Subscribe Today

Met a soon to be EX CAT rider this weekend....you'll love th

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Met a soon to be EX CAT rider this weekend....you'll love th

Postby MM700 » August 18th, 2003, 4:51 am

I met a guy fishing this weekend....we were b.s.ing about the walleye fishing when the conversation turned to sleds....he told me he had a ZL 800 SS, and loved the sled but was buying a new one....and giving the ZL to his Girlfriend....So I asked him if he was buying a Sabrecat or a Firecat....and he said no...He was buying an RX-1 Warrior....I about fell out of my chair....I said why...your a big Cat guy who loves his sled...why would you buy a Yamaha four stroke....He said (and I quote) "I want a four stroke that kicks ass..not an old car engine with a turbo...the 660 CAt just doesn't turn my crank...and I want a four stroke"...He also told me he ran into the Yamaha guys in the U.P. and they let him ride the Warrior, and he says it's amazing...he said it was better handling and rode much smoother than any Rx-1 he rode last winter....and was very quick...he said overall he was very impressed, and thats why he ordered it.....I teased him a bit...about being a CAt guy switching to Yamaha....he just laughed and told me get used to it.....t5here are more Cat riders who don't like sleds with 13 inch snowcross tracks....ther are also many Cat riders who want a high performance 4 stroke...not an old turboed car motor!!!...I told him that the Cat riders here do not want 4 strokes...they want the snocross specials more..(right Skunk, Mainecat)...The Cat guys I know don't like slow 4 stroke granny grocery getters...right guys????This guy happened to think Cat is blowing it...with the snocross type sleds...He said if Cat made a 4 stroke to go head to head with Yamaha he would go back...but not until they do.....He also said (this is for you Mainecat).."When I opened the hood on an F-7...I was shocked at what I was looking at...it looked like an unfinished peice of crap"...he said he couldn't believe cat would put out a sled with such poor fit and finish....He said his ZL is put together much better...so he went shopping and is going with Yamaha....So what do you Cat guys think of that????...lol
MM700

Met a soon to be EX CAT rider this weekend....you'll love this mainecat....

Postby willpower » August 18th, 2003, 5:07 am

problem is those 4 stroke yamis don't kick azz,they suck it!
willpower

Postby MM700 » August 18th, 2003, 5:13 am

Willpower.....How many miles did you put on one again....I forget?????
MM700

Postby Mainecat » August 18th, 2003, 5:35 am

MM lots of changing brands goin on at my dealer who sells Cat and Yamaha but the Blue crowd is switching to green. Marketshare is the proof. Yamaha's went down last year.... wonder why. Maybe a limited(really limited) lineup of 7 models, 5 are utility sledsMy wife is gonna love her T660 its a granny sled. As usual its always someone you met somewhere someplace MM. MM the RX has a great motor but thats it. It is heavy, rides like a plank, and handles like a frozen turd in corners. Yes I drove a RX last winter so I know. The Warrior will be worse in the corners just because its longer. Adding weight is not the answer either MM. As for the Firecat I love mine and maybe you should ride one or the Sabercat and give us "YOUR" report instead of the he said she said stuff. When you buyin a sled?
Mainecat

Postby maxiracer » August 18th, 2003, 5:42 am

While I don't ride the green sleds, this does sound a little bit like a fishing tale to me...kinda like the one that got away...
I'm sure the poor soul was suffering from the heat and a few too many cold ones to honestly be believable...of course, MM you got to remember anybody who would willingly buy a cat(or a yamaha) is a few cans short of a 6-pack anyway...:B
[b]Bevra Vintage Ice Oval Racing. Old School rules...[/b]
maxiracer

Postby NorthernSkunk » August 18th, 2003, 5:45 am

Next he will be tellin us the warrior is gonna win the Soo AND the Iron-Dog this winter HAHAHAHA...........:)
Na i'm done with you, your to much of an ass for me!

Your on a need to know basis and since you never come out here you don't need to know....
NorthernSkunk

Postby MM700 » August 18th, 2003, 5:47 am

Did you forget???...I did ride the the F-7....and more than once...I gave an honest review of it too....remember????....also...for the average trail rider, the weight of the Rx-1 is a non issue....So CAt guys come up with something other than the weight factor, unless you are boondocking or ditch banging(which is not what this sled is made for)...you can't feel it, in fact to me the SRX feels heavier....the only place you feel the weight is in deep snow...which it is not made for in the first place...and again the guy I talked to was/is an avid CAT guy..I have not ridden the warrior...only the RX_1..it was he who claimed the warrior handled and rode awsome...a cat guy !!!!...NOT ME!!!! So Mainecat you gonna tell me your fit and finish on your F-7 is better than your ZR 8 was?????
MM700

Postby MM700 » August 18th, 2003, 5:53 am

Hey Skunk...I'd becareful Lipping off about the Soo....I don't recall seeing any Cats in the top 10 last year.....but was that a Yamaha or two finishing ahead of the CATS.....and I wonder if they are even gonna run the Iron Dog this year....I guess we'll have to ask BN that question....but if they do...I'll be glad to watch any other 4 stroke challege the Rx-1....;)
MM700

Postby ChrisXCR » August 18th, 2003, 5:53 am

Funny I talked to alot of cat racers who don't like those 13.5 tracks either. They all say they don't turn. Off the top of my head I can think of 2 long time and very good RMR Pro former Cat riders that went to Polaris and a sport/jr that went to Doo for the up coming season. I'm sure there were plenty more.

Heck, even Tucker doesn't want to ride that junk anymore! :
:p

For sale:
'01 [red]Pro[/red][blue]X[/blue]600

[b]REV 440 #600[/b]
ChrisXCR

Postby Mainecat » August 18th, 2003, 6:03 am

Actually it was better than my ZR 800. In fact the shocks were perfect on the F7 and junk after a 1000 miles on the ZR8. MM maybe I am old school but when I take delivery of a new sled I go over it completely. That includes dropping the skid pullin the airbox, opening the chaincase and going over everything and checking every nut and bolt. I check the steering and make sure its alainged properly toe in toe out. It works because my Cats have run flawless over the last 10 years. I would do the same to any brand. As for the F&F of Yamaha I really dont care....why? Because they dont interest me at all. The only sled I liked was the SRX and its gone now. As for the Warrior handling better than the RX I think your way off. If it were true then a 2 up sled would handle corners better than a 1 up? Sorry wrong. The longer track may smooth out the bumps somewhat but the added weight does not help in the deep stuff. I don't know about your trails but where I ride they are smooth till noon and the 80 mile ride back is full of craters. You have to ride these rough trails. What would a RX rider do.... call for a pickup? Smooth trails are not guaranteed. My Firecat rides the smooth stuff as good as any trail cruiser but it really shines in the rough. A good combination of real world riding.
Mainecat

Next

Return to Trash Talkers