Subscribe Today

The Age: Displacement ratio?

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby Cat kid » October 13th, 2003, 1:24 pm

Since it's a hot topic lately, I'll throw this question out.

How big is too big? This varies with different age groups. Obviously, no matter how you slice it, a kid under 12 should not be riding a 700+ machine. By the same token, if your 18, it's you money, do as you wish (though many a**holes 18 and older don't belong on much more than a 500). But what about everything in between?

I think a responsible 14+ kid can handle a 600 (and not have it go to his head). There are many of my peers who should, if anything, be on a 440 fan. Anything bigger, and you are asking for trouble. I like the small bores (440LC's and 500's), they accelerate hard and top out at sain speeds. Some of my friends are just tugging at the leash to throw a leg over the biggest, fastest sled they can find.

For me, mom and dad's sled (Zl 500 EFI ESR)makes me feel spoiled (because mom and dad bought it). I would like to buy my own sled, with my own money, that I worked for. My uncle has talked me into the 600 because he thinks I'll out grow a 500 and the EFI runs so much better than the carb. In a few more months, we'll see what the parental units think of me snowchecking an F6.

I think it's a matter of trust between parent and child/teen, but just how much can you trust a kid?
[green]Long live the T-Train!!!!![/green]
[green]He is gone, but not forgotten[/green]

[red]Just think, somewhere out there, it's snowing right now!!!!![/red]

[blue] I may not be a member, but I am still a proud FFA[blue]
Cat kid

Postby The Borg » October 13th, 2003, 1:37 pm

My 8 year old son started on the MXZ 500, but he preferred the Machz. Now he rides a black RX1..shares it with my daughter. He is 11, and she's 14. They ride around the fields, on the snowcross track, the dragstrip, etc. Anything today is fast up to 60..and that's more than enough to get whacked on. They only ride with me..and I have strict rules of conduct for them, and they obey. So size doesn't matter in this case. Actually, they ride a little too slow, but they do know how to handle the sleds pretty well.
It's all in the thumb/brain wiring.
[COLOR=#0000ff]Welcome to.........The Real World. :p[/COLOR]
[img]http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2103/pc1600246vg.jpg height=200 width=280[/img]

[url=http://cavecountryriders.com]http://cavecountryriders.com[/url]
The Borg

Postby sledwrench » October 13th, 2003, 1:48 pm

Age? To bad they don't have a way of measuring maturity level. I've seen alot of "adults" driving [b]heavily medicated[/b], showing less maturity than many 12-14 year olds. Some pointy head in college will have to formulate a maturity index that can be used instead of age. Have a driving index or drinking index instead of age.

Displacement doesn't always show true power or performance either, but I understand what you're trying to say. Bottom line right now is if you're under 18, its not your choice, its your parents or guardians.

Not to pick on snowmobiles, but atv's, boats, autos and firearms should be included.
sledwrench

Postby yamadude6 » October 13th, 2003, 2:15 pm

My first sled was a srv 540, I was 19 and it was plenty fast. It got to a 100 (spedo) just took a while and It got me in trouble too.

A 600 today is alot different than a 600 15 years ago. And no I'm not trying to sound old, I'm only 33 but you have to keep a close eye on the little ones when riding.

Last season a good frieds 12 year old daughter was going up and down the long drive in Grayling, no problem, till she turned around the sled, she thought she grabbed the brake, it was the gas. Full speed about 30 feed right into her dads sled and shoved that into a tree.
She was ok, many tears, but the sleds were in bad shape. He and I watched it happen, good turned to bad real quick. They are 500 indy fans, not big power.

600 cc liquid for a 12-14 year old, no way. 100+ hp..no.
We have snow, now I need some time to ride
yamadude6

Postby Icehole » October 13th, 2003, 2:34 pm

Just pull plug wires accordin to age and # of cyls and any sled is good for any age.lol....And yep SWrench,if they're F'ed up pull em all.
Icehole

Postby Shockman » October 13th, 2003, 2:45 pm

First of all, it dosent matter what size sled you're ridin, it does matter what you can do with it. I agree that too many adult infants that have little to no common sense are littering our trails with wooden crosses.When I was a youngster, I relished the (damn few)opportunities I got to ride mom or dads sleds(moms sled was always last years race sled,dads was this years race sled).My dad always knew what would happen with a 12 year old, give him the sled that damn kid is gonna find out how fast it will go.He was right (as always).I respect the fact you want your own sled, and you want it on your own.My opinion , if you can afford it on your own,you can mantain it on your own, you're ready for your own.
Shockman

Postby Shockman » October 13th, 2003, 2:45 pm

First of all, it dosent matter what size sled you're ridin, it does matter what you can do with it. I agree that too many adult infants that have little to no common sense are littering our trails with wooden crosses.When I was a youngster, I relished the (damn few)opportunities I got to ride mom or dads sleds(moms sled was always last years race sled,dads was this years race sled).My dad always knew what would happen with a 12 year old, give him the sled that damn kid is gonna find out how fast it will go.He was right (as always).I respect the fact you want your own sled, and you want it on your own.My opinion , if you can afford it on your own,you can mantain it on your own, you're ready for your own.
Shockman

Postby Shockman » October 13th, 2003, 2:47 pm

Sorry DBL post shame on me:o
Shockman

Postby Cat kid » October 13th, 2003, 3:03 pm

Yeah, firearms, atv's, bikes, jetski's, and anything else motorized for that matter is all included here.

I bought my own 30-06 when I was 12, and a 12ga the next year. My parents allowed it because I proved myself worthy of the responsibility.

It's a shame that crazy kids cast a bad image on all of these sports. There is no reason that I should have to be careful about sharing that I like to hunt and shoot at school, but I am because it just doesn't sit with some people. There is no reason I shouldn't be able to ride a rental snwomobile just beacuse jack a**'s my age screwed it up

One of my cousin's friends is a "knows no boundries" kid. His parents buy him all the motor toys he wants. He rides his dad's ZR 600, recked his XR 100 dirt bike so they bought him a 200, and had a Cat 500 four wheeler. Well he traded the Four wheeler for a new Honda Recon. This summer he was fling down the dirt roads with his month old Honda, and took it upon himself to be an ass and go rip up a farmers field. Weeelll, when he turned off the road and into the ditch at (he says) 60, he didn't see the culvert and yard-saled all over the field. The quad caught fire, ignighted a good portion of the dry barly and he spent a month or two in the hospital.

A friend of mine owns a Cat dealer. They suppied the sleds for a driver test for a sled safty course. There wasn't any snow, so they even had them rigged up with wheels. Well this one girl (sorry, nothing against sled chicks) gets on the ZR 600 for her test. Instead of squeezing the throttle, she grabs the break. My friend chokes back the laugh and says "Um, try the that lever over ther ;)" She clamps on to it and BRRRAAAAAAAAP......Boom, right into the DNR guys pick-up.

These two examples are kids that should not be riding sleds. I just get frustrated when kids my age (and younger) talk about getting a 7, 8, or 900, even as a joke. I can't help but think of the times when my parents are on the phone with rental places, and they hang up and say "sorry, your not old enough:(" These kids are the ones who shoot the rest of us in the foot.

Yeah, I own 7 sledneck type videos (they are the only thing that get me through summer and crappy winters), and yeah I have crazy ideas, BUT, I have my head on straight enough to say "naah..too far" before things get out of hand.

Alright, enough rambling and unloading of frustration for a while. 440F's for all you morons (if you don't know who you are, just stick to one anyway), and 600 max for all of you who, like me, stay in school and study hard. That's my goody, goody, two shoes take on it.
[green]Long live the T-Train!!!!![/green]
[green]He is gone, but not forgotten[/green]

[red]Just think, somewhere out there, it's snowing right now!!!!![/red]

[blue] I may not be a member, but I am still a proud FFA[blue]
Cat kid

Postby 02600XCSP » October 13th, 2003, 4:14 pm

Depends a lot more on experience than age. I started riding when I was 16 on a 440. I'm not an idiot, but the 440 was plenty to get started out on. Probably would have killed myself on a 6 or 700. Kids that have been riding since they were tiny can handle a bigger sled by the time they're 14 or so. Some can do it pretty dam well! Experience is a lot more important than age in my opinion.
LET IT SNOW!!!
02600XCSP

Next

Return to Trash Talkers