Subscribe Today

Uh-oh GM truck guy's, your trucks might be worthless........

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby zrcat » November 22nd, 2003, 7:04 am

GM Truck Owners Sue Over Engine Noise
Associated Press - November 17, 2003

Motor Trend
A Florida couple and a Michigan man have filed a lawsuit against General Motors Corp., claiming their trucks had such noisy engines that they were useless.

Kim and Daniel Powell of Castleberry, Fla., and John Lott of Brownstown Township, Mich., filed the suit Friday in U.S. District Court in Detroit, their lawyers said.

Attorney Ann K. Mandt of Charfoos & Christensen said the plaintiffs have asked the court to certify the case as a class action.

GM spokesman Brian Akre said the company had not seen the lawsuit and had no immediate comment.

In a statement, Charfoos & Christensen said GM has sold more than 800,000 vehicles since 1999 with defective engines that produce excessive exhaust emissions and "knock" so loudly that the owners "are unable to effectively use their vehicles and can certainly not sell or trade them for fair value."

J. Douglas Peters of Charfoos & Christensen said he's aware of at least two instances in which GM has bought back a truck from an owner because of the engine noise.

GM has acknowledged the problem, which it said surfaced when it moved to a new family of engines. But the automaker said it does not affect engine performance and that it was corrected in later-model vehicles.

According to dealer service bulletins obtained by the Detroit Free Press for a story Friday, vehicles with the engine knock problem include 1999 through 2002 Chevy and GMC pickups and sport-utility models with 4.8-, 5.3- and 6.0-liter V8 engines.

The bulletins say the noises are not detrimental to the vehicles.

"I paid almost $35,000 for this truck. The truck is almost worthless," said Greg MacNeil, who bought a 2001 Chevrolet Silverado two years ago. "In good conscience, I couldn't sell this truck to someone else."

GM officials say carbon and the amount of clearance between the piston and the cylinder wall are the primary causes of the knocking engines.

GM spokesman Tom Read said the automaker has addressed the issue by making design changes to the piston in some 2002 vehicles and all 2003 vehicles with the noise. GM has cut the amount of space between the piston and the cylinder so the amount of rocking is reduced.

Copyright 2003 Associated Press.
zrcat

Postby SUPERDUTY-MXZ8 » November 22nd, 2003, 7:06 am

Hey zrcat, everyone already knows that Genaric Motors Products are ALL worthless!!!!!!!!!
SUPERDUTY-MXZ8

Postby Ropepuller » November 22nd, 2003, 7:25 am

A better example of worthless would be the 03 Ford 1-ton Powerstroke at work. 10,000 miles and the motor puked. Fords fighting the replacement claiming we had water in the fuel. Funny thing is we have a fleet of about another 20 trucks who fuel from the same tanks and all were checked with no evidence of water.

Oh ya and we have another 03 Ford (3/4 ton) gasser thats on its 3rd computer. It runs fine for about 2 months then blink......deader then sh!t. Tow it in, replace the computer, then repeat.
[b]When in doubt.....whip it out[/b]
Ropepuller

Postby psycho sledder » November 22nd, 2003, 7:29 am

I work on fords and the f150 5.4 engine also knocks
psycho sledder

Postby *S*R*X* » November 22nd, 2003, 7:37 am

Don't get too cocky SD-MXZ8........ford had some piston slap issues on the 5.4 also......one guy I work with has a F-150 with the 5.4 that sounds like a diesel............Dodge had the pinging problems.......I still get a slight ping when towing once in a while. They all have their problems but G.M. is definately the worst.
*S*R*X*

Postby Icehole » November 22nd, 2003, 7:43 am

1. Reuters reported that Ford Motor Co. has been hit with numerous class action lawsuits that aim to reverse the company's refusal to replace faulty ignition switches that could cause fires and their refusal to tell their U.S. customers about the problem.

2. -- Ford Motor Co., while publicly claiming its best-selling sport-utility vehicle is not to blame, is paying out huge settlements to people injured or killed in accidents involving the Ford Explorer.
Plaintiffs' lawyers say Ford has been unusually aggressive in settling the cases and has been willing to pay millions of dollars to avoid trials

3. DETROIT -- A $25-million lawsuit seeking class-action status has been filed against Henry Ford Health System alleging that the region's second largest hospital company engaged in racial discrimination in the hiring, promotion and compensation of managers.
The suit, filed in December, is similar to another filed in July on behalf of non-supervisory personnel.

4. Ford Motor Co. has offered the families of each worker killed or injured in the February 1 explosion at its Rouge complex power plant in Dearborn, Michigan, a financial settlement in return for dropping any future legal actions against Ford. The offer comes as evidence continues to mount about the unsafe conditions maintained by the world's second largest automaker at the 78-year-old facility where the massive boiler explosion took place.

5. A California couple seriously injured when their 1994 Ford Explorer rolled over in the California desert have settled their lawsuit for a total of $14.9 million. The personal injury settlement by Agop and Catherine Gozukara came four days after a jury in the desert town of Barstow reached a verdict that their Explorer was defective by design

6. ALBUQUERQUE (AP) - Ford Motor Co. has settled five lawsuits over alleged traffic deaths or injuries blamed on defective Ford vehicles.

7. Subject: Built Ford Tough? MY ASS!!
Date: 5/29/2003

I recently purchased a 2003 F-150 FX4 Off Road. I should have
never done it. After only driving 4.4 miles from the dealership
the transmission oil cooler line fell off. So my brand new truck
sat at the dealership Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and I
finally picked it up on Tuesday. I was assured everything was
fine. A week later I returned the truck to service because it
was slipping and making a knocking noise. The mechanics test
drove it after it sat for another day and said, "We feel the
problem is fixed, and everything should be fine." I drove it
again for one week then brought it back in with the same
problem. I ordered the service manager to replace the trans and
they did so after 10 days. OK, I can finally get on with my
life; or so I thought. I brought the truck back because of
knocking, vibrating, and what seemed like a miss-fire. They told
me it needed a new EGR valve so they replaced it. I took the
truck back 3 weeks later for the same problem with the added
bonus of stalling for no reason. They test drove it and couldn't
find the trouble shooting guide for those problems. The service
tech. contacted Ford directly and Ford said that the slight
knocking noise, and intermittent varying vibration were normal
for a 5.4L engine. I believe the word for that is BULL****!!
They couldn't figure out why the truck was stalling and knocking
and vibrating and so on. So they told me to drive it for a while
and see if the problem would go away. NOT!!! I brought it back
in and they installed a vehicle data recorder, I am still
waiting for the results of that data to this day. I am going to
take the truck back for the 4th and final time and I have
already contacted an attorney. Also, the black paint has problems
like shinny blue spots all over it. In conclusion I have my own
business so I have roughly lost $4,000.00+ in income, had 7
rental cars which they made me pay for
the tax and insurance, and countless hours are now gone from my
life because of a total lemon. One more little thing, I leased a
2000 F-150 4x4 off road for 24 months, wasn't sure if I wanted to
buy it cause it never had a problem and ran smoother than a
Cadillac, so I extended the lease 3 months. You see, Ford
lease-end dept. never relayed all the info to Ford credit, so the
lease-end dept. didn't know what to do with the three payments I
made and Ford credit never received the three payments and thus
my credit was destroyed because of a miscommunication. I have
currently won with that but it is going to take the credit
bureaus 2 months to fix. FORD HAS DESTROYED MY LIFE!, to an
extent single handedly.

Sincerely,
Michael W
One severely pissed off and soon to be ex-Ford owner

LOL....and zr thinks a couple of GM trucks havin an engine sound is bad.
Icehole

Postby SUPERDUTY-MXZ8 » November 22nd, 2003, 7:48 am

Ask ShelbyBoy48317 how he felt when his '99 2500 6.0l CHEBBY had to have the [b][u]ENGINE REPLACED with only 153 MILES on it[/u][/b] because the crankshaft let loose. Sounds like A.C. like Q.C. to me!
I've had 3 5.4l Fords in the last 4 years, and they all have knocked until they warm up. I've yet to have a problem!

P.S. Thanks a lot zrcat, I thought we put the whole Ford v.s. GM issue to rest for a while! I've got some more fuel to add to the fire if things get out of control! You know how I love those Cobra's & 'Stangs. There's a nice '00 blown GT in this months Hot Rod that ran 8.99@155 mph and became the fastest Tremec-five-speed car.
SUPERDUTY-MXZ8

Postby SUPERDUTY-MXZ8 » November 22nd, 2003, 8:10 am

Sorry to hear that IceHole, me being a Ford employee and all I apolagize to you for your bad luck! I had a GM PRODUCT ONCE.....ONCE!
I don't understand why it cost you money out of your pocket for a rental car. The 3/36 factory warranty should cover you loaner car with no cash from you! You have to be firm with the dealers and Customer Service! I myself am working on an issue with Ford as well!
To make a very long story short, My wifes Taurus had a ratteling noise in the rear of the car that started at about 34,000.The front tie rods we're bad. A little while later the same noise came back. The dealer said it was o.k. and that they found nothing wrong except for the spare tire hold down was loose. Fine right. WRONG now with a little over 36000 on it and another trip back to the dealer they tell me that the muffler has something loose inside and it needs to be replaced. Only one problem, now I'm over the factory 36,000 mile warranty and the extended warranty(which I paid for when we bought the car) has a $50 deductable. I told them and Ford customer Service to BLOW ME! I'll get my $50 back! I'm working on it right now with our dealer pannel rep at work. I know it's only $50, but the whole point is it's B.S. I even told the BIT@H at Ford if this is the way you treat employee's, no wonder Ford is doing so bad right now! I can't imagine how you must feel IceHole! I know I'm PISSED OFF @ FORD.
SUPERDUTY-MXZ8

Postby Icehole » November 22nd, 2003, 8:16 am

"I've had 3 5.4l Fords in the last 4 years, and they all have knocked until they warm up. I've yet to have a problem!"

None of em were worth keepin over a yr?

Accordin to the two twats zr's post describes yer cold motor knock is worth sueing over.
Icehole

Postby Icehole » November 22nd, 2003, 8:22 am

Was'nt me SuperDuty....just posted a couple ford lawsuits and a letter describing Ford engine noise to offset zr's really dumb one.....LOL, not intending that you would fess up to fords cold knocking as well
Icehole

Next

Return to Trash Talkers