Subscribe Today

What kind of helmet?

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

What kind of helmet?

Postby Tracer » March 3rd, 2002, 3:28 pm

New to the site and to snowmobiling and just wondering about what type of helmet to get. I am mostly going to be trail riding and have seen the modular, full face and snowcross type - any advice? What is the best way to limit fogging, etc.? Thanks for any help
Tracer

What kind of helmet?

Postby all out racing » March 3rd, 2002, 3:49 pm

Go with the moto-x style their more stylish and they don't fog as much.
------------------------
i'm pretty sure yamaha could sell cow $hit for food to the same guys that bought all the rx1 hype...
all out racing

What kind of helmet?

Postby zr500 » March 3rd, 2002, 10:20 pm

Each kind has their advantages and disadvantages,so it will be a matter of what ultimately suits you best. Not that you want to go out and buy 3 helmets, but maybe if you can try out some friends helmets in same size as you would wear,can get a feel for them. If price is no object, and it shouldn't be to protect your noggin', then get the best you can afford. Look for DOT or Snell approved helmets. I wear an Arctic Cat TXi, full face that has gasket that seals around nose/eyes to limit fogging. It also has removable visor to block out sun or snow.
zr500

What kind of helmet?

Postby IndyRed » March 4th, 2002, 6:46 am

Modular - No fog, convenient one hand lift to talk, ect.. and quick snap down and off you go.
IndyRed

What kind of helmet?

Postby zr800newyork » March 5th, 2002, 1:19 am

Full face for me...like zr500 I found the top of the line Artic Cat seals and prevents fogging like no other helmet I've worn since 1970...The removeable pieces make it comfortable for warmer riding too... sound advice ride with diff ones and you'll not make a expensive error...
TUG HILL CRUISIN'
Sno-Goer Magazine-Nov'03 issue
zr800newyork

What kind of helmet?

Postby blackmxz600 » March 12th, 2002, 2:55 pm

It's all about what temps you ride in and how much you want to spend. I have a Modular helmet that I wear most of the time and love. I have worn it from -30 all the way up into the 40's and it has never fogged on me and the sunsheild is the nicest thing when its sunny out (plus you end up looking like some jet pilot). On the warm days i love to wear my HJC ACX-1. I bought it for dirtbiking but on the warm days it keeps me cool and looks awesome. You have a little more periferal vision and they are much lighter weight. If you spend some time u can make an open-face helmet warmer by blocking vents and special masks, but when its cold outside (early morning, late night, or just cold day) nothing beats a Modular.
blackmxz600

What kind of helmet?

Postby blackmxz600 » March 12th, 2002, 3:01 pm

Forgot to say something about open-face helmets, if you go that way make sure you get dual pane lenses in your goggles. I end up putting in my dual pane lenses for early and late season dirtbiking because they work wonders against fogging. Good luck!
blackmxz600

What kind of helmet?

Postby snonut2 » March 13th, 2002, 9:02 am

moto style or O.E.M full face.
My bud has a modular and hates it!
we're always waiting for him to ajust
it whenever we leave a restraunt!I must
say I like the sun sheild at the push of
a button , and everyone knows, we all saw our share of sun this season!! Good luck.
snonut2

What kind of helmet?

Postby snowraser » March 13th, 2002, 1:09 pm

I love and have worn my snoforce helmet for 10 years now. Just recently I found I like it much better without the mouth/nose insert. I can now wear my sunglasses inside the helmet without a fogging problem. I feel the modular is very expensive, and you must like having a big rubber gasket pushed on your face all day. They do keep the shield from fogging. My buddy likes his open face helmet, but always seems to endup with a ring of frostbike around his goggles. Getting everyones impressions will be your best bet, so this forum is a great way to figure out where you want to start, but like the earlier writer suggested, try a few, and dont buy a cheap brain bucket. I consider my head to be the most important part of my anatomy, well, almost...

Jeff
4 strokes r better than 2
snowraser

What kind of helmet?

Postby ChrisXCR » March 14th, 2002, 2:19 am

Snocross type helmet. Find goggles that fit the opening and wear a ski mask. Best vision and you breathe clean air all day so you stay fresh. Just make sure you have no exposed skin.

Whatever you get don't be afraid to spend some money, get one that is both DOT and Snell approved, you don't want a cheap junk lid thats going to break or fall off in a crash. Whats the point in wearing one then? I have heard of failures with the modular helmets, the face part comes off in a crash, that is why they don't have a Snell rating. I wouldn't wear one. I don't care how well they prevent fogging. My Oakley's work just fine for that, thanks.

While your at it look into a Tek Vest or some other brand of snowmobile chest protector. A broken rib almost killed a friend of mine this winter, he wasn't wearing a vest. We don't know for sure if it would've prevented the broken rib but it sure wouldn't have hurt. I wear one all the time and it has saved me from injuries.

Accidents happen but you don't know when they will. I you ride long enough, you will make a mistake an have an off. You'll be glad you planned ahead.

Ride safe.
:p

For sale:
'01 [red]Pro[/red][blue]X[/blue]600

[b]REV 440 #600[/b]
ChrisXCR

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum