Subscribe Today

My cat may have no lives left..........

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby NorthernSkunk » December 26th, 2002, 7:11 am

OK trashers have fun with this one. You cat guys tell me what you think.

My f/kn 02 Arctic-Cat zr800 efi cross country sled has left me without a ride again at x-mas time. I rode it home, and rode it hard all the way, but never seen the damage til goin over it for the next ride. Never felt anything out of the ordinary while ridin the last time out either. It was actually runnin good. What I found was a nick on my secondarys outer sheave....right on the edge of the sheave and was maybe a third the size of your pinky nail(lol I can't think of another way to explain the size of the nick). I also seen belt burnt into the top of the primary(the outside edge of the sheave, where the belt shouldn't run), the outside edge of the secondary also has belt on it. I am wondering if the belt may have rode up too far and caused the nick(center to center and motor mounts are good)? Or if the secondary threw the piece off the clutch and then the belt pulled it around a few time? All four sheaves have nicks of various sizes, some fairly deep. That or it picked up somethin else out of the belly pan and threw it around a few times. But we do keep our sleds clean. I haven't found anythin in the belly pan yet. Any of you cat guys see anythin like this before?

I'll be strippin my sled on saturday. Have to swap tracks again, might as well do the shocks while the skid is out, gonna service/check the valves, and obviously rebuild two clutches but I get to put a new clutch kit in. I will let you know what else needs repairing. Then it may be for sale. I told the wife if I am gonna break sleds everytime I ride them then I might as well do it on the track. Might build/buy a stock oval sled and at least go testing on a real track for a day, see how fast we can go. Then probably back to trail riding. lol.

Anyways I need to order parts tomorrow, anyone got a couple cat clutches for sale?
Na i'm done with you, your to much of an ass for me!

Your on a need to know basis and since you never come out here you don't need to know....
NorthernSkunk

Postby BigDXLT » December 26th, 2002, 7:24 am

Ahh.. that's just rotten luck!

Sounds like cat had some bad aluminum!
Actually, perhaps a bolt (always one of them rolling around under a cat hood) got flung into there and beat around for a bit? Or a rock maybe, if someone in front of you was roosting you bad. Belt marks on top of the clutches though? Can't see how it would have even run if the belt got up there, and surely you would've noticed THAT! (Mind you, I've seen a phazer flip a belt inside out and still run - no broken motor mounts or nothing)

So... when you picking up that Rx1 there skunk? By the sounds of the way you run'em, you could use a tank! (I hear the 2004 spring orders will have camo green as an option, so you can keep all your cat gear!)
BigDXLT

Postby M10rules » December 26th, 2002, 7:30 am

Sent you an email about the clutches Skunk.
"Instruction manuals are nothing more than another man's opinion."
"Why would I lie to you, we're not married?"
M10rules

Postby NorthernSkunk » December 26th, 2002, 9:02 am

BigDXLT I did smoke the belt in the garage when I first tried to leave. But just for a second. Didn't think anythin was froze, thought it was ready to go. But could the belt jumpin up have taken that nick of aluminum with it? Thats what i'm thinkin now, all the other nicks are the same size or smaller than the piece of aluminum thats missin. or could the sheave of been cracked a bit and the sharp edge caught the belt? And then made the mess? I then rode alone that day, just visiting garages and runnin the river by myself. So nobody roosted me. And do you really think an rx-1 would take the abuse/riding better?

m10 nothin showed up in my e-mail.

Your on a need to know basis and since you never come out here you don't need to know....
NorthernSkunk

Postby M10rules » December 26th, 2002, 9:25 am

Skunk, send me an email at m10rules@yahoo.com
"Instruction manuals are nothing more than another man's opinion."
"Why would I lie to you, we're not married?"
M10rules

Postby R_TICAT » December 26th, 2002, 9:57 am

I don't think the belt would make a nick in the aluminium.
Why are you changing tracks "again"?
R_TICAT
R_TICAT

Postby NorthernSkunk » December 26th, 2002, 10:08 am

not that the belt made the nick R_TICAT, but that there was already a crack, maybe an edge lifted and then the spinning belt hooked it.

I have a .85 track on right now with 192 ice picks. I put that on in the spring when we run the ice(after the snow is all gone we still have lake ice for a few weeks). Since the snow has been so low here so far, and has melted and refroze a couple of times the ice picks were hookin up good:). Puttin my 1.25 track back on. And seriously putting the sled up for sale..I think.

NorthernSkunk

Postby Riley » December 26th, 2002, 12:25 pm

Hey stinky don't mention this over at amsnow you'll never hear the end of it.:) Riley
PJH Racing
Riley

Postby BigDXLT » December 26th, 2002, 12:27 pm

I really can't see how a belt could damage clutches that way. Even if it did catch a raised edge, what caused that in the first place? I sideswiped my buddy a few years back (fourth ride on the machine) and collapsed the side of the belly pan inward. Well, the hood of these old pol's rest in an aluminum trim. So I basically crunched the aluminum trim into my primary and brought the engine from 5000 rpm to 0 in .5 of a second. It has a couple of little nicks and scratches but nothing wider than the edge of a dime or longer than the diameter of one. Either defects in the metal or something solid was allowed to fly around in there at good rpm. And you say there are belt marks on top of the sheaves of both clutches? Maybe a stretched, or too long belt. May want to check center to center distance there perhaps. Amazing the belt went back down into the sheaves or didn't blow up.
BigDXLT

Postby NorthernSkunk » December 26th, 2002, 12:37 pm

lol @ riley.I already mentioned it to that lurker cfad...he will be blabbin about it soon enough.

yes BigDXLT.....I think the biggest chip out of the secondary was well on its way to comin off. The clutch spinnin may have been enough to make it finally let go and follow the belt around. The center to center seems right to me, belt height looks good, I will measure it before it comes aprt. The belt marks could of just been part of my ride lol. The 192 ice picks were lettin me go into the corners pretty hard. :)

NorthernSkunk

Next

Return to Trash Talkers