Subscribe Today

Sled Reliabilty- Getting Better?

Want to bash brands? Go ahead on this board. Profanity, personal attacks or sexual references will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Postby NH_Renegade » August 24th, 2001, 1:04 pm

Many of us probabaly buy a new sled before it gets on in miles, but some of you keep them till they die. So just when are they dying?

Is sled reliabilty increasing or not? One would think that with all of today's technology being used that the reliability numbers would be increasing.

So what is your take? How many miles are today's sleds going for?
[i]NH_Renegade[/i] :C
NH_Renegade

Postby NYSonic » August 24th, 2001, 1:20 pm

I'm gonna say between 4-6000 miles depending on the owner(s). If your a person who rides consistently hard for years then common knowledge tells us that the life span of will be shorter than that of someone who rides flat trails and does very little modifications to the sled. Usually cats are the first to die though.:) Just my .02cents.
There's a fine line between fishing, and standing on shore looking like an idiot.
NYSonic

Postby d-man » August 24th, 2001, 5:52 pm

If you baby your sled and keep maintenance well, then your sled will last forever, like a car-theoretically speaking of course.
HERE KITTY KITTY KITTY!
Lost your cat? Try looking in a salvage yard!
d-man

Postby 800 edgeX » August 24th, 2001, 10:50 pm

traded in my 99 with 8500 miles,only problem was 1 ripped out stud and shocks needed rebuild.and i drove that thing like a rented mule.
800 edgeX

Postby Michiganstopcat » August 24th, 2001, 11:10 pm

I RIDE A CAT SO RELIABILITY ISNT AN ISSUE BUT FROM THE NUMBERS OF OTHER MAKES TRAILSIDE BROKE DOWN ID SAY ITS ABOUT THE SAME AS IN YEARS PAST.
Michiganstopcat

Postby indyized » August 24th, 2001, 11:15 pm

It's not wether you baby it or not. I have ridden the hell out of three machines, all have very high mileage and all run and operate perfectly. It's all in how you maintain it.
indyized

Postby SLEDHEADRED » August 25th, 2001, 1:53 am

Its the way you ride it. If you ditch bang all day everyday, then you are more apt to tear it up!
I have 2 sleds to ride, so I spread my time out ion the both of them!
By buddy's Machz has 4000 miles on it, its a 99, my 99 xcr800 only has 2500 miles, but my xc700 has 1500!
My bud wants to sell his machz so he can buy a new one, dont know why, they ride like crap, I told him to keep it one more year, then peddle it!
Cant find anything wrong with it, except, rear suspension sucks! He is gonna sPend $1400.00 for an M10, this year! Hope its a good investment for him!
Would I buy a machine with 4000 miles on it-NOPE!

*This Message was edited on 25-Aug-01 06:54 AM by SLEDHEADRED*
JOIN A CLUB
[url=http://WWW.DRIFTSKIPPERS.COM]The Driftskippers[/url]
SLEDHEADRED

Postby NH_Renegade » August 25th, 2001, 2:34 am

I guess we shouldn't complain if they have been incresing HP & Ride quality while maintaining the same reliability through the years. I would say that the new sleds are equally reliable to the sleds of 10 years ago.
[i]NH_Renegade[/i] :C
NH_Renegade

Postby snoguy14 » August 25th, 2001, 1:57 pm

my 96 583 is as reliable as they come.I have only broken 1 rear spring (i have owned since 97)The engine after 8800km has only lost 10%compression.I don't always ride hard but i do like a good bunch of snow drifts and a wide open lake.my 80 blizzard is a pig i hate resetting the points every ride! resetting the clutch centers every ride! needless to say it don't see the snow very often anymore.
I'm not fast, your just slow.
snoguy14

Return to Trash Talkers