Subscribe Today

snowmobile flotation

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

snowmobile flotation

Postby Sledge » December 15th, 2001, 1:00 pm

Well $500 is less than i thought i d hear also! dam ive spent that much on my stude and carbides.;) here i got a 22 mile lake that leads to all trail directions and with limited snow somtimes its all you have to ride on :(
not to mention icefishermen that choose not to drive their truck out on the ice! this would be a great safty idea that many of my watercrossing friends have tossed a idea out on :) but i dont think id like to butcher my seat, cant it deplow from the rear storage opening?

Sledge

snowmobile flotation

Postby jwassoc » December 17th, 2001, 2:13 am

SLEDGE,

You don't butcher your seat, we install the system for you. You take your sled to a certified dealer who installs the device. You don't lose your glove box and like your automobile airbags you can't even see the system. You won't even know it is there till you need it.

Sorry some of you guys are having trouble with web site www.jtwfloat.com
john weinel
jwassoc

snowmobile flotation

Postby kingfish » December 17th, 2001, 7:41 am

Regarding Dane County WI floatation devices. Probaly will not affect snowmobiles. Only over 850 lbs. (per sheriff website). The photo's are priceless. LOL!!!
kingfish

snowmobile flotation

Postby jwassoc » December 20th, 2001, 12:33 am

Kingfish,

Dane County Sheriff's Deputies do issue tickets to snowmobiles and ATVs that do not have flotation devices. I believe its on Lake Mendota and several others. They still haven't sanctioned our device for use in Dane.
john weinel
jwassoc

snowmobile flotation

Postby jwassoc » December 20th, 2001, 11:44 pm

Minnesota's first snowmobile through the ice death occured Saturday morning, December 15. Tyler Nelson 18, and his friend's were snowmobiling on Lake Fremont with ice less than 2 inches thick. Tyler broke through between a point of land and a small island 250 feet out. Tyler may have broken his neck prior to entering the water.Temperatures are warm enough that by the following Wednesday the lake was ice free.
john weinel
jwassoc

snowmobile flotation

Postby XC-Rider » December 21st, 2001, 9:18 am

Well I'm glad we don't need to use it in mn, at least it doesn't apply to many sleds.. maybe t-cats ;)
XC-Rider

snowmobile flotation

Postby jwassoc » January 2nd, 2002, 12:23 am

price now $700 installed
john weinel
jwassoc

snowmobile flotation

Postby Tantrum » January 2nd, 2002, 7:53 am

I would think the tree huggers in Dane County would be going nuts, looks like their riding with giant nurf bars, just bounce off the trees til ya get home.

Hey why did the price just go up $200.00 ?

It is a pretty cool idea that could be usefull and Im sure save lives in certain situation. We need to have people/companies looking to make our toys safer. I know you can make them faster, I would pay $500.00 to make my machine significantly faster. If the sport is going to move forward with less additional regulation, it benefits us all to have people jwassoc thinking in a safty minded way.
Id still spend the 5 on performance but Im a freak and would rationalize it by saying "the faster I go the faster I get across the lake....and the faster I go."

*This Message was edited on 02-Jan-02 12:56 PM by Tantrum*
Tantrum

snowmobile flotation

Postby jwassoc » January 2nd, 2002, 9:40 am

The price of $700 includes installation. We figured we could sell the device for $450 but we are going to need to certify the dealers to install it and they are going to need some dough to install it. So now we are trying to sell it for $700 installed.
john weinel
jwassoc

PreviousNext

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum