Subscribe Today

When is it too COLD???

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

When is it too COLD???

Postby Slednut » January 3rd, 2004, 4:29 pm

Out riding to day with a group of bud's. Temp here was -28 degrees Centegrade, before the wind chill factored in.( that's around -20 Farenheight for our US friends) Weren't cold at all, after the first few miles you had enough heat built up in the suit to keep you going all day.
I read a lot of posts on here about guys riding from 25 - 40 degrees farneheight, to me that seems way too warm! Hell, the snows melting at those temps! Coldest I've ever gone out for a day was last year on a beautiful sunday with 3 friends at -38 C ( also -38 F ) No wind and it was a beautiful ride, as long as you dress for it properly.
What do you guys think??
Some call it Custom,[blue] Others call it Modified,[blue][red] Most call it insane![red][green] I call it FUN!!![green][yellow]
Stock, Why stop there?[yellow]
Slednut

When is it too COLD???

Postby KneeDeepInSnow » January 3rd, 2004, 4:43 pm

when you can't start your sled!!!!

can't actually say for sure.....i think the coldest i've ridden in was -20c
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/KDX250/SDbrbr.jpg[/IMG]
[b][i][blue]DAYS GET SHORTER, SNOW GETS DEEPER, LIFE GETS BETTER[/blue][/i][/b]
KneeDeepInSnow

When is it too COLD???

Postby snofisher » January 3rd, 2004, 4:49 pm

In the mid to late 80's we rode many times when the high was 0 to (f)minus 10 out with -30 wind chills. had sleds with out e-start, we used to take a paint stripper heat gun and point in on the bottom of the motor to warm it up to be able to pull it over.
snofisher

When is it too COLD???

Postby 80ss440 » January 3rd, 2004, 4:56 pm

brr..just thinking about -38 deg. celcius gives me the chills
'97 Yamaha Vmax SX 700 triple
-geared
-clutched
-adjustable transfer rods
-long traveled
-C&A's
-Bar risers
80ss440

When is it too COLD???

Postby topjimmi » January 3rd, 2004, 5:16 pm

When your riding on the lake and you turn around cause its too cold to have fun. and all of a sudden at 60 mph it feels like your riding in a troppical breeze, thats when its too damn cold!! and if you dont belive me ask MX-Zaholic.
fly you might. crash you will
Hey Is That a GT-500 in Your Van?
Why Yes It Is.
topjimmi

When is it too COLD???

Postby 89Indy500_sp » January 3rd, 2004, 6:13 pm

iv gone out when its been like -4 w/o windchill... it has not been that cold the past few winters and i did not start to sled regurally till 1998...
My 2003 REV 800 Sport... my baby
[img]http://www.dootalk.net/gallery/albums/album762/snonews.thumb.jpg[/img]
700 miles this season!
89Indy500_sp

When is it too COLD???

Postby NorthernSkunk » January 3rd, 2004, 7:22 pm

It must be -35 celcius right now up here...I just walked a block from a local lounge...like f/k I am gonna go ridin in those temps tomorrow(I might do a garage visit run though:)).... Sorry but I am too old for that extreme cold ridin ****...it just costs me money when the sled shatters.

..If certain people wanted to race me in a x-country though.....I would get dressed for it.(hey lurkers..ya read that ya wusses) lol
Na i'm done with you, your to much of an ass for me!

Your on a need to know basis and since you never come out here you don't need to know....
NorthernSkunk

When is it too COLD???

Postby M-10 » January 4th, 2004, 12:19 am

Aint no reason to go out in anything below the negitive side of zero. I have been riding so many years that I dont need to go out when its that friken cold. You get wiser with age.
You wanna be dumb? Then buy a CAT!
You wanna be smart? Then buy a Doo!
M-10

When is it too COLD???

Postby jefff1 » January 4th, 2004, 12:56 am

I can't remember riding in below zero weather as it doesn't get that cold in WNY..most of our riding temps are from +15-35F...maybe it will though on our ride next week on Tug Hill...Northern NY is whole different ball game for temps and weather...
Tom Kat
jefff1

When is it too COLD???

Postby HESLBAY » January 4th, 2004, 1:07 am

i remember one year in the middle 80's we were riding in munising & it was freaking cold. we had made breakfast reservations at the buckhorn, it was there first year serving breakfast. they called the best western hotel & rang our rooms & said are you still comming for breakfast, we said yes. we went out to start the sleds the pull cords stuck out & had to play with them to get them in took some time to get them all running. when we got there we asked why did you call, he said its -30 with out the wind,& it sure felt like it. the next year we installed out first hand warmers.
hessel bay is where i play
HESLBAY

Next

Return to Trash Talkers