Subscribe Today

The Age: Displacement ratio?

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby Freeridejunkie » October 14th, 2003, 3:59 am

Since it's a hot topic lately, I'll throw this question out.

How big is too big?

Never heard the term "too big."
Freeridejunkie

Postby valin » October 14th, 2003, 8:03 am

freeridejunkie, you're right... i remember when my father bought that 1985 safari 377... it was just before i turned 12... darn, it was fast... and all the good times i had with that. at the time it was just fast enough so i can lear how to handle a sled.

that applies for everything... look at all those kids who get a brend new mustang for their 16th birth day... most of them end up in a wall somewhere. thanks god my first car was a nissan micra... in fact it wasn't god's idea... it was my father's idea... and a really good one. :-)

-Carl
-----------------------------
2004, 800 RMK 159"
:-)
valin

Postby maxiracer » October 14th, 2003, 8:37 am

I've said for a long time that anything over 600cc's was a waste...
Only a few riders have the skills to ride a 120+ hp sled near it's potential, and even fewer can push it to it's limit. I can safely assure you guys, I'm not one of those few.....
As for younger riders on big sleds, my oldest is 8 going on 9, I bought him a 250 elan 2 seasons ago, he still scares me when he rides, he has very good skills, but no experience with things that come up on the trail. That only comes with seat time. All I can say is you younger riders, be patient, your time will come, learn the ropes,learn to deal with different situations at 50 mph instead of 95 mph. This would good advice for some older newbie riders also...
[b]Bevra Vintage Ice Oval Racing. Old School rules...[/b]
maxiracer

Postby WARRIOR » October 14th, 2003, 9:34 am

my son began riding a real sled at age 6. it was a 440z. nice sled for him. responsibility is the key. he screws up, he wont ride. he is 8 now and in the middle of the week i sneak him out to the trails near our house. he does fine. i think everyone should have to start small displacement and low horsepower. it gives you time to learn to ride. we have flatlanders come up north to ride their 800-1000 sleds. they only get to ride them 5-8 times a year and need to go like a bat out of hell. needless to say those are the ones that the paramedics have to peel off the trees.
WARRIOR

Postby Freeridejunkie » October 14th, 2003, 10:02 am

;)
Freeridejunkie

Previous

Return to Trash Talkers