Subscribe Today

PLease, i really need Help With my XLT Polaris

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby fortresss » January 9th, 2002, 11:24 pm

Hi! First, Sorry for my bad english im a french Canadian :)...

I have just bought a used Sled. Its a Polaris XLT Limited 1998 my just 3000 Miles. The first Owner had put a Clutch Kit on It. Well, the performance was good between 0 to 50 mph but after, i need a very very long distance to reach 80mph (i can reach 85 mph with wind behind me). But my friend, with is POLARIS XLT 1994, stock, have a very good acceleration at low and high speed and reach 95 very easily far in front of me. Well i decided to put back the original kit and made it stock. But now, the acceleration at low speed is poor and i don't have more top speed. The acceleration at high speed is a little better but my friend is again in front of me.

I was thinking it was a good deal with this snowmobile but im very disappointed with the performance. It is Normal ??? It is normal that a Stock 1994 XLT is very better than mine??? Can i make some adjustement???? Its not me that put back the original clutch kit, its was at the garage. Maybe they don'T have make the good adjustement??? What top speed i should reach???

Thanks guys for reading me
fortresss

Postby CatmanZR800 » January 10th, 2002, 12:28 am

fortresss,

First of all, just wanted to welcome you to the forum! Always like to hear from our Canadian brothers and sisters!

A good friend of mine has one of those too. Athough his may be the Special and not the Limited like yours... they have the same engine. My friend's hood is white though.

What my thoughts are on the problem is probably worn piston rings with that many miles/kilometers. You stated 3000 miles (4828km) on that sled, so you could be lacking in compression that's needed in part of that "snap" of power. Or, it could be as simple as old spark plugs and belt. While you're at it, pull the chaincase cover off and check the gears and chain. I'm sure the chaincase oil needs to be changed anyway.

If you want some extra power, maybe some V-force reeds will do the trick too.
See -
http://dynoport.com/600-xcr-1994-1996.html
WARNING! Cats are meat eaters!
CatmanZR800

Postby fortresss » January 10th, 2002, 12:32 am

hi! Thx for reading me. Well, my belt and spark plug are new. I also asked to check the chaincase when they have put back the old clutch kit. Im supposed to have clean machine,, im suppose

You think its a high mileage??? 3000 miles ????

*This Message was edited on 10-Jan-02 05:33 AM by fortresss*
fortresss

Postby fortresss » January 10th, 2002, 12:55 am

I reach max 8000rpm. It is ok???
fortresss

Postby indyized » January 10th, 2002, 9:05 am

3000 miles alot! Not a chance I run a 97 xlt special with 14000 miles believe me compression is not an issue with your machine unless there were some real troubles during it's short life. I also have two other much older machines with more miles than this one and no motor troubles. All polaris brand. my experience with my sleds is every 3000 to 4000 miles it becomes necessary to rebuild the primary clutch due to worn bushings. I have noticed the same symptoms you explain while riding with others. Pull the clutch and remove the top plate which is spring loaded and check for wobble of the plate along the shaft while sliding the plate up & down. If you have the tools pull the rest apart and due the same. If you are inclined to do this remove the clutch and your dealer rebuild. Usually goes about $100.00.
indyized

Postby indyized » January 10th, 2002, 9:10 am

Also 8000 rpm is perfect. Look under the hood for a whit sticker with all the production info and specs. Max rpm is listed there.
indyized

Postby H20skipper » January 10th, 2002, 9:39 am

Have you tried re-jetting at all? Stock they usually set them pretty rich to prevent you from blowing up your engine. On the same chart with the RPM max indized mentioned there should be a graph showing how to jet it for your elvation/temp you ride at. How about the slides/track tightness-I replaced the slides on my XLT sp and I don't know why exactly but it seemed to make a big difference on the top end.
H20skipper

Postby fortresss » January 11th, 2002, 6:29 am

Hey guys, what you think about this???

"...The lack of power from the XLT limited is not only normal its what its acronnym name implies, Xtra lethargic tripple. I have a 97' XLT limited which means limited power beyond lethargic, 34mm baby carbs. Friends with the XLT HO with 38 mm carbs walk all over it as well as a plethora of 500LC powered sleds as indy 500's. I top out 2 82mph under best lake conditions, I'm 250. The other XLT's HO's I ride with with 38mm carbs go 90mph. There was a race with 600CX last year that left me in the dust, big difference..."

fortresss

Postby indyized » January 11th, 2002, 9:30 am

Yup
these xlt's certainly are not powerhouses! However your first post says 0 to 50 with slow reach to topend
This is not all that normal. This machine should run up to 70 mph with little trouble. I still recommend servicing thos clutches. It is also common for the driven clutch to become gummed up with dust from the belt and hamper it's response also.
indyized

Postby snofisher » January 12th, 2002, 9:23 am

your last statment "what do you guys think about this." is correct. The xlt limited has the smaller carbs on it and you should also have eletric start and reverse. That sled was ment to be a "solo trail touring" sled. It gets a bit better gas milage and has a plusher ride than the xlt special but it was not ment to be a lake rocket, just a trial cruser. Plus you have the extra 12 suspension which takes away some top end. The 94's with the older suspension do not ride as well but they are able to get some more speed out of them. Hope this helps out some.
THINK SNOW!!!!
snofisher

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum