Subscribe Today

Maniac.....

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Maniac.....

Postby MX-ZAHOLIC » January 23rd, 2002, 7:41 am

Maniac, my buddy got your e-mail off of the profile listing, and he's gonna e-mail you about your recent bearing failure. He also rides a Rotax triple (that needs an oil hole). He just had to get a rebuild done as well, now it's making a weird noise, kind of a metallic sound off of the PTO side, it may be the clutch but we're not sure. Just wondering if yours did the same thing before your bearing spun. Any help is greatly appreciated.
[b][purple]SNOW'S ALL GONE, TIME TO GO FISHIN'![/b][/purple]

[b][blue]WEATHER IN FORT FRANCES[/b][/blue]
[img]http://www.theweathernetwork.com/inter/weathercentre/weatherbutton/images/can/KINL.gif[/img]
MX-ZAHOLIC

Maniac.....

Postby Maniac » January 23rd, 2002, 7:47 am

Sounds like bad news. I'll go and check my e-mail right away.
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

Maniac.....

Postby Maniac » January 23rd, 2002, 7:59 am

Ok, no e-mail yet, guess I looked too soon. Anyways heres what happened.
I was running across a lake when I suddenly heard a weird squeaking noise. It soon went away and I kept on going. Suddenly my sled started to develope a slight vibration at high speeds, but it still ran and at low speeds it was non-existant.
That's about all that happened, and it still ran fine, but I suspect that the squeaking was the bearing spinning on the crank. Also, it was the second bearing that went on mine, so the crank was still somewhat supported by the other bearings so it did not bend. Had it have been the outside I would have been in much more trouble.
Have you tried taking the clutch off and rolling the motor over to listen for bearing noise?
Pull up and down on the clutch to check for crank play.
Any vibrations while riding?
Even if it turns out not to be the bearing, I would still suggest that your friend gets the oil gallery drilled. If you bend a crank, say bye bye to alot of engine parts.
I know it's a pain, especially if you and your friend rebuilt the motor yourselves, but really it'll probably save money in the long run.
Keep me updated and feel free to ask any questions.
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

Maniac.....

Postby It sleeps in the back yard » January 23rd, 2002, 9:34 am

Maniac .. Im the budy the e-is on it's way
Hey Thats not a low flying Cessna !!
Or is it?!
It sleeps in the back yard

Maniac.....

Postby MX-ZAHOLIC » January 23rd, 2002, 12:39 pm

Thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated.
[b][purple]SNOW'S ALL GONE, TIME TO GO FISHIN'![/b][/purple]

[b][blue]WEATHER IN FORT FRANCES[/b][/blue]
[img]http://www.theweathernetwork.com/inter/weathercentre/weatherbutton/images/can/KINL.gif[/img]
MX-ZAHOLIC

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum