Subscribe Today

Formula 3 seized motor

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Formula 3 seized motor

Postby Bernie K » March 3rd, 2002, 10:58 am

I recently bought a 1996 ski doo formula 3 with 2600 miles. I have put 500 on it to date ,and it has ran excellent. Last night I was riding at 45 MPH and it seized number 2 piston. Any Ideas on what could have caused this.
Bernie K

Formula 3 seized motor

Postby speednutt » March 3rd, 2002, 11:37 am

did you check your jetting? maybe your main jet is plugged. were you riding in snow dust or powder? getting snow in you intake will do this.

have you taken the cylinder off yet? is it scored on the exhhaust side? is it scored on the four corners? does the piston show good wash by each of the intake ports? is the spark plug black, brown, or other? is there shiny stuff (aluminum) on the end of your spark plug?

answer some of these questions and we can give you a good idea why she went sour on you.

fyi. if you need another motor i have a complete 96 fIII motor (1200 miles) complete with ignition, pipes, carbs, and clutches.

i will sell complete for $800.00

i can be reached nlantto@ll.net
[url]www.cmsaracing.com[/url]
[img]http://www.cmsaracing.com/images/logoweb1.jpg[/img]
speednutt

Formula 3 seized motor

Postby NH_Renegade » March 3rd, 2002, 1:37 pm

Were the oil filters ever changed? If an oil filter gets gunk or ice in it, you can say bye bye to your motor.
[i]NH_Renegade[/i] :C
NH_Renegade

Formula 3 seized motor

Postby Bernie K » March 4th, 2002, 7:30 am

No i have not checked my jetting. The spark plug is slightly silver. I was riding briefly in powder prior to the motor quiting. As far as the piston the top is unharmed. The skirts on both sides are scored but not on the corners. It almost looks like a lack of oil problem. I noticed it has not really used oil that much. Im not familar with the oil ingection setup.
Bernie K

Formula 3 seized motor

Postby Bernie K » March 4th, 2002, 7:39 am

Im not familiar with the oil injection system. Is the filter on the bottom of the resovoir? I Have not consumed that much oil. About a gallon to 400 or 500 miles. This does not seem like enough to me. The piston looks like it didnt have enough oil.

Oh Its a trail sled.

*This Message was edited on 04-Mar-02 12:42 PM by Bernie K*
Bernie K

Formula 3 seized motor

Postby speednutt » March 4th, 2002, 10:16 am

your oil consumption is about correct. it should equal about 1 quart to 10 gallons or so (40:1)and about 1 quart to 12.5 gallons for 50:1. most injection systems are 50:1.

is it possible you may have had snow enter your oil resevoir, either by falling off your glove while filling or otherwise? if so then it is possible that the snow melted and then turned to ice in your filter and stops the flow of oil.

the oil filter is located between the oil resevoir and the motor. it is directly in line like a fuel filter. i recommend that they be changed annually.

speednutt
speednutt

Formula 3 seized motor

Postby It sleeps in the back yard » March 4th, 2002, 11:05 am

I ride a 94 Mach Z 780, and burnt the pto side piston. And I mean BURNT..but the cause of my problem was a lean jet. I decided to check the other 2 and found them to have had some cold seized scoring, possibly you might have the same thing going on in your motor. All from not letting the machine warm up before tearing loose.
But its a small price to pay for being famous! lol
Hey Thats not a low flying Cessna !!
Or is it?!
It sleeps in the back yard

Formula 3 seized motor

Postby Bernie K » March 5th, 2002, 3:23 am

Yes it could be possible I might have got snow in the tank earlier that day when I checked the oil.

Thanks I will change the filter and replace the oil with new.I have been using ski doo oil.

Do you recommend a different brand?

Bernie K
Bernie K

Formula 3 seized motor

Postby Bernie K » March 5th, 2002, 3:44 am

I'm going to check the carbs and everything else for that matter before firing it. I will check the other pistons and cylinders before ordering parts.

Still have snow at the Fort? I was riding in Sioux Narrows the first week of February.Good times in the Narrows!!!

No, its a high flying Leer jet!!!
Bernie K

Formula 3 seized motor

Postby speednutt » March 5th, 2002, 4:35 am

skidoo oil works very good for your sled.
speednutt

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum