Subscribe Today

OT: GM 6.5L Turbo Diesel: Good or Bad.....

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby Pantera » January 12th, 2005, 6:33 am

blizzardman,
Thanks for all the info. As I replied earlier I would need to go with the 3/4 ton so the Excursion would be an option and I like International so that would be a good fit. But like I said, we hate cell phones, the service in particular, so the On-Star is a great feature.

Is the probability of the piston skirts cracking on the '98-'99's that likely?? Or is this more so if the truck is used for pulling and severe duty all the time vs. part time? We rebuild our own engines/trans/rear's so if it happens my repair bill would be much less than the general public but still a PITA to deal with.

I will also try to check out those site to listed.
Thanks, Pantera
Snowmobile the America that others pass by....
Pantera

Postby Pantera » January 12th, 2005, 6:38 am

thundercummins,
So the 6.0L is the newer IH/Navistar International engine? I admit even though I am an IH nut I don't keep up to date with the new stuff. I live in the Scout/Travelall/Traveler world. So, I have heard over the years that there were lots of problems with the 7.3L engines, can you give some insight as to what years are good and which are to be avoided in case we find an Excursion we like??

What years were the 7.3L engine used in the Excursion and were they Turbo in those years or not??

Pantera
Pantera

Postby Pantera » January 12th, 2005, 6:39 am

snake321,
Yes I have heard all sorts of stories about those engines.....
Pantera
Pantera

Postby Pantera » January 12th, 2005, 6:40 am

MacDonald,
Thanks for sharing that story, but you probably sold a lot that didn't have big problems, right.....

Pantera
Pantera

Postby snake321 » January 12th, 2005, 6:46 am

[quote]snake321,
Pantera[/quote]

water jacket holes,cracked blocks,endless glow plug and injector pump failures.Guys are running them chock full of block seal. I guess after you work on something sooo long, you can't quit..
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/883775/smallsnake.gif[/img]
snake321

Postby blizzardman » January 12th, 2005, 6:55 am

it's not the piston skirts that are cracking its the main webbing where the main caps bolt in.and if they are deep enough you get water in the oil.and if it happens to have the dexcool anti-freeze the oil will turn into a jello type substance,this is a good indicater of this problem,also i forgot to mention the pmd's which is pump mounted driver,this regulates the fuel,of all the stupid places to put a piece of electronics,which don't like heat they mount it right on the side of the pump which is in the valley of the engine,lots of heat.symptoms are random dying at any speed.usually starts right back up but will get worse,you can buy remote heat sinks to mount them on that help cure the problem.if you could get by with a 2wd 3/4 i have one i'd part with,but it doesn't have the 3rd seat or rear heat,it was sold new in miami and has been a southern vehicle all it's life,the guy i got it from said it's never seen snow.also one other thing,the 6.5 for some reason is hard on the harmonic balancer and lower crank pulley,the balancer when it slips will cause a vibration in the engine,result is usually a broken crank,the bal and pulley will set you back about 300.mine has just had these and a t-chain and inj's done.
blizzardman

Postby Thunder Cummins » January 12th, 2005, 7:07 am

Pantera, the 6.0 is the new PSD from Navistar built to Ford specs.But as the 7.3 PSD is really a fordized T444 IH the 6.0 is the VT365 IH.Ford just really messes these up with the changes they make (more hp)But the 2000-2003 Excursions have the 7.3 PSD (good one)and will get 14-15 mpg pulling 5000 lbs.

On the dodge scene they will be releasing a KING CAB that insiders say will have more room than chevy / ford.It comes with a 5-speed auto and Cummins 5.9 TD is what I heard.But I have seen one in person at The Palace of Auburn Hills when DCX rented it last month so it's a go.

Breakin the Law
Fear the Diesel!!!
Thunder Cummins

Postby Thunder Cummins » January 12th, 2005, 7:12 am

[quote]it's not the piston skirts that are cracking its the main webbing where the main caps bolt in.and if they are deep enough you get water in the oil.and if it happens to have the dexcool anti-freeze the oil will turn into a jello type substance,this is a good indicater of this problem,also i forgot to mention the pmd's which is pump mounted driver,this regulates the fuel,of all the stupid places to put a piece of electronics,which don't like heat they mount it right on the side of the pump which is in the valley of the engine,lots of heat.symptoms are random dying at any speed.usually starts right back up but will get worse,you can buy remote heat sinks to mount them on that help cure the problem.if you could get by with a 2wd 3/4 i have one i'd part with,but it doesn't have the 3rd seat or rear heat,it was sold new in miami and has been a southern vehicle all it's life,the guy i got it from said it's never seen snow.also one other thing,the 6.5 for some reason is hard on the harmonic balancer and lower crank pulley,the balancer when it slips will cause a vibration in the engine,result is usually a broken crank,the bal and pulley will set you back about 300.mine has just had these and a t-chain and inj's done.[/quote]

Why do keep punishing yourself blizz?That would scare the avg. joe out of buying ANY DIESEL!
Come on over to Dodgeland with the ultra reliable CUMMINS :C

Breakin the Law
Fear the Diesel!!!
Thunder Cummins

Postby Thunder Cummins » January 12th, 2005, 7:16 am

[quote][quote]snake321,
Pantera[/quote]

water jacket holes,cracked blocks,endless glow plug and injector pump failures.Guys are running them chock full of block seal. I guess after you work on something sooo long, you can't quit..[/quote]

LMFAO!!! :)

Breakin the Law
Fear the Diesel!!!
Thunder Cummins

Postby YAMALARIS » January 12th, 2005, 9:13 am

The 6.5 is a steaming pile of gopher schitt!

2 of our company trucks are 95 1 tons with the 6.5. Neither one has more than 40K on them and they have been nothing but trouble! Injector pumps fell off both last summer and timing got all screwed up. Heads leak like crazy on both, worst cold starting diesel I've ever owned. There's also a bunch of electrical problems with them. Not to mention if your looking at a 4x4 they have the slowest working automatic hubs in the world! On cold days ours can take 5-10 minutes before the 4x4 kicks in.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/crashnmash/eastern.jpg[/img]
YAMALARIS

PreviousNext

Return to Trash Talkers