Subscribe Today

Cat Hype!

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Cat Hype!

Postby drifter7 » October 3rd, 2005, 4:28 am

A friend of mine recently visited Thief River Falls and took a tour of the Arctic Cat plant. He and his family bleed green, so they were excited about it.

After the tour, my friend asked one of the engineers about the Crossfires. He is buying one at his dealer, in fact, it was an early release that he got to demo last winter. He asked the engineer if he should wait and buy one with all the updates, or save money and buy the one he rode. The engineer told him that very few were released early, and that they were built "pumped up" for the dealer demos and press. He said the 2006 models do not have the performace of the 2005's. Can you believe someone at the factory level telling this to a potential customer?

Needless to say, he took the one from the dealer, and was a little discusted to learn that Cat had done this. The unit he bought does not have coupler blocks in the rear skid either, but his dealer is getting them for him.

I went and checked out the sled and here is my "from the seat in the garage" review.

The footwells (for lack of a better word) suck! They are not deep enough to get your whole foot in them, and you can not lock yourseld in like other sleds. The older Cats had adjustable footwells which were nice, the Crossfire has a cheesy looking bar to put your foot under. The board do not angle up at the footwell and are not very comfortable when sitting, but are great when standing.

REV owners have nothing on the Crossfire guys. You will bang the hell out of you knees when riding aggressive on the Crossfire just like the REV's.

The guages are nice, but the handlebars look like something you would find in a lego set. Good ergos but cheap looking. (SnowGoer has got nothing on me with the cheap bar comment! LOL)

I did not see any way to check or add oil on the Diamond Drive system. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. Anyone?

It will be fun to drive it this winter, especially if it is a "pumped up" version of the lesser performing 2006 consumer version. :B
drifter7

Cat Hype!

Postby Mainecat » October 3rd, 2005, 4:35 am

Skunk is that you?

Tim I drove one last winter and I disagree. Remember these are crossover sleds and not flat highway cruisers.
Mainecat

Cat Hype!

Postby Icehole » October 3rd, 2005, 4:43 am

Yam doctrine....when the yam sleds still suck and promotin em is futile, concentrate on badmouthin the comp
Icehole

Cat Hype!

Postby drifter7 » October 3rd, 2005, 4:44 am

I think it's a really nice sled Mainecat, these are just a few things I noticed. I have yet to drive it, and you know I will give you my expert impression when I do! :B:B:B

[quote=Mainecat]Skunk is that you?
[/quote]

Hehehehehe, I didn't catch that one right away!:W
drifter7

Cat Hype!

Postby drifter7 » October 3rd, 2005, 4:45 am

Not a badmouth Ice, just my opinion. I can't badmouth a sled I have not ridden yet.
drifter7

Cat Hype!

Postby Icehole » October 3rd, 2005, 4:53 am

"The footwells (for lack of a better word) suck! "

"The guages are nice, but the handlebars look like something you would find in a lego set."

"I did not see any way to check or add oil on the Diamond Drive system. "

"Can you believe someone at the factory level telling this to a potential customer?"

Not a badmouth ice......lol
Icehole

Cat Hype!

Postby Long time cat man » October 3rd, 2005, 5:14 am

Not exactly what I've read in 3 different articles in 3 different magazines in regards to the handling and over all critique. My new Crossfire SP is due in the end of this month, I'll give ya a full report after I put my usual 3,000 miles er so on it by the end of the season. :B
Long time cat man

Cat Hype!

Postby Xtreme XC » October 3rd, 2005, 5:22 am

""pumped up" for the dealer demos and press""...

I said this on these forums a few years back. They did it with the '02 ZR8's

As far as the footwells, I don't remember them very well, but I never remember them being uncomfortable or having an issue with them either. When I was in Jackson Hole, WY in March of '04, I rode the M5, M6 and M7 preseason sleds on and off trail (not just around a little roped off track). Very confortable ergos. 10 times better than the F-cats. Felt very good setting on and riding them. No knee issues like the REV's. The handlebars may not be the prettiest in the world but they feel very good.
[IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l231/buddypaw/smallpic.jpg[/IMG]
Xtreme XC

Cat Hype!

Postby drifter7 » October 3rd, 2005, 6:05 am

I will run down to the Cat dealer and try and get some pics.
drifter7

Cat Hype!

Postby GThunda » October 3rd, 2005, 6:12 am

If I remember right one of the mags test rode one(Crossfire) and hit a deer. I believe they were happy with the footwells because it allowed them to bail and not take out the fugitive venison with their body.
GThunda

Next

Return to Trash Talkers