Subscribe Today

Sled Voltage?

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Sled Voltage?

Postby hilldweller » January 2nd, 2002, 12:17 pm

Does anyone know if a non-electric start sled (2002 model) produces a constant 12 volts when running? I wanted to install an electric temperature gauge (don't trust/like idiot lights), but am having second thoughts now, since speaking to a Cat guy I put a lot of faith in. He told me that the voltage isn't steady enough for those gauges, that I should use a mechanical one. Isn't that 2-pole plug at the back of the tach a 12 volt plug?
2002 ZR800 CCE (carbed)
hilldweller

Sled Voltage?

Postby FueliesRock » January 2nd, 2002, 12:30 pm

I'm not sure but I know that on a SkiDoo you have to have your volt meter on AC to test for voltage, I am guessing that it is the same for all beings they get their power from the sator. You get water temp gauges for snowmobiles, I know you get them from Cat, that is probably more money than you want to spend, if you have a cat, but I'm sure you can get them from and make, but if don't want to spend the money on the factory ones, or they don't have them I have seen after market ones in Dennis Kirk and places like that.
FueliesRock

Sled Voltage?

Postby michahicks » January 3rd, 2002, 6:15 am

Any sled I can remember working on has always had a voltage regulater that will hold the normal 12 volt ranges depending on RPM (12 to 14.5 volts). If they didn't you would have a problem blowing bulbs at high engine RPM. It will be AC power unless there is a rectifier in the circuit, but they usually aren't there unless there is a battery in the system. Bottom line is, I think your Cat buddy is correct in stating you should think about the mechanical unit.
AL
1997 38' HR Endeavor, 275 Cat, Freightliner
2003 CR-V Toad, Blue Ox, Ready Brake
michahicks

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum