Subscribe Today

Looking For Opinions On ATV's

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby M10rules » March 24th, 2004, 5:50 am

Spoken like a true salesman Drift :B Sorry, had to throw that in there.

Whacker, the Cat 650 and the Kawi 650 are the same motor, the only differences are in the chassis itself. It comes down to whether you want solid axle or not. Polaris is a good machine, but takes more preventatice maintance (LOTS of grease fittings). Stay away from Cats 400s, lots of gear lash in the transmission. Not to familiar with the Yamahas, Hondas, and Suzukis. My personal choice would be the Cat 650, lots of power, lots of Kawi tech on it, very good handling quad.

With what Drift said, wieght is not always bad, ask farmers. More weight can mean better traction. The brakes on the Cat are mounted so they are inside the rims, very hard to damage them without breaking the rim also. Diff lock on the 650. Most Cats will have their belts last 5+ years. Griz and Cat have very similiar suspension. When you turn Cat and Kawi's 4wd on, its on! But you also have the choice to run 2wd when needed.

They're all good, they all have good and bad points, just comes down to which ever one you like the feel of the best.
"Instruction manuals are nothing more than another man's opinion."
"Why would I lie to you, we're not married?"
M10rules

Postby mikeman151 » March 24th, 2004, 6:33 am

my dad has the 650 V-twin Cat and i wouldnt go anyother way. it has SWEET power and all kinds of other goodies and you can get just about any accesory for it.
[green]1991 Arctic Cat 530 EXT[/green]

[blue]RX-1-Rage-Vector(one of those is soon to come and im thinkin the Rage)[/blue]

"They call me Tatar Salad"-Ron White
mikeman151

Postby drifter7 » March 24th, 2004, 7:26 am

M10, just remember, you can easily and inexpensively add weight, but when you want it lighter, It's costly and almost impossible. Throw on a sand bag or two and you have your weight, what are you gonna take off the others to lighten them that much, the motor? :B

Oh yeah, and the salesman thing, those are just the facts, I haven't even started to sell it yet!
drifter7

Postby funkadelic101 » March 24th, 2004, 7:59 am

Drifter..... I basically recommended the 660 Grizzly also. And honestly, to sell one of these machines is as easy as telling Whacker to go ride one. Nuff said. I don't know half the technical stuff on the new quads as most people here do, but I can say when I plop down on a Grizzly 660, it just works well.

I have the Raptor, the power is undeniable, and there have been instances on actual trail riding, where I preferred to scoot around on the Griz vs my Raptor, it's very smooth, and can actually be driven, not merely ridden on, like the "wooden wagon" the Rubicon.
Liberty without Virtue is Slavery to Vice
funkadelic101

Postby M10rules » March 24th, 2004, 8:01 am

Well drift, lets argue this 2 ways...

First, if you are using a quad for anything other then sport you probably have gear on the racks...so to add sandbags to get more weight you would have to hang 1 from each corner to keep the balance. I for one am not to keen on hanging anything off the side of a Utility Quad. To easy to snag it one something.

Second, the Cat 650 Auto LE is 644 pounds and the Grizzly 660 is 600 pounds. What makes up that difference...stronger front and rear bumpers, reciever hitch, winch, larger tires, and extra cylinder for smoother running machine (you Yammie guys always complain about the shakin of the Cats). My question is why would you take a 600 pound machine over a 644 pound machine? Unless you Mr Universe, you're not going to pick it up outta the mud. 44 pounds won't make a difference going lighter, but will make a big difference when you need the wieght for traction.
M10rules

Postby M10rules » March 24th, 2004, 8:13 am

Just to add to this conversation, lets look at the #s...

.............................Cat......Yamaha
Ground Clerance.....13".......11.8"
F. Travel................10".......7.1"
R. Travel................10".......9.5"
Wheelbase..............58".......50.2"
Fuel Capacity..........6.5g......5.3g
F. Rack Capacity....100lbs....99lbs
R. Rack Capacity....200lbs....187lbs
M10rules

Postby NorthernSkunk » March 24th, 2004, 8:58 am

So weight matters when selling yammie quads....but not when selling yammie sleds?
Na i'm done with you, your to much of an ass for me!

Your on a need to know basis and since you never come out here you don't need to know....
NorthernSkunk

Postby proXpilot » March 24th, 2004, 9:09 am

honda TRX 450R! or sportsman 700 twin efi
[url=http://www.syracuse.com/oneidalakecam/index.ssf/video]onieda lake live cam![/url]
[green]TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER!!![/green]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/proxpilot/bobblehd218x218.gif[/IMG]
proXpilot

Postby Catterman » March 24th, 2004, 9:29 am

I ride ATV's more then sleds. The grizzly is a great machine, but the 650 Cat can do everything and do it better. M10rules put up the numbers, also, there is no way a grizzly is going to be faster then that 650. For that ATV, Cat uses the Kawasaki engine from the Prairie. It has more power then even the Polaris 700's. Old school people will tell you that HOnda's are the only way to go, we in the 80's they were the most reliable, but lots have changed since then. I am sure even the new Polaris's are just as good. One comment on them though, they claim to have "true 4wd", this is false, it is a true AWD however. When you are doing down a hill, the front tires won't give you ANY engine braking and it can cause your ATV to wipe out. When you are in 4x4, the front tires won't engage until the rear ones are slipping up to 20%. IF you are looking for a good ATV sight, go to www.atvconnection.com they have lots of great info and a great forum too.
1990 Arctic Cat Cougar
1990 Arctic Cat Prowler
1998 Arctic Cat Powder Special 600 EFI
2004 Arctic Cat 400 4x4
The best wife in the world!!!
Catterman

Postby bigj » March 24th, 2004, 9:54 am

I've had Polaris and Arctic Cat, and polaris was by far the better machine. And now with efi, Polaris is by far your best choice.
bigj

PreviousNext

Return to Trash Talkers