Subscribe Today

OT: they say opinions are like bungholes, and there are plenty of bungholes in here...

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

OT: they say opinions are like bungholes, and there are plenty of bungholes in here...

Postby snirt » May 24th, 2004, 6:39 am

J/K
ok, here's the deal. some guy ran over my mailbox, and parked his truck on my neighbor's shrubs, up against her house. he took off, left his truck running. the boys picked him up walking home, and he blew a .23bac. now to me, it's no big deal. slap in a new mailbox, repair the sod and move on. it took me a day to do all of that, and it cost me $85. i planned on trying to file a claim with his insurance to recover my $85. upon getting the police report, it appears he doesn't have insurance on his '99 F150 4x4 extended cab.

now it's not a big deal... these things happen. the kid is only 22, and we've all done dumb things in our lives (myself more than most) the $85 is not going to break me, but as a matter of principal i don't think i should have to pay for it.

my choices at this point are leave messages on his phone (he never answers it) and try to get it out of him, or take him to small claims court.

so my question for you guys is: if he won't return my calls, should i take him to small claims? or is it more trouble than it's worth? don't tell me to go run his mailbox over, or whack his cat, it's not worth it to me. i'm not going to retailiate by damaging his property. (i do reserve the right to write "DUI" on his lawn with round-up though)

i figure if he is 22, driving a newish truck (in his dad's name) with no insurance, he has probably been popped before. since he doesn't answer his phone, he is probably screening his calls, probably a dead-beat. i think my chances of getting my $ out of him are slim. but the more i try, the more i'm going to want my lettuce, and it could become more than it is. (if that makes any sense)
snirt

Postby PickleChick » May 24th, 2004, 7:11 am

If the truck is in Dads name, then dad should be carrying the insurance. In the majority of the country, the titleholder needs to be the named insured. Go to him, tell him your situation and as a matter of principle, you want the bill paid. It may be all you need to do. BUT, do it now, cuz when the bills start rolling in for the DWI, they may not have any left to pay you.
Small claims court is not worth your trouble for 85 bones. If Daddy dont pay, eat it and move along. ;)
[img]http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/g14.gif[/img]
[green]Cat Pride[/green]
PickleChick

Postby catdaddy » May 24th, 2004, 8:04 am

Punch him in the head for being such a dumbass!
catdaddy

Postby PA500XCSP » May 24th, 2004, 8:04 am

Pickle is correct. The OWNER of the vehicle is responsible.
PA500XCSP

Postby ArcticEd » May 24th, 2004, 8:08 am

Yeah, like CD said......and even if he DOES pay you, I'd punch him in the head just on general principals........ I'm getting vindictive in my old age I guess.
[img][url=http://s2.photobucket.com/user/ArcticEd/media/Bunny.jpg.html]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/ArcticEd/Bunny.jpg[/img]

Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the embarrassing by-product of horsepower.

F/O FUR
ArcticEd

Postby snirt » May 24th, 2004, 8:18 am

ok, so far i have two go-after-the-owners, and two punch-him-in-the-heads.
snirt

Postby ArcticEd » May 24th, 2004, 8:22 am

OK, I'll say punch him in the head again just to break the tie, and to make sure that it gets done.
[img][url=http://s2.photobucket.com/user/ArcticEd/media/Bunny.jpg.html]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/ArcticEd/Bunny.jpg[/img]

Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the embarrassing by-product of horsepower.

F/O FUR
ArcticEd

Postby Mainecat » May 24th, 2004, 8:23 am

I would have taken the battery, a few tires and whatever cd's he had in the truck.
Mainecat

Postby RATMOTOR » May 24th, 2004, 8:24 am

I hit a bunghole once...went over the handlebars and in. I didn't smell like 2-stroke for a while.
Oil would be cheaper if the greenies stopped using it.
RATMOTOR

Postby ROTAX POWER » May 24th, 2004, 8:44 am

Throw your old smashed up mail box on his fathers lawn, with a self addressed envelope, and a note attached....The note should read, "your son owes me 85 bucks."
[img]http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421506118/0.jpg[/img]
ROTAX POWER

Next

Return to Trash Talkers