Subscribe Today

widen ski stance on older sled ????

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby 85jag » February 4th, 2002, 6:46 am

My 85 Jag is quite unstable because the skis are close together and it has a queer-ass suspension. What are the pros and cons of widening the distance between the skis by a foot or so with some precision welding?? I figure it would be more stable and I wouldn't have to lean quite so much into my turns. THe skis are also crappy which doesn't help my situation any. Ideas/thoughts??
85jag

Postby indy500 » February 4th, 2002, 7:01 am

does it have normal leaf spring skies on front?
98 indy 500,
indy500

Postby Snosport » February 4th, 2002, 10:38 am

I had a couple of 94 Panteras with the same front end. When I got them they were horrible. Darted all over and tried to follow every rut in the trail. The fix that worked for me was to align the skis so they are as close to parallel as possible, if you have threaded collars on the front shocks set them to the setting recommended in the manual. The Panteras were recommended at 3/4 to 1 inch of threads showing below the collar. The thing that made the biggest difference was when I found "ski savers" from Bergstrom Skegs. This is a plastic strip that mounts between the skeg and the ski. Really helped with the darting and following the ruts in the trail. I put them on one of the Panteras and not the other at first and there was a night and day difference. You can find Bergstrom info at Bergstromskegs.com. Phone # is 800-237-5347
Snosport

Postby 85jag » February 4th, 2002, 1:59 pm

The skis have small leaves and little girly shock absorbers that look like geo Metro shocks (minus the coil). There isn't much connecting the skis to the sled so I figured I could do some creatinve welding to mount each ski 6 inches or so wider than there current position. I figure this will give my sled much better handling.
85jag

Postby Snosport » February 5th, 2002, 5:12 am

Sorry for the wrong information. I was thinking 95 Jag with the original AWS suspension.
Snosport

Postby PolarisIndy » February 5th, 2002, 7:13 am

You can wide them with simple plates of steel. I wouldn't go 6" on each side though. Maybe 2-3" at the most. And you will probably loose the girly little shocks when you do it. Unless you come up with a place to mount them.... You used to be able to buy the kits out of Dennis Kirk, don't know if you still can or not... I think they where about $30 or so but I'm not positive...
PolarisIndy

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum