Subscribe Today

Speedwerx Clutches

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Speedwerx Clutches

Postby Flyin'500 » December 9th, 2001, 1:23 pm

I ride a stock '99 ZR 500. This year I was thinking about clutching it with a kit from Speedwerx. I was hoping I would be able to receive any feedback from those of you who have tried Speedwerx before. Also, when ordering a clutch kit from Speedwerx, do they ask you which weights you want or do they just provide a standard set for you? Are these clutch kits worth the $300 pricetag? Thank you for any advice.
Flyin'500

Speedwerx Clutches

Postby drewalt » December 9th, 2001, 11:25 pm

We have had great luck with speedwerx set-ups and recommend them. Email us at sales@sled-parts.com for a discounted price on a speedwerx clutch kit. Remember, the price is higher because they use titanium springs which last alot longer than normal ones.
drewalt

Speedwerx Clutches

Postby XC600Syclone » December 10th, 2001, 1:24 am

I disagree with drewalt. We tried a Speedwerx Clutch Kit on an MXZ800 on a track dyno. $289 for their "awesome" titanium clutch kit. The track dyno curves actually LOST horsepower as compared to stock, both in low-end and midrange/top-end. Granted this was on a SkiDoo instead of a AC, but if that data is any indication of how one of their AC kits is going to perform, you'll get better usage out of your money by purchasing 300 lottery tickets... Even if it did show an improvement, for that pricetag I could swap my traditional springs out every year for a fresh one and still have spent less....

IMHO, I'd stay away from Speedwerx. Go with a Heelclicker setup or a more conventional clutch kit, and save yourself some embarrassment.
'00 Polaris XC600SP
HTG 670 Stealth Bigbore, LRM Twin Pipes, V-Force Delta II's, Ported Carb Boots, Custom Clutching, Modified Airbox, Uni-Vents, Pyro2000 EGTs, Predator Track, 168 Powerpoints, blah blah blah....
XC600Syclone

Speedwerx Clutches

Postby CheeseSledder » December 10th, 2001, 4:49 am

Cyclone,

A clutch kit won't add or take away from the HP numbers, it just provides different shift points to keep the motor in a specific RPM range. You won't change HP output unless you work on the motor, carbs, or exhaust.
[blue]Yup, I seen dem Ely boys smokin crack over dere in da Bdubber, an one of em was whackin it. [/blue]:B
CheeseSledder

Speedwerx Clutches

Postby 89Indy500_sp » December 10th, 2001, 12:18 pm

hey 500 i live by u, in rochester hills.
My 2003 REV 800 Sport... my baby
[img]http://www.dootalk.net/gallery/albums/album762/snonews.thumb.jpg[/img]
700 miles this season!
89Indy500_sp

Speedwerx Clutches

Postby 89Indy500_sp » December 10th, 2001, 12:18 pm

hey 500 i live by u, in rochester hills.
My 2003 REV 800 Sport... my baby
[img]http://www.dootalk.net/gallery/albums/album762/snonews.thumb.jpg[/img]
700 miles this season!
89Indy500_sp

Speedwerx Clutches

Postby XC600Syclone » December 10th, 2001, 10:59 pm

Cheese.... Notice I said TRACK DYNO. Clutching plays a HUGE role on how much engine HP is translated to the track. Although clutching changes do not increase the HP of the motor, clutching changes DO change the efficiency of the primary/secondary. This clutching efficiency change is what affects HP that is translated to the track. A good clutch kit will improve the clutching efficiency, and thereby increase track HP over a wide rpm range, including the function of also holding the full-shift out RPM at peak engine HP rpm. The Speedwerx titanium clutch kit did not increase track-HP, but instead it lost hp, and this includes at full-shift out where the MXZ800 makes peak HP (78-7900rpm). Not the way I want to go when I make changes to my sled....

*This Message was edited on 11-Dec-01 04:03 AM by XC600Syclone*
'00 Polaris XC600SP
HTG 670 Stealth Bigbore, LRM Twin Pipes, V-Force Delta II's, Ported Carb Boots, Custom Clutching, Modified Airbox, Uni-Vents, Pyro2000 EGTs, Predator Track, 168 Powerpoints, blah blah blah....
XC600Syclone

Speedwerx Clutches

Postby Flyin'500 » December 11th, 2001, 1:18 pm

Do any of you guys out there have a ZR 500 with a speedwerx clutch kit? If so do any of your kits have both springs(drive and driven) made out of Titanium? How well do they work? What RPM do they kick in at? My stock sled engages at 4800 RPM. Also where can I find the best deals on these clutch kits?
Flyin'500

Speedwerx Clutches

Postby taconitehead » December 12th, 2001, 5:45 am

If you want to get the most from your sled you probably will not be very happy with any off the shelf clutch kit. Much like the factory, they are generic and may not perform best for your weight,riding conditions,health of your engine, etc. Even a sled that is clutched to the nuts one day may need to be changed the next to be performing at peak. That is why there is always a pile of springs, weights and helixs by the sled going fast. Otherwise, once it was clutched, the only thing they would need is gas. If you have the ability to tune it yourself, great, otherwise you would be money ahead to contact a reputable shop for the best system for YOU, not just generic to a 500 cat. Also, titanium springs are great for consistency once you find the exact one you need, but they sure are expensive to experiment with. Track dyno sheets are nice but they don't win races. Fast sleds that work on the snow win races. If you need some help contact CSE racing, they are great people and will help you tune your sled to you, and they carry most major brands of gofast goodies. You can find them on the web under CSE Racing. While you are there look at some of the race results. A 96 mph average in 1000 feet out of a stock 500 is impressive, and that sled has gone as fast as 102.27 in 1000 ft. Good luck and hope to see you on the trail someday. 98ZL 500 heelclicker--- mine, 02 Zr 800 efi cce stock---wifes
taconitehead

Speedwerx Clutches

Postby drewalt » December 13th, 2001, 3:27 am

(IMO) The powerband on 500 and 800 are totally different, we have tried the heelclickers on 440's and they don't work well (not enough hp). The bigger sleds have the hp to make the heelclickers work. Also, if you want to avoid machining your clutch, don't use the heelclickers. Randy (Supertorquer) has some awesome technology, but it just hasn't been proven on the smaller sleds.
drewalt

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum