Subscribe Today

Problems With Taking off

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Problems With Taking off

Postby FueliesRock » December 27th, 2001, 7:22 am

I have a ZL 500 efi 2000, with about 2300 miles on. I have a rumble pack silencer, V-force 2 reeds, and a 1.4 inch paddle track. I was out riding today, and after I rode a while, when ever I would hammer it from stoped it would act like the brake was on till I got up to about 20 mph and then it would take off, but if I hammer it from 20-25 it would take off right away. I still has good mid-range and top end power, it just doesn't at the lot end. I tryed unhooking the throttle safety wires, and that didn't help, I tryed plugging in the fuel wires on the computer, that didn't help, the plugs looked fine, I didn't have a chance to changed them yet and try new ones. I just checked the compression and it was good, same in both cylinders, I didn't today because it was still hot. Any help would be great, thanks
FueliesRock

Problems With Taking off

Postby Flatlander » December 27th, 2001, 8:47 am

a worn belt will act like that /

*This Message was edited on 27-Dec-01 01:51 PM by FLATLANDER*
Ride The Best, Lead The Rest
Flatlander

Problems With Taking off

Postby JLH » December 27th, 2001, 10:46 am

HI i cant help you with your problem, i dont have much experience with efi but i was wondering were in ND you live if you do have enough snow to ride . i am looking for some riding this weekend thanks
JLH

Problems With Taking off

Postby michahicks » December 27th, 2001, 11:25 am

Bet ya got a lotta belt deflection to go with that poor low end acceleration too! Easy cure, no sweat. There is probably an adjustment(3 screws? sorry, it's been a while on a cat) on your secondary that controls that. Set it up so your belt has enough deflection to say it has some. Then look out, your holeshot will be back!
I am assuming that your belt is within specs. as far as wear (minimum width).
AL
1997 38' HR Endeavor, 275 Cat, Freightliner
2003 CR-V Toad, Blue Ox, Ready Brake
michahicks

Problems With Taking off

Postby CATPRIDE » December 27th, 2001, 12:33 pm

HEY FUELIES ROCK,
I experienced the same thing on a 99 zl 500 carb
that i also had put v force 2 reed valves on, if youv'e had your sled backfire since you've installed your reeds,it could be a cracked/broken reed petal,this will cause a poor low end until you get your rpms up where your petals would be opening up,then you regain power thru mid,and top range.
only my 2 cents worth hope it helps.
CATPRIDE

Problems With Taking off

Postby FueliesRock » December 28th, 2001, 2:53 am

Hey, thanks guys, I am beginning to think that it is the belt, I did have the driven clutch off earlier that day, I moved my spring one hole looser, I will check it over again, thanks for all the help. I live in the southern part of North Dakota by the way, south of JAmestown.
FueliesRock

Problems With Taking off

Postby RIGGS » December 28th, 2001, 2:35 pm

CATPRIDE. My brother in law bought a '99 ZL500 used from a "rock star" that rode 'em hard AND he has the same backfiring problems you discribe. He also lost almost 8mph top end since last year.
I said "it's just running rich... Take it in and have 'em dial it in..."
But I never thought about the reeds?

*This Message was edited on 28-Dec-01 07:50 PM by RIGGS*
[url=http://community.webshots.com/user/trumannsdad]My web page[/url]
RIGGS

Problems With Taking off

Postby Smoothride » December 29th, 2001, 3:53 am

I had a 96 ZR 600 EFI with V-force reeds in the shop with an intermittant problem with the motor cutting out and losing power. It turns out that the V-Force blocks move the injector rack rearward so that the wire harness rubs on the steering column. The one I worked on would cut out when the handlebars turned. Check it out. Also, a broken motor mount would do the same thing and would make the belt too long.
Smoothride

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum