Subscribe Today

Cold Handwarmers

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Cold Handwarmers

Postby Yetii » November 27th, 2001, 4:46 am

I have a 1998 ZR 600 EFI LE XC, in which the handwarmers work, but not very well. You can feel the heat coming off them , but when it is cold (-20C or -4F) the warmers can't keep up and I get cold hands.
Any ideas what may be the problem?
Yetii

Cold Handwarmers

Postby zr60001 » November 27th, 2001, 5:05 am

do you have aluminum handle bar hooks? If so they will suck the heat up.
zr60001

Cold Handwarmers

Postby Snosport » November 27th, 2001, 9:35 am

On the older Arctic Cats the heating element is inside of the handlebars and takes a long time to heat up and, once warm, are too hot for anything but a very cold day. I have replaced the factory handwarmers on 3 Arctic Cats with Hotgrips brand external handwarmers. These come with a resistor for the high/low setting and heat up almost instantly. It is relatively easy to install them using the existing wiring. You can get info at wwww.hotgrips.com
Snosport

Cold Handwarmers

Postby Mainecat » November 27th, 2001, 10:08 am

If you have a low windshield that could worsen the problem. Maybe a higher one would help.
Mainecat

Cold Handwarmers

Postby Yetii » November 27th, 2001, 2:03 pm

I don't have bar hooks or a low windshield. The heat is there but it is not hot enough. Could there be a problem with the voltage regulator? I am getting a little ticked off with this and I wish I had the problem of it being too hot, because Manitoba winters can get VERY cold.
Yetii

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum