Subscribe Today

Snow weeks renewed commitment to grass roots racing....

Want to discuss racing? Race setups? Which kind of racing is best? This is the race place!

Postby speednutt » August 8th, 2003, 5:29 pm

As any snowweek reader knows, the first issue has just hit our mailboxes. The anticipation of what is enclosed keeps the pages flipping until the last page appears, then start all over again at the front page and see what was overlooked.

In this months issue, in the first corner section, the article is about snowweeks renewed commitment to grass roots racing. With them asking for suggestions or ideas that would help promote these smaller racing orgainzations. It is at these smaller events where most of the pro's started there dreams. I like this idea of giving them more attention.

One area that i would like to see more attention given to is Speed Running. I know that there hasn't been an organized speed run organization around for the past 3-4 years, but that is about to change this coming season. http://www.cmsaracing.com With sno-x getting so big in the last 5-6 years, there hasn't been much room for any other form of racing on any publications pages. This hurts snowmobiling as a whole.

Starting now, speed running is on it's come back. Take a look at the enclosed picture.http://www.frenchlakesnow.com/frenchlake2003/image073.htm That is one heck of a crowd that is interested in speed running. Speed running allows anyone to race without have to dig deep into there wallets. Whether as a professional or just as a rugular joe participant, the entry fees are affordable. You dont need $500 in protective gear to get started(except open mod class). There are classes available that even allow children over the age of 12 to compete. Plus the kiddy cat races for the really small children.http://www.frenchlakesnow.com/IMG_0439.JPG These are tomarrows racers.

It is becoming quite common for sleds to run in the high 150mph range for a 1000' track. That has to be something to write about. Sure it takes a big sack to jump 80' triples and 20' off the ground, i wont deny that. But try taking a sled to 150mph in 1000', that takes even bigger balls IMO. I know that going straight seems that it would be an easy no thrills type of racing, but i ask that you give it a try. you just might have found your new favorite form of racing.

Snow week, thanks for giving us a place to voice our opinions. Though everyone may not agree with my thoughts, at least i have a place to voice them. Hope to see you at the races.

Speednutt

www.cmsaracing.com
[url]www.cmsaracing.com[/url]
[img]http://www.cmsaracing.com/images/logoweb1.jpg[/img]
speednutt

Postby ATV News moderator » August 9th, 2003, 6:57 am

Thanks for the input, Speednutt. Maybe we'll see you at a speed run this winter!

Eric
ATV News moderator

Postby Spy-Guy 74 » August 9th, 2003, 11:06 am

Eric I think you should send up somebody to cover the Strathcona Race in February. Longest running oval race in Minnesota, alot of oval racers have raced there one time or another. Just a very small town in northern Minnesota sitting between Roseau and TRF and the two snowmobile comapanies. Think you could make a great story out of it. It is where they used to hand out the Polaris Cup. Some of the big names of the past in oval racing usually show up to watch the events. Vintage racing on Saturday and the new sleds on Sunday. Locals call it the Strathcona Nationals.
Big names in the past have raced their including Eastman,Bernat,
Skime,Coltom,Thompson,Pake,Bunke,Wahl,Strege, and many other local legends. You would have a great time also, as the whole community gets involved with it.
Spy-Guy 74

Postby speednutt » August 9th, 2003, 12:42 pm

For more info on speed runs this coming winter in MN. stop by our booth at haydays. Booth# 81 CMSA Racing is partenered up with Justice Brothers.

Thanks, and see you there.

SPeednutt
[url]www.cmsaracing.com[/url]
[img]http://www.cmsaracing.com/images/logoweb1.jpg[/img]
speednutt

Postby Alien » August 17th, 2003, 4:19 am

It would be nice to have a publication that supposedly is about snowmobile racing to actually cover all racing. I've noticed that the winter editions have tons of snowcross, and nothing else. Well if don't count the results in the back. Snowcross is a young persons sport only, us "old" people do many other types of racing. A normal person cannot even buy a stock 440 sled anymore. So if you say you cover snowmobile racing, cover it all....
Alien

Postby sledheadjack » August 20th, 2003, 4:45 pm

Speaking of grass roots racing, I'll be interested to see if SnowWeek covers the NSRA grass drags this year... last year, they only reported on the very last race of the circuit. Considering that it is one of the largest circuits in the midwest area, where SnowWeek is based, the lack of coverage was sad. I understand the popularity and excitement of snocross, but as the "snowmobile racing authority" I think they need to give equal attention to the other disciplines of snowmobile racing. Don't get me wrong, I still haunt the mailbox waiting for the latest issue, and I wouldn't consider letting my subscription lapse, but at the same time it is frustrating.
[blue]All work & no PLAY makes the pit chick a dull girl!;)[/blue]My DRINKING TEAM has a RACING problem!! DITCH the DUDES, let's go [red]RACING![/red]:p [img]http://www.sledheadjack.homestead.com/files/drink_n_drivesmall.jpg[/img]
sledheadjack

Postby Kevlarr Motor Sports » August 21st, 2003, 12:16 am

I would love to subscribe to the newspaper, but I don't live in Minesota or care much about snowcross. I think that it would be great if they gave more ink space to some of the smaller racing organizations. When this happens I'll start subscribing, rather than buying individual issues.
[url]http://wsrc1.tripod.com/home.htm[/url]
Kevlarr Motor Sports

Postby ATV News moderator » August 22nd, 2003, 7:25 pm

We'll be at the Princeton,Minnesota, race this weekend, which is an NSRA race. The race will be featured in the issue that comes out in mid-Setember.

Eric Skogman
ATV News moderator

Return to General Racing Board