Subscribe Today

My V-MAX eats oil...

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

My V-MAX eats oil...

Postby Jortsu » December 31st, 2001, 2:03 am

My '97 V-MAX 500 XTC eats very much oil. I have checked oil pump settings and they seems to be correct but my V-max still eat more than twice as much oil than my friends yamaha phazer 500. Is there any wearing parts inside the pump or do I just have to change whole pump.
Jortsu

My V-MAX eats oil...

Postby mangle919 » December 31st, 2001, 7:50 am

all the vmax's eat tons of oil, i've got a 96 vmax 600 and i have to check the oil everytime i fill up my gas. Everytime i see someone on the trail with a vmax i ask them and they always say that they use a ton of oil to. If your really concerned about it you can check www.bender.com they have a oil pump that can solve the problem, but it doesn't have to be fixed.
mangle919

My V-MAX eats oil...

Postby snofisher » December 31st, 2001, 8:32 am

A buddy of mine had a 97 600 SX that had a recall on the oil pump, he took it in and when he got it back his oil usage dropped dramaticly. I think he got a new oil pump. You might check in to it.
THINK SNOW!!!!
snofisher

My V-MAX eats oil...

Postby xmurray » January 2nd, 2002, 6:50 am

I have the same problem with a 96 Vmax 600. Uses almost a whole tank of oil per tank of gas. Does anyone know how to fix this? I am fairly new to snowmobiling having bought this sled used 2 years ago. Is there any way to adjust the oil usage at the pump? Or, can the oil pump be eliminated and just pre-mix the gas? Are there drawbacks to this aside from the hassel of having to pre-mix? As mentioned it has not caused any real problems but I do have to carry extra oil, and when I stop on the trail I am immediately engulfed in clouds of smoke so I would like to fix it if possible.

Thanks.
Steve.
xmurray

My V-MAX eats oil...

Postby Tantrum » January 2nd, 2002, 7:16 am

xmurray is the only one who said he is getting big smoke from his machine. Im not famillar w/ the the V-Max itself however, if your not creating lots of blue smoke, fouling plugs or leaking you most likly OK. If you do have any of these take it to a dealer or someone who is going to take responsibility if they lean your motor and cook it. There is nothing wrong with disconnecting the pump and pre-mixing other than it being a pain in the ... Any competition two stroke should always be hand mixed so you know what your running.
Tantrum

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum