Subscribe Today

2002 Polaris Edge Reverse Failed

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby DeepSnow » January 25th, 2002, 1:05 am

Anyone put the 2002 piece of crap reverse on their XC SP this year? I ordered a sled with both ES and reverse and within 1000 miles, both had failed. Bad dealer setup or is this crap from the factory? I heard the reverse gear has been recalled on the new 2002's and that your dealer was supposed to call you about it.

For reference, I have two 2000 600 Deluxes and never had reverse or electric start problems with either of them. Both sleds have 3000 miles on them.
When days get shorter, nights get colder, snow gets deeper, life gets better!
DeepSnow

Postby Majorsnow » January 25th, 2002, 1:31 am

My brother has had the same problem. I'm taking his sled in to LaBarons today for him. (He lives out of state) There is supposed to be a bracket that updates the reverse gear functionality. The ear on the mag chain case cover breaks off, so they had to add a bracket to make it more robust.
I suggest you talk to your dealer and ask why they did not tell you about the fix.

Good luck!

P.S. At least your not missng out on a world record snowfall.
Majorsnow

Postby Tantrum » January 25th, 2002, 2:06 am

Ive got one with only 75mls on it. I think the reverse gear was used less than a half dozen times. I will have to check the mail but I dont believe Ive gotten anything from the dealer. Sled was delivered only 4 weeks ago maybe they have already upgraded it.
Keep us informed as to what your dealer says.
Tantrum

Postby Majorsnow » January 25th, 2002, 3:27 am

Hey Tantrum,
Just look at your reverse linkage. If it is connected to a metal bracket mounted to the chaincase cover, then you're all set.
If it is mounted right to the chain case cover, then you need the bracket.
I hope yours is already done.
Majorsnow

Postby jinx » January 25th, 2002, 11:28 pm

polaris put out a bulletin about the problems with the reverse on the 2002 sleds. i have a 600 xc sp and my dealer called me up and said to bring the sled in for a 5 min repair to the reverse. there was a sleeve that was going to fix the problem, but i had already used reverse and my chain case cover started to bend already, so the sleeve did not fit (that sucks) so now the new chain case cove is backordered from polaris and i should have it installed before the end of the month!!!...

CHECK OUT LINK BELOW FOR NEW PICS
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/northeastsnowmobileclub
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/northeastsnowmobileclub/
jinx

Postby DeepSnow » February 6th, 2002, 8:13 am

The case cracked on mine. Also waiting for a cover backordered from Polaris. My dealer didn't do me the courtesy as yours did. But my dealer sucks, so I wouldn't have expected it. This is a pretty crappy design by Polaris. I can't believe they didn't test this thing better than this.
When days get shorter, nights get colder, snow gets deeper, life gets better!
DeepSnow

Postby kenlacy » February 6th, 2002, 2:41 pm

d**n - I must be lucky - Have 800 miles on my 02xc8 so far and been beating the s**t out of my reverse. Ever stop on the side of the trails and your behind one of your buddy's - then he looks back with that grin on his face and guns it - leaving you with roost on your face. I have never had reverse before so I though I would try a reverse roost - worked perfect - sprayed him good.

Ill have to look at my reverse and call my dealer - I did look on Polaris's website where they list recalls - nothing there about it.
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Postby kenlacy » February 7th, 2002, 2:43 am

Checked with my dealer - they had the note too. They say it is a 15 minute fix.
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Postby polarisman415 » February 7th, 2002, 7:02 am

Isn't it the same thing as the 2001's??? (Pull out a lever on the left side of the sled)???

The XCR800 Kicks ass
polarisman415

Postby 02xcsp700 » February 7th, 2002, 12:10 pm

Does anybody know what to look for if you need the recall. I looked at mine, It has a black lever coming out of the chaincase, connected to the linkage...I went to my dealer and he gave me the part i need He said it was a 5 min fix so I told him I would do it myself, Just can't figure out where the hell it goes!!
02xcsp700

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum