Subscribe Today

First-timer goin' to the UP of Michigan

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby ZR_Warlock! » February 4th, 2002, 7:18 am

Hey all... don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but...

My wife and I are getting into Munising on Wednesday the 6th. We're staying Wed. & Thurs. nights at the Best Western of Munising, then driving to Newberry Friday morn, sledding around the area on Friday, and spending the eve at the Comfort Inn in Newberry. Saturday morning we're packin' up and headin' back to Ohio.

My question is, what would be the best trails to hit in those areas if we're mainly looking for a nice, smooth ride? Are there any places we *have* to check out, and what kinda nightlife is there in those areas? We're not looking to go bar hoppin' on the sleds during the day (maybe one or two), but after a day of riding I don't mind emptying several bottles of beer. Also, my wife is close to being a novice sledder, so I don't wanna take her anyplace treacherous.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, and if there's a better place to post this message I'll gladly do that. Thanks for the help...

Matt
'01 Jayco Eagle pop-up
ZR_Warlock!

Postby Bruns » February 4th, 2002, 7:29 am

When you are in Newberry the trail to Tahquamenon Falls wide, smooth and in good shape. I,m sure if you ask the locals, they will tell you where to eat.
Bruns

Postby ZR800XC » February 4th, 2002, 11:17 am

I'm sure no matter which way you head you're going to leave with a smile on your face, all the trails over there are in good shape now with plenty of snow!!!!!!!

[img]http://my.core.com/~twister76/twister1.jpg">[/img]

ZR800XC

Postby Michiganstopcat » February 4th, 2002, 1:15 pm

Zr warlock the first thing you should do is cancell your reservation in munising and just stay the hole time in newberry.In my opinion riding into or out of munsising sucks.You can still go to munising even if your staying in newberry actually its a nice ride.When your staying in newberry be sure to ride to the falls,seney,and dont forget grand marias.What ever you do dont eat at pine stump junction on the northern route to paridise on trail 8 the owners are assho.es and the food straight up sucks.Another thing be real carefull with your wife up there if shes not experienced.Its gets very crazy up there.Tell her to at all times stay on her side of the trail.Have a good time and enjoy it wont be your last trip.Youll love the riding and its well worth the extra 2 hours by far.
Michiganstopcat

Postby BLADEGUY » February 4th, 2002, 2:39 pm

I like staying at the Best Western. The trick is to stay off of trail 8, which is usually terribly bumpy. This can be accomplished by getting a good map (available at most gas stations) and following some of the smaller roads (past trail 8). I agree with the above post that the ride to Seney and Grand Marais is excellent. When you leave the Best Western, take a left and had down M28. Follow the map to the Miners Castle trail, then take a right. Remember, you are staying in Wetmore, not Munising. The Buckhorn is a fun bar at night. You can also cut across some of the roads and head to a bar that has gas. I forget the name, but its on the map. Have a great time!
I want to ride every day, all day, as fast as I can.
BLADEGUY

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum