Subscribe Today

How to charge a battery in my indy?

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby lfabich » December 24th, 2001, 8:32 pm

Can anyone tell me what I need to buy and install a charging system for a battery on my 96 Polaris indy 500. I have put in a battery to run my GPS and would like to charge.
lfabich

Postby btr22 » December 26th, 2001, 4:29 am

I would get a Battery Tender Jr. It cost about $30 and can be found at batterystuff.com. It will charge your battery untill full then go into a "float mode" where it monitors and will trickle charge if the voltage drops slightly. Just plug in and forget it. Will not over charge. It comes with aligator clips and and quick disconect you can leave attached to the battery terminals. Very slick system for the money. Also good insurance for EFI systems which is why I got mine. They come in 12v and 6v models. There is also a great battery tutorial on the site mentioned above.
2003 REV 600 Sport
btr22

Postby CheeseSledder » December 26th, 2001, 4:43 am

I would lose the battery and just wire the GPS in to the 12v hot terminal on the ignition switch. The GPS would only function when the sled is running, but batteries are a hassle that I wouldn't live with unless the sled had electric start. Even better if the GPS has on-board batteries and the 12v lead, just unplug the lead to use the GPS with the sled off.
[blue]Yup, I seen dem Ely boys smokin crack over dere in da Bdubber, an one of em was whackin it. [/blue]:B
CheeseSledder

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum