Subscribe Today

OT: GM 6.5L Turbo Diesel: Good or Bad.....

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby Wicks Viper » January 13th, 2005, 2:52 am

Pantera, I have a 2003 Ford superduty 6.0 Diesel & the thing runs great it's a crew cab big S.O.B. but I also have alot of people I bring with me I hear ya though about the cell phones that's why I test drove both the chevy diesel with the allison trans & the ford 6.0 the ford was 3 times quieter than the chevy & more pulling power than everbody else.but it doesn't have on star so gotta get the cellphones J.I.C. good luck with what ever you buy!!
Wicks Viper

Postby mach1mikeM1M » January 13th, 2005, 3:45 am

Smack,you are right i have worked at some high end dealers and we never even let mechanics in.We had high expectaions for them.the closest we had were the Lube rack guys and the Techs in training.Im not looking for a fight here,im shure you guys here arguing this are great at what you do.I just never met a mechanic who did great work.Ed it is more then just a name,I knew guys with 35 years of experience who could not diagnois simple electrical problems or use a A/C EVAC machine.It is the pride you take in your work and the never ending need for knowledge that seperate the two.Maybe some of you guys arguing that their is no difference between the two,know no better but maybe you do not have the confidence in your work to know the difference.Once again im not trying to insult you or your work.I just have had this argument before.Mechanics would always be the first out the door at the end of the day and biatch about staying a little late to get the job done.Techs would always stay late clean up after their mess and wipe the grease off the car when they were done.They also made 6 figure incomes,and the mechanics always biatched that they did not make the same.If you want to see one of the places i worked at for 6 years goto [url=http://www.motorwerks.com] push here[/url]
mach1mikeM1M

Postby Pantera » January 13th, 2005, 6:28 am

Lot's of comments to reply to. Sorry for the long post, thought it would be easier than all the individual ones.

First of all I think a couple things were not read properly, snake321 comments were about the 6.9L Navistar engine in an older F350, not the 6.5L GM engine.

Blizzardman, guess I didn't read your first response correctly, my fault, thought it was the pistons and not the block webbing. (And yes I know what that is, I rebuild my IH engines when the time comes which is usually around the 175K-200K mile mark.) I definitely need a 4x4, gonna be running around pulling a 4 place enclosed trailer and I know from past experience I can't even get out of my yard with a 2wd in the winter. Thanks again for all the info.

Thundercummins, I did figure out the 6.0L was the new Navistar from someones other reply but thanks for clarifying. And again, snake321 was talking about the 6.9L engine.

Yamalaris, were those company trucks purchased new or used and what is their maintenance schedule like? Another thing about company vehicles that I know all too well is that if you have different people driving them all of which don't own them or have to pay for repairs they don't take care of them the way you should. I've seen people start up trucks at 10 below zero and take off down the road w/o letting them warm up properly. That's definitely gonna shorten the life expectancy of that engine. Many people do the same thing with sleds and we all hear about them cold-seizing the engine.

Catnfool, I know all about turning up the pumps and what it can do to an engine. Bottom line: turn up the boost, shorten the life. We have a dump truck with the pump turned up on the 290 Cummins and that sucker will blow by anyone on the road of similar size. I even walked away from a Peterbuilt with a 425 Cat that was so surprised he raised me on the CB to find out what I had under the hood. After I told him I think he was a bit embarrassed even after I told him the pump was turned up.

Mechanic vs. Service Technician: No difference in my book, it's all in what you want to call it. My dad and grandfather were mechanics. Both worked for a GM dealership in rural MN and never once did I hear them contradict anyone who called them a mechanic vs a Service Technician. My grandfather is past-away and my father after about 20 yrs of fixing cars and trucks went into business for himself hauling gravel, rock, etc. Call it what you like, makes no difference to me.

Quote: "If it wasn't for gm putting diesels in back in the late 70's where would we be today with diesel's?"

Actually GM wasn't the first American Mfg to start using diesel engines in SUV's. International offered a D-301 in their 1968 model pickups and then put the SD-198 in their 1976-1980 Scout II series of SUV's. The 1980 models were Turbocharged. International was technically the first American Mfg. to use a Diesel engine in a SUV type vehicle. I know most of you wouldn't know that because you are either GM, Ford or Dodge people but I just thought I would pass that along to you because many of the things you have today were pioneered by International. Another example are 4-door cab pickups, IH introduced that in 1958, long before GM or Ford. Dodge actually came in next in the early sixties.

Or how about factory 4x4's in pickups: IH again in 1955. Ford and Chevy were contracting out to the likes of Marmon Herrington (MH) and Napco and that wasn't until 1957-1958 models.

Anyway this is not a history lesson post. But thanks again for all the info and keep it coming if you have more..

Pantera
Snowmobile the America that others pass by....
Pantera

Postby Smack » January 13th, 2005, 6:42 am

You are entitled to your opinion. But its not the 60s and 70s anymore.
Smack

Postby YAMALARIS » January 13th, 2005, 8:13 am

[quote]No, not really Ed. I disagree.

A mechanic is a cretan that changes parts until the problem goes away. He usually finds himself with several "extra" pieces when he is done. Tucks them neatly in the trunk or on a shelf in the garage, just in case. If the "problem" doesn't go away, he takes the "problem" to a technician. A technician usually gets a pretty good laugh at the damage done by the mechanic. The technician will then diagnose and repair the problem and then repair all the damage caused by the mechanics "repair".

A technician has the ability to diagnose a problem based on the symptoms indicated and repair or replace the affected part, all while leaving the vehicle looking and performing just as it did when it left the assembly line. A mechanic will leave greasy fingerprints all over the steering wheel and boot tracks on the carpet. A technician takes pride in his work and it shows. A good technician will leave the vehicle looking as clean or cleaner than it was when he got it.

Mike, you worked at some high end auto dealerships. How long did they keep "mechanics" on the payroll??

You are right about 1 thing zrcrap. Gomer Pyle was a ficticional character played by Jim Nabors. Gomers part in the show was a perfect example of a "mechanic" though.[/quote]

A "Service tech" is a college boy who figures since he spent $50,000 to learn how to turn a wrench he should have a more glamorous title than "Mechanic". On my paycheck my job title is "Head Service Tech." but I can't stand the sound of that. I much prefer to be called a mechanic, or grease monkey.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/crashnmash/eastern.jpg[/img]
YAMALARIS

Postby mach1mikeM1M » January 13th, 2005, 8:18 am

Looks like we are beating a dead horse.I geuss we will just agree to disagree.:B
mach1mikeM1M

Postby YAMALARIS » January 13th, 2005, 8:20 am

[quote]Yamalaris, were those company trucks purchased new or used and what is their maintenance schedule like? Another thing about company vehicles that I know all too well is that if you have different people driving them all of which don't own them or have to pay for repairs they don't take care of them the way you should. I've seen people start up trucks at 10 below zero and take off down the road w/o letting them warm up properly. That's definitely gonna shorten the life expectancy of that engine. Many people do the same thing with sleds and we all hear about them cold-seizing the engine.

[/quote]

One was bought new, the other was bought with 3700 miles on it. All 5 of our company trucks are in for service and checkups often. We do things like our own oil changes every 3000 miles, or more often when the trucks are really being worked. Air filters and fuel filters are checked every time oil is changed, and usually replaced around 10,000 miles. The rest of the truck is serviced when they go into the dealer twice a year for inspection. As far as being abused, they do get worked. Especially during the snow season. Generally though it has only been myself and my father driving these two trucks.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/crashnmash/eastern.jpg[/img]
YAMALARIS

Postby blizzardman » January 13th, 2005, 2:34 pm

hey pantera i kinda forgot about the old scout diesels,i actually saw one about 2 yrs ago.i swear it was new.not a speck of rust,if ya know what i mean.
blizzardman

Postby Pantera » January 14th, 2005, 6:34 am

[quote]You are entitled to your opinion. But its not the 60s and 70s anymore.

[/quote]
Smack, what are you talking about? I was only stating facts, not opinions. Or are you replying to someone else??
Pantera
Pantera

Postby Pantera » January 14th, 2005, 6:37 am

Yamalaris,
Thanks for adding some detail. Definately doesn't sound like those trucks were much good, sorry to hear about that. I guess I'm still gonna pursue a 6.5L diesel Surburban unless something else comes along to change my mind.
Pantera
Pantera

PreviousNext

Return to Trash Talkers