drag race with no low end bog or top end sacrifice.they also claim a 5-10%gain in horsepower.they also claim huge fuel savings of 17 pounds per hour or 2.5 gallons.if thats true the reeds would pay for themselves in fuel savings...
carlm

which reeds are better?

Postby 2strokepolaris » December 3rd, 2001, 10:41 am

v-force 2 sucks,i ran them in my 00 xcr 800 for 3 seasons and now i've switched to BOYESEN rad valve and their system is better,petals last longer,more durable cage (metal),better design,instant throttle response and a power boost all through the powerband.
when you think reeds think boyesen!
worth every pennies.
2 stroke forever!
2strokepolaris

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum