Subscribe Today

What they do when stopped

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby snowster » January 6th, 2002, 3:38 pm

I was wondering what kind a grief the dnr gives you when you are stopped and what you need. I bought a new sled and never had it titled so I didn't have to pay tax, so no registration, and no insurance also. Is having a trail pass good enough or do they make sure you have everything and write tickets or what.
thanks
snowster

Postby kenlacy » January 6th, 2002, 3:57 pm

I don't know what state you are in. But if your in MN and are driving without insurance - that is like driving with no insurance on your car and you will lose your drivers license. Other than that, for no registration I think it is a $60-80 fine.
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Postby CatmanZR800 » January 7th, 2002, 12:06 am

snowster,

I agree with kenlacy, you need to have your sled registered. It's dirt cheap to change over ownership, and tax free if you bought from a private owner.They could go after you for assuming the sled is stolen, if you do get pulled over.

Need to have at least liability insurance too (I'm pretty sure). Collision insurance is an option, if you can afford a new sled on your own.
WARNING! Cats are meat eaters!
CatmanZR800

Postby straycat » January 7th, 2002, 12:30 am

I tell you what. You need to get that thing registerd and insured!!!!!!! Not only are you going to get hastled from the DNR, But if I knew you I would hastle you too.
Its guys like you who ride around With no insurence or registration That make it hard for the guys that do! Everyone wonders why insurence rates are so hi on sleds. For one, Its other people riding around with no insurence! If you can aford the d**n sled, you can aford the insurence!
Till the speed overcomes the fear of death!

Long live the cat!
straycat

Postby Tantrum » January 7th, 2002, 12:58 am

snowster,
With no insurance, what you are telling us is that if you got into an accident with one of us you would like "us" to flip the bill.
I dont know who you are but if you have a family and you wack a tree now they are stuck with the bill.
The smart thing to do is insure it.
Tantrum

Postby michahicks » January 7th, 2002, 3:01 am

In Mi. snowmobile insurance is not a requirement. Current registration and trail permit are what the "Boys"
will be looking for.
AL
1997 38' HR Endeavor, 275 Cat, Freightliner
2003 CR-V Toad, Blue Ox, Ready Brake
michahicks

Postby snowster » January 7th, 2002, 6:19 am

Ok guys, I'm listening to you. I am getting it insured 32/year liability and 150 for theft+collision. I will have trail passes and am working on getting it registered.
snowster

Postby ice_man_cometh » January 7th, 2002, 7:16 am

in wisconsin for cars and trucks, you legally do not need insurance as long as you can proove that you have $25,000. which is silly cuz if you do you can afford insurance. and whats this about high insurance rates? full coverage one my snowmobile is $148 and i am only 18, surly yours cant be nearly that high. and as for ridin without insurance, if you hit me and didnt have liability, there is something called a lawsuit, and when someone walks up to you and hands you an envelope and says you've been served, that means you have a lawsuit against your ass. and with that they can take away your car/truck (whatever you drive) or house in order to pay what your insurance should have paid. get insurance!
~john~
ice_man_cometh

Postby topdog » January 7th, 2002, 7:29 am

Hey straycat, where did you go to school. Last time I checked you spelled insurance that way, not insurence. Use the spell checker.
topdog

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum