Subscribe Today

Can sleds go on water, sand, or mud??

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby 85jag » March 2nd, 2002, 1:01 am

I saw a picture of a guy crossing a pond on his sled. THis made me wonder if they can be used on sand dunes or in a muddy swamp. Anyone seen this or tried it??
85jag

Postby snogoer7c » March 2nd, 2002, 3:30 am

its not a good idea for a couple reasons. to go on water you have to keep on the power, so your track is clawing to keep you up and go forward, if you let off, your sunk. Sand, never heard of that, the skis would work ok in it, but the Hyfax on your rear suspention wouldnt get enough lubrication or cooling, so it would fry. and, the same with mud. SNOWmobiles are called SNOWmobiles because there designed for SNOW transportation. yes, there are grass drags, and water cross, but those sleds are highly modified to cope with the different terrain. just stick to riding snow.
when hell freezes over, i'll snowmobile there too.
snogoer7c

Postby 600 PRO X » March 2nd, 2002, 5:43 am

ON EITHER 2SCS OR BRAPP THEY TOOK A SLED TO HAWAII AND WENT SLEDDING ON THE BEACH WITH ALL THE SAND THEN THEY DROVE INTO THE OCEAN AND GO ABOUT A MILE OR SO FROM SHORE AND SANK IT WAS SOME CRAZY STUFF
2003 SKI-DOO 440 MXZX REV

600 PRO X

Postby 580440 » March 3rd, 2002, 3:10 am

Riding on water for the most part isn't a good idea.I have done it but the thing to worry about is sinking and how you are going to get the sled out,and the fines the DNR are going to give you.If you want to run on sand you have no way to cool the sled if it is a L.C. if it is a fan no problem.Mud if you get stuck have fun getting it out,it would be 4times worse than being stuck in the snow.It would also be a big mess to clean up.Before someone jumps me about this I am not telling anyone to do any of this,but under controlled conditions it can be done safely.REMEMBER TO WEAR SAFETY GEAR WHENEVER YOU RIDE.

*This Message was edited on 03-Mar-02 08:10 AM by 580440*

*This Message was edited on 03-Mar-02 08:12 AM by 580440*
brad willemsen

Postby jwassoc » March 4th, 2002, 5:05 am

The video of the snowmobile skipping on water is at www.jtwfloat.com

The snowmobile on the ocean in Hawaii is in Frontier Films latest movie release KILLIN' IT. The rider in the film used our Nebulus snowmobile flotation device to keep the sled off the bottom of the Ocean.

The Nebulus device is a safety flotation device for snowmobiles and ATV riders that have crashed through thin ice. These accidents claim 50 lives each year in Canada and the United States.

Snowmobiles are commonly skipped safely over the water in competition each summer. There are many web sites that cover this sport.
john weinel
jwassoc

Postby DAVE7625 » March 4th, 2002, 7:56 am

does anyone think thats the new firecats will go good on water. because of the 13.5 inch wide track, my sled right now currently goes good on water (2001 mxz 600 adrealine) and i want to get a firecat F7 but, im kinda worried if it will go good on water?
DAVE7625

Postby DAVE7625 » March 4th, 2002, 7:56 am

does anyone think thats the new firecats will go good on water. because of the 13.5 inch wide track, my sled right now currently goes good on water (2001 mxz 600 adrealine) and i want to get a firecat F7 but, im kinda worried if it will go good on water?
DAVE7625

Postby RAGE » March 4th, 2002, 12:18 pm

DUDE THROW ANY CAT IN THE WATER WHAT HAPPENS.
I LIVE JUST ON THE MOUTH OF A RIVER AND WE RIDE ACROSS 1/4 MILE IN THE SUMMER TO THE BEACH ON THE OTHER SIDE. OH YA AND THERE IS NO FINE FOR SINKING YOU HAVE TO REPORT AND THEY HIRE THE DIVERS TO RETRIEVE THATS THE BUMMER
RAGE

Postby It sleeps in the back yard » March 4th, 2002, 12:48 pm

About an hours drive from where I live. There is a town by the name of Atikokan, 1000 people live there if that. In the late summer the have a annual mudfling and watercross competition. The watercross is pretty cool to watch. They tear off the seat and crank up the rear susp. they race on a man made lake thats about 15-20ft deep. They get a 30 ft run from the beach to the lake, to get some speed up, the course is clockwise around four markers, and the first one to make 5 laps and get back to shore wins their heat. the sunken ones are towed back to shore by a small barge, to be drained of water and started back up. all in all its pretty cool to watch.
Hey Thats not a low flying Cessna !!
Or is it?!
It sleeps in the back yard

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum