Subscribe Today

Polaris Posts 22% Decline in sled sales

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby Mainecat » January 30th, 2004, 6:59 am

ATV, motorcycle sales give Polaris boost
Dee Depass, Star Tribune

Published January 30, 2004 POLA30

Polaris Industries rode strong international, ATV and motorcycle sales to a 9 percent leap in fourth-quarter net income to $38 million, or a $1.68 a share.

The results, which were 3 cents better than expected, came despite a rise in marketing and research expenses for the Medina-based firm.

The company predicted continued strong growth through 2004.

"I am very encouraged regarding the growth prospects for Polaris in 2004, which will mark the company's 50th year," said CEO Tom Tiller.

He said the year should bring new products, margin improvements and a rise in profits from Polaris' fast-growing consumer finance business. Last week the company announced a 2-for-1 stock split and a 48 percent dividend increase. The company's stock rose $2.10 on Thursday to close at $83.50.

Craig Hallum Capital analyst Bob Evans said Polaris came in ahead of expectations for both revenue and earnings, and he was confident about 2004.

"They expect 5 to 8 percent overall revenue growth and 8 to 13 percent earnings growth," Evans said. "They said every business line, including snowmobiles, would grow. That maybe was a surprise to investors."

For all of 2003, revenue rose 6 percent to $1.6 billion. Sales of all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), the company's largest product line, grew 2 percent during the quarter to $276 million and 11 percent for the year to finish at $1.04 billion.

The lack of snow hurt snowmobile sales for the year, with the company reporting a 22 percent sales decline.

Sales of Victory motorcycles, Polaris' newest product line, spiked 113 percent during the quarter to $20 million and 70 percent for the year to $57 million. Polaris' new Vegas bike was named best cruiser of the year by four leading motorcycle magazines. The fanfare helped motorcycles displace personal watercraft as the company's fourth-largest division.

"They have started to establish their brand and reputation with the Vegas and should establish momentum with its new Kingpin cruiser," Evans said.
Mainecat

Postby zrcat » January 30th, 2004, 7:10 am

LMFAO, Nobody lost market share.....Impressive with the Victory sales though. That'll slow down once all the Poo sheep buy a Victory. That's usually the way for Poo. They started with sleds, hooked thier base of sheep, sold them watercraft, then sold them ATV's now Sell's them motorcycles. What next can you poo sheep stand!!! lol, BBBBbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-ba.
zrcat

Postby snirt » January 30th, 2004, 7:19 am

isn't it exactly the same for AC? started with sleds, then the tigershark, then atvs? what's the difference zr? same goes for bombi and yami too, except yami's been making atv's for a long time, and bombi's been making pwcs a long time. besides, didn't cat give up on tigershark?

it's a pretty big stretch to hear you calling ANYONE a sheep, zr. you redefined the term.
snirt

Postby Icehole » January 30th, 2004, 7:33 am

"What next can you poo sheep stand!!! lol, BBBBbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-ba."

Well zr they're puttin out some nice construction equip thats selling at a brisk pace....the 22% decline may have alot to do with low snow ,but I'm seein it has Pol buyers waitin for the 05 Catkillers...were lookin forward it..kickin Cat's a ss with our "outdated" Pols is fun, but gettin boring
Icehole

Postby 96XCR600 » January 30th, 2004, 7:49 am

Icehole, We are already kickin cats arses now with our outdated sleds, Can't wait till Polaris releases the new sleds in two weeks and then we get to watch the lack of competition scramble to find a way to try and catch up. They havn't done a great job of matching quality and durability yet, so the future doesn't look good for Polaris's competition.

ZRCAT, Sheep eat grass, grass is green, Arctic cat sleds are green, so are their riders, green with envy, see a pattern here ?
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/XC800SP/4%20Wheelin/Tenneseetrip-1.jpg[/IMG]
Quads...
2005 Polaris Phoenix (kid #1)
2004 Sportsman 700 MOBU (mine)
2004 Yamaha Blaster (wifey)
2003 Sportsman 90 (kid #2)
1989 Yamaha Big Bear 350 (spare)
96XCR600

Postby Loudhandle » January 30th, 2004, 9:53 am

Who wants to by mid 90's technogly anyways. Get hip with the times and buy a firecat or REV!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keepin the flipper wicked since 1978
Loudhandle

Postby CatHater » January 30th, 2004, 11:33 am

It just amazes me how you kitty pukers love to blast Polaris. So Polaris has lost some snowmobile sales SO WHAT , from what I have seen on the trails through the years they are STILL more reliable than your green puke machines ever could be and in my book the less you have to wrench the better off you are. Polaris will always around for you cat pukers to diss so get used to it
CatHater

Postby FoxGirl336 » January 30th, 2004, 11:43 am

i've had both cats and polaris's, and they both work well, and i've never had major problems with either but the new sled i got is a cat because none of the polaris's i wanted came with electric start and reverse.
FoxGirl336

Postby kenlacy » January 30th, 2004, 11:50 am

Old tech - funny - still took 3 of the top 4 spots in Hillcross - where power and weight make all the difference in the world (yes I know those sleds are modified - you might get away with that excuse for the power, but weight - the Cats and Doos were suppose to be so much lighter!)

As for tracks with turns - I have to give the edge to Doo and AC cause of their layouts (a-arms might make a difference - might not, but Pol will have em anyways) - the more forward layout definitely is advantage to the racer. I do hope that Pol doesn't do that******to all their sleds for the trail.
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Postby Loudhandle » January 30th, 2004, 12:06 pm

Kenlacy hill-cross big frickin deal. If Burdandt wasn't trigger happy he'd a won. Our green puke sleds seem to stomp all u cat-haters year after year in the real world setting ditches, lakes, trails, putting up da highmark. When are u non cat clowns gonna get it.
Keepin the flipper wicked since 1978
Loudhandle

Next

Return to Trash Talkers