Subscribe Today

Listen to this!

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Listen to this!

Postby GlennXC » January 8th, 2002, 8:41 am

I was riding on a lake and I hit 115 MPH, then I let off and then all of sudden the engine just shut off, I stopped, and I couldn't pull the rope out, then I kicked the primary clutch and turned it, then it started right back up, I thought I seized it, odd thing is, after this happened, the sled seemed faster. I had up over hundred, not to the bar, 4 times after this. It seemed to have gained power. I thought I might of scored a cylinder, but I would think I would of lost some power. My friend said this same thing happened to his 98 XC 600 three times and said it eventually scored a cylinder, but he never fixed it. This was very weird. Last year I had a 97 XC 600 and it seized the motor and I ended up boring it .010, new cylinders, rings, etc. but Polaris payed for parts and I payed $200 for labor. This was really weird.
GlennXC

Listen to this!

Postby Xtreme XC » January 8th, 2002, 10:33 am

Nothing weird at all, you siezed it. That's usually when it happens, when you go balls to the wall with just not quit enough lube in there, just enough to keep it from siezing when at WOT but as soon as you let off the hot motor is shut off from it's lube supply of gas and oil. That's when it seizes. You may have some of the piston ate away on the exhaust port side now that you know that you were slightly lean.

Buddy P
[IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l231/buddypaw/smallpic.jpg[/IMG]
Xtreme XC

Listen to this!

Postby ZR800XC » January 8th, 2002, 11:59 am

your pilot jet or air screw could also be too lean, the mixture is too lean to cool the engine upon deceleration...I wouldn't rule out a lubrication problem, but it's probably not the cause. clean the carbs and make sure there's no build up in the pilots, and that the air screws are adjsted properly, this'll probably fix it.

[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/twister1.jpg">[/img]

ZR800XC

Listen to this!

Postby Snotcicles » January 8th, 2002, 12:09 pm

i think XtremeXC is right on with this one. If your Wound Flat Out (WFO) and you just let completely off the throttle, you stand a very good chance of a siezure. Sorry
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Snotcicles

Listen to this!

Postby Straightliner » January 8th, 2002, 12:25 pm

You cooked it. Take compression test dry and wet.
Straightliner

Listen to this!

Postby Xtreme XC » January 8th, 2002, 3:46 pm

ZR800XC, it IS a seize. I gaurantee it. 100%. Take the head off and look at the cylinder walls....they WILL be scuffed. Unfortunatly I have had a couple experiences with this.
Xtreme XC

Listen to this!

Postby thekrust » January 8th, 2002, 7:15 pm

I'll tel you for sure that you siezed it tight. And you just bought yourself at least 1 new piston. From here on in the longer you run it the more it will cost to fix it. If you have warranty now would be a good time to use it.
Ride on!
thekrust

Listen to this!

Postby zr60001 » January 8th, 2002, 10:35 pm

GlennXC- you from central MN?
zr60001

Listen to this!

Postby GlennXC » January 9th, 2002, 4:58 am

I live in southern Maine. So, I only put 35 miles on it since I bought it from the dealer, should I have them take a look. It only has 1900 miles on it. Maybe if I am lucky, it will only be one piston.
GlennXC

Listen to this!

Postby Xtreme XC » January 9th, 2002, 5:38 am

9 times out of 10 it will be the PTO side piston. The Mag side will probably be lightly scuffed but good enough to not mess with it. It will be a 4 point seize (4 spots around the piston). The piston replacment isn't the big deal though, it's recoating your scored cylinder walls. You can get away without recoating them but to do it properly it should be recoated. The thin area's of the cylinder wall at the ports may even be cracked and have to be welded too.
Xtreme XC

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum