Subscribe Today

champ 600's

Want to discuss racing? Race setups? Which kind of racing is best? This is the race place!

champ 600's

Postby 17champ » June 24th, 2003, 1:05 pm

So,who is running a 600 champ sled and a 440 champ this season.
17champ

champ 600's

Postby ski-dont » June 25th, 2003, 3:50 am

Hopefully you all the way to a points title,how are the injuries healing ?
ski-dont

champ 600's

Postby SCM Pres » June 25th, 2003, 4:08 am

At the I.S.R. rules meeting, May 3rd, in Las Vegas, I brought the point.

On the EASTERN PRO TOUR, I feel that the CHAMP 440 put on a great show. They are fast enough. A Champ 600 class would add to the cost and would widen the gap between top teams and the other drivers.

In Valcourt, on Friday, when the track was perfect, we saw speeds of 102 mph. On Sunday, in the final, at the end of the day, when the track is not so smooth, the speeds turned around 98 - 99 mph.

In Beausejour, last March, Jacques V. told me he ran 102 mph with his 440 and 108 mph with his 600 (before he blew...). So far, nobody worked very seriously on a Champ 600. If we open the door, very soon, we will see speeds over 110 mph.

This difference in speed would bring us back in the F-III speeds. The best F-III drivers were crashing at that speed: Bender, Sackett, Appolson, Sturgeon, Nicholsen, Pilote (and I'm listing only those who took wild one's in Valcourt...).

Do we really need this speed to put on a good show? Do you feel that most of the existing race tracks are safe enough for the drivers at that speed?

If you want to have another class to race your Champ 440, why don't we plan a "Super Mod. 440" with the exact same rules as the Champ 440?

I will let the other racing associations speak for themselves...

Think about safety, safety and safety... We already lost too many good friends!

Marcel Fontaine
S.C.M. Pres.

SCM Pres

champ 600's

Postby Taz99 » June 25th, 2003, 9:32 am

Chris are you going to run two diferent sleds this year? In the past you always ran your champ 440 sled in the formula open race. Jacque's sled really did fly with the 600 in it at Beausejour last March. If Marcel is right about speeds of 108 to 110 mph on a half mile oval track with the 600 engine, then with 10 or 12 sleds out the track safety would be a concern to me, with the various track conditions and snow dust. It used be you guys dialed your sleds in with the open formula race on Saturday for the big champ race on Sunday with the same sled. If you see Garth and Wayne tell them to get back into oval racing. Then we would see one more great oval team out on the ice each weekend. Good Luck on next season, see you in BEAUSEJOUR in December.
Taz99

champ 600's

Postby 17champ » June 25th, 2003, 11:04 am

I do not want a 600.I would rather see the money go to the champ 440 class and do away with the open600 class completly.
17champ

champ 600's

Postby SCM Pres » June 26th, 2003, 4:32 am

17champ,

Voice your opinion to the racing association you usually join. It will certainly help.

Marcel Fontaine
SCM Pres

champ 600's

Postby 3739 » June 28th, 2003, 11:33 am

Chris

I think you should stick to champ 440 but race with a new team? I could build you a 600 but you might break both elbows.Ha Ha Ha
If you are in Winnipeg call me so we can have a cool one together by the pool

Jeff @ MPH Racing

champ 600's

Postby abbershay » June 29th, 2003, 3:42 pm

i really think you do need allot of speed to put on a good show ..........thats what racing is and if you dont like to go as fast as posible dont race with the ones that do........ if racing is so dangerous it should be stopped...... racing is about pushing the known limits. other wise there would be no need of getting past the kitty cat stage........ anyone who races knows they could die and is sad when someone does but the race trac is for going fast... thats what it is all about , its not really about the show or the money but it seems that thats what many are making out to be.

I remember a friend telling me if you went over 40 mph hour in the ditch you werent having any fun just trying to hold on and waiting to get hurt......

dotn be mad at me for this view but if speed isnt the factor we might as well be in a parade...
abbershay

champ 600's

Postby Flat-out » July 1st, 2003, 1:00 pm

The 600 champ class is definitely a spectacle like the FIII class was. A fully modified 600 cc twin is capable of making 140-150 hp. A sled with this much hp is capable of over 110 mph on a 1/2 mile track. At this speed the sleds are very difficult to handle on anything but a perfectly smooth track. Also the drive trains and tracks are over stressed at these speeds and undoubtedly there will be some catastrophic failures resulting in some nasty spills. Marcel is right that the speeds of the 440s is fast enough to put on a good show.
Dont get me wrong i like to go as fast as possible. The problem lies in the fact that nobody drives a 440 anymore on the trails. We need a 600 champ class. I would like to see a 600 Champ class that has engine restrictions of 12-1 max compression, no porting, and 30mm carbs. This would keep the power in the 120hp range(similar to the 440s) and would make racing more affordable and parts more easily accessable.
Howard>>>
Flat-out

champ 600's

Postby Taz99 » July 2nd, 2003, 3:08 am

I don't think it would fair to the top teams that have invested alot of time and money to get their champ 440's dialed in. We seem to be always wanting to change rules for oval racing. Howard you are right in saying it would make it more affordable, but I don't think it would be fair to Hooper,Wahls,Houles,Bewcyk,Sampsons,and P.J.'s teams that have spent so much money to develop their champ 440. I left out Jacque because he would say lets go for full mod champ 600's and would not mind starting all over. I would like to see champ 440 stay the same as it is now with the exception I would like to see flatside carbs added.

*This Message was edited on 02-Jul-03 02:38 PM by Taz99*
Taz99

Next

Return to General Racing Board