Subscribe Today

twins vs triples..... what advantages/disadvantages

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby KneeDeepInSnow » February 10th, 2002, 3:50 am

HEy, what s the deal with twins vs. triples.

I have always thought twins are better because only two cylinders, less to go wrong...
Triples need more work, more parts, wires running around , more need for coolant, burn gas a bit faster, as far as i can tell

i can see triples give you lower C of G and if one cylinder /plug failed you still have two cylinders to run on.

so what are the adavntages and disadvantages???
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/KDX250/SDbrbr.jpg[/IMG]
[b][i][blue]DAYS GET SHORTER, SNOW GETS DEEPER, LIFE GETS BETTER[/blue][/i][/b]
KneeDeepInSnow

Postby Plumit 6336 » February 10th, 2002, 4:44 am

I have a 99 700mm triple I get 15 mpg if im heading to the play grounds a little less in the deep powder.5900mi never had a problem going for a
RX-1 Mountain can't wait til next year.
Plumit 6336

Postby SLEDHEADRED » February 10th, 2002, 6:10 am

knee deep, you are not on the right track!!
Triple's get way better mileage than twins could ever think of getting!
Ive ridden triples for years and have never had internal problems.PERIOD!!!!
If you read the message boards as i do, then You know the twins have a melt down problem if incorrect jetting and piping occur, as with all sleds!
But case in point is alot of people are melting down 01/02 XC800's, improper set up!!!!!

Triple rule!!!!!
JOIN A CLUB
[url=http://WWW.DRIFTSKIPPERS.COM]The Driftskippers[/url]
SLEDHEADRED

Postby Maniac » February 10th, 2002, 6:55 am

If you find the right triple, you won't have any problems. Most of them have a defect somewhere, but as long as you know about it and get it fixed you should be fine.
I blow away similar sized twins with my '96 Formula III 600. On lakes that is. In trails a 500 will give me a run in the corners but on the straits I can take the twins.
Anyways, as far as I know, triples gice way more midrange to top end. Twins are known for there bottom end, but I just put carbon tech reeds in my sled and it has tons of bottom end now with the new belt so...I guess it's whatever you prefer. i just like the sound of a silenced and stingered triple.
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

Postby Polaris XCR800 » February 10th, 2002, 8:29 am

Well I just got back from dragracing my xcr800. I raced two xc800's. I got about a sled ahead on the start and really started to pull around 50mph. At about 1000ft, I beat both of them about 5-6 sled lengths. We raced 3 times across a lake and did the same each time. My sled is stock and one of the xc's had reeds and the other had pipes and heads. Needless to say, the modified one did the worse! He also said he owned a xcr800 before the xc. He said he hated the xc and regretted getting rid of the xcr. He said the xcr had better fuel mileage and outhandled the xc. He tried everything to get the xc to handle (including new shock and block adjusters)and still couldn't get it to stop rolling. By the way, does anybody have any advice on reeds for the xcr800? Just petals or the whole cage?
Polaris XCR800

Postby SLEDHEADRED » February 10th, 2002, 9:02 am

I run V-force 2 reeds in my 02 xcr8.
I run stock one's in my 99. I am selling the 99, but I will tell the guy who buys it to add them, might as well try the petal's and go from there.
I can tell a difference from my 99 to my 02, the 02 is criper and cleaner, but the 99 will run even with my 02, but that is with my 40 lb. lighter buddy riding the 99!
triples rule!!!!!!!!
JOIN A CLUB
[url=http://WWW.DRIFTSKIPPERS.COM]The Driftskippers[/url]
SLEDHEADRED

Postby bergy1 » February 10th, 2002, 11:52 am

I have always liked triples and they have the
potential for more top end but I am slowly changing my mind to twins. I really like my 02
xc800!
bergy1

Postby indy500 » February 11th, 2002, 12:15 am

nothing sounds better then a triple with pipes,
98 indy 500,
indy500

Postby It sleeps in the back yard » February 13th, 2002, 1:37 pm

to tell you honestly....triples simply out power most twins, and i would rather be leading than following
Hey Thats not a low flying Cessna !!
Or is it?!
It sleeps in the back yard

Postby tcat2 » February 13th, 2002, 2:09 pm

It depends on your prefrence. I like tripples. They are much smoother. Tripples are heavier and generally more powerful. The twins are lighter and seem to develope more low end ... but ... with very minor mods, I think any tripple can develope great low end too.

The sadest feeling I have had regarding snowmobiling, is when I found out that the Thundercat was no more. I try to ride all the top performing sleds every year. None of the twins available ever really impressed me ... although that can be because I have been on 900 & 1000 cc sleds since 1996.
Long Live the Tripples !!!!
tcat2

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum